RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

duckbuster_13

Apr 27, 2007, 2:27 PM
Post #1 of 1 (951 views)
Shortcut

Access Issue: Closed with no climbing history
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, so i'm not sure if this should be posted in regional issues or not... but probably not since as far as I know, no one in my region climbs.

I live in Quincy, Illinois which is almost 5 hours from jackson falls (south) and the mississippi palisades are about 3 hours north.

Needless to say, i'm in a dead area for climbing. I live on the mississipi river bluff and while there are climbing possibilities around... most of it is choss limestone and on private property anyway.

there is one exception. There is a small (50 acre?) park managed by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources that is home to about a 1/2 mile stretch of creek that is flanked on both sides by 45 foot limestone cliffs. The choss level varies, but by all accounts it would be decent climbing.

The issue is this: There is a big sign that says
"climbing and rappelling is dangerous and strictly prohibited, violators will be prosecuted." or something to that effect.

The fact that is spells out the dangerous part leads me to believe there is some history of accident here, but I've not been able to turn up any records about why it's closed to climbing.. or that it was ever even "open" to climbing.

here are the only links I was able to find even mentioning the site:

http://dnr.state.il.us/INPC/agendas/Agen179.htm
http://131.156.59.13/ipo/2000/oi000211.html

So i guess i have a lot of questions here:

1) i've called my local DNR office before about different things and have unsuccessfully been able to crack their fortress of secretaries. What sort of channels (official or otherwise) are available to find out information about this topic?

2) one of the links states that the site is a "significant geological natural area because of the exceptional natural exposures of Burlington limestone.

With that in mind... what are the chances of even limited climbing/bouldering being opened up?

It would be nice to get some feedback from some locals... but I'll take advice from anyone. especially from folks who have specifically dealt with anything similar... be it a successful venture or otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any help i might get.

(btw: I have just sent an email to a local access fund coordinator to the same effect, but I'm pretty new to how things like this work and would like to get some outside info as well. )

here is a pic from the entrance to the gorge while we were heading upstream in an attempt to run the falls in kayaks:

(This post was edited by duckbuster_13 on Apr 27, 2007, 2:33 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook