RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

doktor_g

Apr 29, 2007, 6:58 AM
Post #1 of 15 (668 views)
Shortcut

Original Tube chocks?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gear historians?

Who made the first mass marketed SLCD Tube chocks (like Big Bros)?

Mine have "MH" stamped in the side and they're old.

Grover

Partner kimgraves

Apr 29, 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #2 of 15 (648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doktor_g] Original Tube chocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember Yvion Chouinard and Tom Frost making them at the Great Pacific Iron Works in the 70's. They're dead simple, but only had two modes of placement: end to end or in an appropriate constriction. But of course they came out too easily. The new hexes were a big improvement.

Best, Kim

Edit: Opps, I guess I should read the questions prior to answering. LaughLaughLaugh

(This post was edited by kimgraves on Apr 29, 2007, 10:26 PM)

unreleasedenergy

Apr 29, 2007, 1:39 PM
Post #3 of 15 (632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mountain hardware made some of the early ones.
probably why yours have MH stamped on them.
I'm not sure who made the first ones.

ja1484

Apr 29, 2007, 2:11 PM
Post #4 of 15 (624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AFAIK, and I could be wrong on this, the first *spring loaded* tube chocks *were* BigBros, invented by Craig Luebben and sold as a design to Trango.

Now, non-active tube chocks had been around for ages before then, made by scads of manufacturers along with a lot of average joes in machine shop sheds in their back yards.

vegastradguy

Apr 29, 2007, 2:40 PM
Post #5 of 15 (611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Original Tube chocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Big Bros started out as Mountain Hardwear gear (Luebben designed), and then later became Trango (i cant remember if they were sold under an intermediate label between those two, though).

gunkiemike

Apr 30, 2007, 9:14 PM
Post #6 of 15 (544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A BigBro is neither a "chock" nor a SLCD.

But I'm glad to see someone was able to get past this errant jargon to answer your Q.

dharmatreez

Apr 30, 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #7 of 15 (506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Original Tube chocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i think i remember the original big bro to be Craig's engineering thesis/project in college.

but i could be wrong...

jae

ja1484

Apr 30, 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #8 of 15 (482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Original Tube chocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
A BigBro is neither a "chock" nor a SLCD.

But I'm glad to see someone was able to get past this errant jargon to answer your Q.

A BigBro is definitely a tube-chock. As you can see here on Trango's website:

http://www.trango.com/prod.php?id=34

The manufacturers themselves refer to them as a "tube chock design".

So you're wrong there. But I love you anyway.

As it happens, it is spring loaded, but you are correct that it's not an SLCD as there isn't any camming involved in it's operation.

So, 1-1 for today.

roy_hinkley_jr

Apr 30, 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #9 of 15 (463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well if you're going to be pedantic...a BigBro does in fact work by camming not wedging. And it is spring loaded. So it is indeed an SLCD. Tube chocks work by wedging and have no spring, so they are chocks.

ja1484

May 1, 2007, 12:42 AM
Post #10 of 15 (427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] Original Tube chocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
Well if you're going to be pedantic...a BigBro does in fact work by camming not wedging. And it is spring loaded. So it is indeed an SLCD. Tube chocks work by wedging and have no spring, so they are chocks.

You may be right, but I'm not sure I see how. As far as I'm aware the active phase of a BigBro involves sizing it to the crack and then locking it at that length. Pulling on the chock once set does absolutely nothing in terms of it's action.

As a matter of fact, the entire point of the spring expansion of a BigBro is that the chock can be sized so that it wedges in the crack, eliminating the need to built tube chocks to order or hope the ones you have fit some constriction or another on the climb.

So, please elaborate on your position. Camming involves a downward force being translated to a lateral force exerted by lobes on the device. BigBros neither have lobes, nor translate downward pull to outward force. They just wedge, because they're tube chocks, albeit tube chocks with adjustable size.

I maintain my position: BigBros are tube chocks, not SLCDs.

shockabuku

May 1, 2007, 12:48 AM
Post #11 of 15 (421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
roy_hinkley_jr wrote:

You may be right, but I'm not sure I see how. As far as I'm aware the active phase of a BigBro involves sizing it to the crack and then locking it at that length. Pulling on the chock once set does absolutely nothing in terms of it's action.

As a matter of fact, the entire point of the spring expansion of a BigBro is that the chock can be sized so that it wedges in the crack, eliminating the need to built tube chocks to order or hope the ones you have fit some constriction or another on the climb.

So, please elaborate on your position. Camming involves a downward force being translated to a lateral force exerted by lobes on the device. BigBros neither have lobes, nor translate downward pull to outward force. They just wedge, because they're tube chocks, albeit tube chocks with adjustable size.

Why do you suppose the cord is offset and not centered like a nut? One end is positioned as a fulcrum and as the cord pulls down on the other end the tube rotates into position in a camming action. It's like trigonometry.

ja1484

May 1, 2007, 1:04 AM
Post #12 of 15 (413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Original Tube chocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
roy_hinkley_jr wrote:

Why do you suppose the cord is offset and not centered like a nut? One end is positioned as a fulcrum and as the cord pulls down on the other end the tube rotates into position in a camming action. It's like trigonometry.

Not according to Trango's instructions:

http://www.trango.com/pdfs/BBInfoSheet.pdf

But I'd love for you to convince me otherwise. Feel free to give it a shot, but you're going to have to come up with some really good evidence to hold water.

EDIT: As I understand it, the cordage sling is off to one side to prevent the tube from abrading it as the chock is collapsed. I don't believe it has anything to do with any camming action for two primary reasons:

- BigBros can be placed vertically if conditions permit, and direction of pull is not necessarily rotational in this situation and

- The tube length is already, supposedly, locked off by the screw collar when the chock is set. In an ideal placement, further expansion of the chock is not necessary.

But again, feel free to prove me wrong. I like to know when I'm wrong. Helps me get it right.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on May 1, 2007, 1:11 AM)

vegastradguy

May 1, 2007, 1:10 AM
Post #13 of 15 (404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

Not according to Trango's instructions:

http://www.trango.com/pdfs/BBInfoSheet.pdf

But I'd love for you to convince me otherwise. Feel free to give it a shot, but you're going to have to come up with some really good evidence to hold water.

um, thats exactly what the instructions note- the cord is on one side of the bro.

bros arent placed perfectly horizontal, they're placed at a slight angle [the ends of a bro are not straight, they're set at opposing angles]- the cord is on the uphill side of this angle- when you fall it pulls down and the bro cams into the rock to hold.

ja1484

May 1, 2007, 1:14 AM
Post #14 of 15 (402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Original Tube chocks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you could be right. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. But I would see this as more of a passive camming action a-la tricams, the spring not being involved (unless it's a loose placement, and I wouldn't want to trust that).

So what shall we call it then? A spring loaded camming tube chock? SLCTC? That's a mouthful.

gunkiemike

May 1, 2007, 1:41 AM
Post #15 of 15 (378 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

(aw jeez...look what I started...)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook