Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

rocknice2

Apr 26, 2007, 2:42 AM
Post #26 of 94 (3576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [richardvg03] carabiners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
What are you talking about?? HAHAHA WHAT did I delete???
Your signature!

richardvg03 wrote:
I'm sorry I send shivers down your spine... i have that effect on people :) :)
A moron with a gun affects a lot of people. Next you'll tell us your applying for a job in the post office

richardvg03 wrote:
I'm sorry I don't meet your expectations of a Scout/Sniper... I'll call the Gny in charge of the school and tell him to change the itinerary...
No need to change the itinerary just the minimum IQ.

richardvg03 wrote:
and the Corps... is spelt? [spelled] with an S at the end... are you even an American??
NO .... are you?

richardvg03

Apr 26, 2007, 2:46 AM
Post #27 of 94 (3572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] carabiners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes I am an American... and not just by birth either... earned by sweat AND blood... and I didn't delete my signature dumbass... do me a favor... go play in traffic :)

elnero

Apr 26, 2007, 2:58 AM
Post #28 of 94 (3566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm amazed at the number of smiley faces you can incorporate into your threads. impressive, really.

But yeah, trying to save a few bucks is a very bad idea. If you go on gearexpress.com or mgear.com you can find biners for about 4.50 a piece if you buy a couple at once. That, or take angry's deal of what was.. $2 a biner? those will hold a fall, toproping or leading or whatever. home depot biners will, as stated, hold your keys.

rocknice2

Apr 26, 2007, 3:14 AM
Post #29 of 94 (3559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
Yes I am an American... and not just by birth either... earned by sweat AND blood... and I didn't delete my signature dumbass... do me a favor... go play in traffic :)
Are you saying one needs bleed before becoming a true patriot? Lets just hope you don't earn your status as a rockclimber in the same manner.

I copied this before you deleted it.....
richardvg03 wrote:
United States Marine Corps
Scout/Sniper
OIF II/ OIFIII
Sgt. Gilbert

Go play at Home Depot

kyleshea

Apr 26, 2007, 3:51 AM
Post #30 of 94 (3543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] carabiners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, I knew Marines were stupid but I didn't think they were that stupid.
Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Expected

HAHAHAHAHA!

richardvg03

Apr 26, 2007, 3:57 AM
Post #31 of 94 (3539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyleshea] carabiners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guys... I'm really having a hard time understanding why this is a stupid question... I asked if biners from home depot would work for anchors... the way I looked at it was by seeing how much weight the biner could hold and then comparing that to how much I weight... seeing that the biner could handle a lot more weight than 175 lbs it made me curious weather or not it'd work... I know I'm not the only one here that has thought that. hahahaha I'm just the only one who will ask it out loud...

Canadian... GO FUCK YOURSELF! Have a good day :)

guccipiggy

Apr 26, 2007, 4:04 AM
Post #32 of 94 (3534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seriously dude, STAY OFF THE ROCKS.
Dumb people are not allowed at the crags.

elnero

Apr 26, 2007, 4:11 AM
Post #33 of 94 (3529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
guys... I'm really having a hard time understanding why this is a stupid question... I asked if biners from home depot would work for anchors... the way I looked at it was by seeing how much weight the biner could hold and then comparing that to how much I weight... seeing that the biner could handle a lot more weight than 175 lbs it made me curious weather or not it'd work... I know I'm not the only one here that has thought that. hahahaha I'm just the only one who will ask it out loud...

I think one of the big reasons is that you should use the proper gear, and use it correctly. Will a home depot biner work? maybe. Will a black diamond biner work, yes. Static and dynamic forces are very different, and while the biner may hold you hanging on the rope, what happens when you take a fall and the the biner is no longer strong enough? long story short, seems like a silly thing to save a few bucks on. use an old school bookbag to carry gear to crags instead of a fancy osprey or something and save money there. don't try and use non-climbing gear as climbing gear. .. really not sure why this thread is still going on.

richardvg03

Apr 26, 2007, 4:14 AM
Post #34 of 94 (3523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elnero] carabiners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

really not sure why this thread is still going on.

me neither dude hahahaha I think it's because here at RC.com we can't just answer a question by yes or no...

duckbuster_13

Apr 26, 2007, 4:23 AM
Post #35 of 94 (3514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

elnero wrote:
richardvg03 wrote:
guys... I'm really having a hard time understanding why this is a stupid question...

If I may attempt to help you out a bit dude... (because it really is the entire RC.com community vs. You right now. )

The question is not entirely stupid. You're a beginner, you're curious... you ask. Fine. Thats why we have a beginners section of the forum. I think you're legit there.

However, the fact that you ignore the advice of everyone who has responded to you trying as they might to give you the correct answer... and yet you ignore it and blatantly state that you're going to do it anyway...THAT makes it a stupid question, because then it's really not a question at all. If you don't care anything for what the response is, it's rhetorical.. and last I checked, there aren't any forums sections specifically for questions that no one is supposed to respond to.

Bottom line, if you don't want to follow the experienced advice of those gracious enough to waste their time trying to convince you not to kill yourself by saving $2 at a hardware store... fine. But don't be mistaken about who is exercising stupidity... be it in a question, or in actions.

Furthermore:
I checked out some of your other questions in the beginner's forum in the recent past... it seems to be a mixture of genuine interest and being a gigantic troll. If you really want solid advice on climbing, try being more respectful to those who are telling you how not to die.

BTW... I REALLY am trying to help you out here. Please take the advice in the spirit it's given.

kyleshea

Apr 26, 2007, 4:25 AM
Post #36 of 94 (3510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im not canadian, i just hang out up here. did i hit a little close to home on that one?

richardvg03

Apr 26, 2007, 4:30 AM
Post #37 of 94 (3503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [duckbuster_13] carabiners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHA I understand now... i frogot to write SARCASM after something I said!!

I'm obviously not going to do something if I think it's going to kill me!! I understand MOST people in this forum know a hell of a lot more about climbing then me (obviously)!!! Obviously I'm going to take their advice. I already have a log book where I print out my questions and answers and put it in a 3 ring binder with a sheet protector so when I DO become a well informed and much better climber I can take a noob under my wings and pass the book along. Unfortunaly I don't have anybody to show me the ropes right now so I'm learning how to climb here at RC.com hahaha

About the whole troll thing... you can't sit here and tell me some of my posts aren't funny as hell! I think a lot of people here need to relax... it's a forum board guys! Not a flame throwing contest! HAHAHA

now with that said... i bought this compas thing at wal-mart that has a build in biner... i was wondering if that'd work for an anchor... SARCASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Thanks for the reply dude!

foeslts16

Apr 26, 2007, 4:31 AM
Post #38 of 94 (3502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

would you idiots please calm down.

rocknice2 - what the fuck, are you like 12 years old.. got to show us how smart you are?

richardvg03 - you are new to rc, chill, maybe earn some respect from the users here before you start stirring up shit.

if you idiots feel the need to carry on with your little soap opera - do it via private message.

fulton

Apr 26, 2007, 4:32 AM
Post #39 of 94 (3502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
guys... I'm really having a hard time understanding why this is a stupid question... I asked if biners from home depot would work for anchors

The problem with answering your question is that we don't know exactly what you mean by "anchors."

The other part of the problem is that we don't know what you mean by "home depot carabiners" - we imagine you mean either shitty snap-link jobbies for hanging lights and stuff, OR

we imagine that by "home depot carabiner" you mean quick-links, aka screw links, which are fine, even desirable in some situations, in sizes 5/8" and larger for specific applications.

If "anchors" means "top rope anchors" - then no, "home depot carabiners," quick links too, are a stupid Idea and you should buy real carabiners (sorry Tony Stewart).

But, If you mean "anchors" as in perminate "top anchors" - like at the top of a sport climb or a rappel, then that is a ligit question--Because then we know you're asking what combination of bolt, hanger, chain, quicklink, and possible carabiner to deploy for the good of the community.

Of course, since you don't even know how to clarify your question, its likely we should just start calling you names, I prefer dip shit - but others like fucktard, I've been called both.

richardvg03

Apr 26, 2007, 4:43 AM
Post #40 of 94 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fulton] carabiners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well i was referring to an anchor at the top of a top rope set up... and the biners I was talking about were spring and their tag said they held 550 lbs a peice... I thought maybe 3 of them would work well... but I guess I'm wrong huh...

this is the type of anchor I'm talking about

http://www.richsobel.com/images/EssentialClimbing2005/MyFirstAnchor.jpg

duckbuster_13

Apr 26, 2007, 4:45 AM
Post #41 of 94 (3490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
In reply to:
... you can't sit here and tell me some of my posts aren't funny as hell! I think a lot of people here need to relax... it's a forum board guys! Not a flame throwing contest! HAHAH!

I'd agree with you on both notes actually.
I'm personally a fan of sarcasm and dry comedy... so I think that adding "sarcasm" to the end of every post is a bit much...
Maybe just exercise some restraint and we'll all call it a day.

Now.. for the sake of closure, I too will relegate myself to calling you "fucktard" ... you then you can exercise the obligatory, " no You're the fucktard... maybe we should call you "Fuckbuster_13" ... and we'll all move on with our lives. Have a nice day. Tongue

jt512

Apr 26, 2007, 5:23 AM
Post #42 of 94 (3483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
being in the Corps there's nothing you can say or do to make butt hurt

I always heard the Marines were "close," but I never imagined...

Jay

jt512

Apr 26, 2007, 5:29 AM
Post #43 of 94 (3479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
guys... I'm really having a hard time understanding why this is a stupid question... I asked if biners from home depot would work for anchors... the way I looked at it was by seeing how much weight the biner could hold and then comparing that to how much I weight... seeing that the biner could handle a lot more weight than 175 lbs it made me curious weather or not it'd work... I know I'm not the only one here that has thought that.

OK, here's the deal: if you want to survive in rock climbing, stop thinking, as you're obviously not very good at it. There is a reason we don't use hardware from Home Depot as anchors. Just accept that we know what we are doing, and do what we do. Surely, as a Marine, this philosophy is not foreign to you.

Jay

a.a.

Apr 26, 2007, 6:21 AM
Post #44 of 94 (3455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the way I looked at it was by seeing how much weight the biner could hold and then comparing that to how much I weight... seeing that the biner could handle a lot more weight than 175 lbs it made me curious weather or not it'd work..

In reply to:
and the biners I was talking about were spring and their tag said they held 550 lbs a peice.

Alright, this HAS to be a troll now. No one could be this stupid.

curt

Apr 26, 2007, 6:25 AM
Post #45 of 94 (3453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [a.a.] carabiners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a.a. wrote:
In reply to:
the way I looked at it was by seeing how much weight the biner could hold and then comparing that to how much I weight... seeing that the biner could handle a lot more weight than 175 lbs it made me curious weather or not it'd work..

In reply to:
and the biners I was talking about were spring and their tag said they held 550 lbs a peice.

Alright, this HAS to be a troll now. No one could be this stupid.

Anytime you make that assumption, you're just setting yourself up to be proven wrong.

Curt

rocknice2

Apr 26, 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #46 of 94 (3430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:

And you wonder why your hated by the rest of the world.

You got your answer about the HD biner yet you still persist. Just do it.

sgauss

Apr 26, 2007, 1:36 PM
Post #47 of 94 (3391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
well i was referring to an anchor at the top of a top rope set up... and the biners I was talking about were spring and their tag said they held 550 lbs a peice... I thought maybe 3 of them would work well... but I guess I'm wrong huh...

this is the type of anchor I'm talking about

http://www.richsobel.com/images/EssentialClimbing2005/MyFirstAnchor.jpg

Just to stay on topic, let's throw out a couple of facts here, without degenerating into a complete top rope anchor course. A typical top rope anchor uses TWO biners. The typical climbing carabiner is rated at over 20 KiloNewtons. A KiloNewton is about 225 lbs. Your Home Depot anchor is rated at less than 2 1/2 KN. Triple it up, and you're at 7.5KN, which is still about 1/3 the strength of 1 climbing carabiner.

Should it hold a static (i.e. non-moving) load? Probably...but the quality assurance on that non-climbing carabiner is nowhere near the standard for climbing gear. However, and this is the biggie, if you fall, even on toprope, you're going to generate a dynamic load that can _GREATLY_ exceed your body weight. The exact force is going to depend on how far you fall, the stretch on your rope, etc, so I can't give you a number.

But bottom line: $25 for five basic oval climbing biners is a bargain compared to the cost of a climbing rope. Those carabiners are something you will literally be betting your life on. You might even consider spending a few bucks more, and upgrading two of those to lockers for the anchor point. The other three are spares for anchor building.

rocknice2

Apr 26, 2007, 2:04 PM
Post #48 of 94 (3379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sgauss] carabiners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Home Depot biner is rated to 2.5Kn but that is a SWL[Safe Working Limit]. Ultimate breaking strength = about 3 X SWL. So tripled up HD. biners @ 7.5Kn SWL would be as strong as 1 climbing biner. Now having said that 3 HD biners are more expensive than 2 cheapo climbing biners. These real climbing biners will be useable when you lead.

To EVERYONE I'm sorry that I had a large hand in the deterioration of this thread, for that I apologize.

KILL THE TROLL

sky7high

Apr 26, 2007, 2:13 PM
Post #49 of 94 (3370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't use them, its cheaper to just buy a regular carabiner, they are more practical, lighter and more useful if you plan to continue climbing. if you insist to buy your gear at the hardware store, get maillons/quicklinks, (the kind you screw shut) they should hold just fine, given they are thick enough (think 3/8-1/2 inch),CHECK AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE MADE FROM STEEL! your rope is probably not going to like them though.
BTW, I have taken lead falls in the gym right before clipping, with two arms of slack(where loads aren't that bad) to 1/4 inch thick maillons, they hold fine. However, my mentor took this to real rock and fell on them, he's still alive, and hasn't broken any of them yet, but they will hold no more than 5 kN which is even worse than a carabiner with its gat open. 3/4 and 1/2 inch thick maillons will hold OK for most applications including typical dynamic loads.

Bottom line: SOME types of hardware-store "carabiners" are acceptable, though not desirable in regular applications. PLEASE buy carabiners, the offer they just made you is good and costs a lot less than buying the links.

PS. would you care stop the flames damnit?

skinnyclimber

Apr 26, 2007, 2:18 PM
Post #50 of 94 (3361 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] carabiners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
richardvg03 wrote:
so I take that as a no... seeing that I'm a cheap ass Marine and I don't get paid that much... I'm going to try them out anyways probably... Wink

If you're referring to the steel rapid links, they should work fine for anchors assuming you get big ones. If you get the big steel clovis hook it will certainly hold your weight too, though they weigh a couple pounds each.

If you're talking the aluminum keyring type biners, and I think you might be, don't do it. They won't break immediately but will break. When? Wouldn't you like to know....

If you really want to save money on cheap stuff that will hold some real weight, PM me. I can probably scrounge together 10 full strength biners I don't like very well. Mostly old, booty, or with narrow gate openings. They will all work smoother and be safer than any hardware store crap. How does $20 shipped sound?

It's not my responsibility to keep you from killing yourself but for fucks sake, this is just too easy.

Hey angry, if he doesn't guy those 'biners I sure as phuck will... Honestly I don't know why he wouldn't

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook