Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
New River Rendezvous (May 17-20)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

dbrayack

Apr 19, 2007, 7:06 PM
Post #176 of 324 (5178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [niccast] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The comp is Sat; Its your top 10 routes, and yes, its based on the honors system.

Also, there will be a list of routes worth "double" points...say you do XX 5.10a, worth 400 points, well its a double pointer, so you get 800 points, etc.

-Dan

dbrayack

Apr 20, 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #177 of 324 (5159 views)
Shortcut

Re: [niccast] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Things are starting to shape up for the Rendezvous. We had a meeting last night to dicuss various aspects, though we focused on two things of importance:

1. Volunteers, especially parking. We are in dire need of volunteers for the rendezvous. Being a volunteer constitutes a four hour committment helping us out. Volunteers get shirts, more exclusive "beverage" access, first dibs on food, and parking...that sort of thing....pretty much, you'll be a cool person in our book! (And you can know that you helped make this event kickin!)

Since parking is a "tough" job, we will consider 2 hours of "parking duty" to fullfill the 4 hour volunteer committment.

If you'd like to volunteer, please check out the Rendezvous website, specifically here:

http://newriverrendezvous.com/volunteers.html

I will discuss #2 in a seperate post.

(This post was edited by dbrayack on Apr 20, 2007, 11:57 AM)

dbrayack

Apr 20, 2007, 11:59 AM
Post #178 of 324 (5153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr8615] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

#2. We need to be extra careful. Though it has never been a problem, we want to make sure that THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO DRINKING AND DRIVING. The police will be patrolling heavily and will be setting up sobriety check points.

In the past, beverages have run out early, so please plan ahead; If you think you'll need extra refreshing liquids, please purchase these before hand.

Once you start partying, PLEASE STAY AT BURNWOOD. You'll be fine there, we just care about you and don't want you to drink and drive.

Thanks, I'd like to ask that people help self police this...if you want to keep the even as is, then this is quite important.

Thanks,

-Dan

truello

Apr 20, 2007, 1:43 PM
Post #179 of 324 (5126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was under the impression that you were getting more than enough volunteers, but after seeing that message I sent an email to signup. Cool

dbrayack

Apr 20, 2007, 1:54 PM
Post #180 of 324 (5122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [truello] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent, thanks a bunch!

We're getting a bunch, but there's soooooo much going on this year. (We're trying to make it bigger and better than ever)

Partner mr8615

Apr 22, 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #181 of 324 (5092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrayack wrote:
TWO BAG FACE!

Doooood!!!!! Good one! Damn, any chance we could make it shooter for the day instead of only one route?

Partner mr8615

Apr 22, 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #182 of 324 (5087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in for the pancake breakfast and cleanup after that. Whatever else ya'll need, I'm down, I'll be there Thursday night til Sunday when we're done.

Jay, Wendy, Dan, Kistlers, Parker, Elaina, so on and so forth, you guys rock and I miss you already. Hopefully I can get a couple days up there between now and the Rendezvous, we'll see.

kachoong

Apr 27, 2007, 3:34 AM
Post #183 of 324 (5039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr8615] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Three Weeks!!!!!!!!!! Cool

WinkSmileTongueCrazyLaugh Woo hooo!!!!!

Partner j_ung

Apr 30, 2007, 2:49 PM
Post #184 of 324 (5006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Eighteen days and counting!!!!

Hey all, an email blast went out to NRAC members with some pretty key beta for this year's 'Vous. Just in case you didn't get it...

In reply to:
New River Alliance of Climbers (NRAC) presents the 5th annual New River Rendezvous, May 18-20!! We hope you are planning to return. No registration required. Same great program with the addition of some great bells and whistles…

Check out our new website for details: www.newriverrendezvous.com

1. Rain or Shine!! We will be running the entire program no matter what! Bring your outerwear and forget about weather.com—we’ll have fun no matter what!
2. Carpool!! Parking continues to be an issue.
3. Behave responsibly—the National Park Service has informed us there will be more law enforcement (in and out of uniform) so be forewarned!! We highly recommend that you don’t leave Burnwood once the party has started. The cops will be lurking and the venue gates will likely close making it impossible to get back in!
4. La Sportiva is awarding a one year sponsorship contract to the highest scorer in the expert trad division. Start training, competition will be fierce.
5. Black Diamond will be awarding premiums in the climbing comp!
6. We will be recycling!! And going low-waste!! Hooray for our Keep it Green sponsor Osprey Packs.
7. Bring a Dessert!! Help make Dessertapalooza even more decadent.
8. Podclimber will be doing a podcast!
9. Kidzone! Kids five and up can join the fun. Thanks to Darn Tough Socks.
10. Athletes: Katie Brown, Micah Dash, Brittany Griffith, Nate Gold, Matt Bosley, Charlotte Jouett, Josh Wharton and more!
11. American Alpine Club is coming! A Climbers Ranch will be built here at the New! The legendary Jim Donini will be here to tell us about it. Watch for details about Celebrity Deathmatch ’07…
12. New River Gorge Photo Extravaganza! The silent auction will feature images of the gorge by noted photographers. Be prepared to bid!
13. Compete!! It continues to be the best deal going! It’s fun! Remember the Top Rope Division. Compete and You Will Eat! (Competitors are first in the dinner line!)
14. Clinics! We still have openings! Sign up on the Rendezvous website.
15. Donate! Please remember this is New River Alliance of Climbers' only fundraiser. Help generate the money that buys the hardware that makes this place safe to climb! Don’t forget to make your generous donation...especially since we can't sell raffle tickets this year.
16. Volunteer!!! Email rendezvousvolunteer@yahoo.com and Wendy will set you up.
17. Questions? Email maura@waterstoneoutdoors.com
18. Details about all of this can be found on www.newriverrendezvous.com!!

Partner j_ung

May 1, 2007, 4:29 PM
Post #185 of 324 (4970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, here's something of interest. The guys at Yourclimbing.com have really come through with the grassroots NRR promo. Two things:

1. Grassroots reporters. The site is looking for five people to cover the Rendezvous for it's NRR Grassroots Channel, here. All five people chosen get a free pair of Chacos for their work. They're not looking for professional writers and photogs, FYI, just folks with enthusiasm and, hopefully, digital cameras.

2. They've announced contests for best stories, photos and videos from the 'Vous. The prizes are pretty sweet; from Sportiva gift certificates and pro deals to a MH sleeping bag for best story.

Thanks Yourclimbing.com!

granite_grrl

May 1, 2007, 5:23 PM
Post #186 of 324 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Re: New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So I finally went through the website, and now I really want to go! So a couple more questions: I havea 4 day weekend, can I stay at Burnwood over Sunday night, or am I going to have to move on.

Another thing that I'm wondering, I have never been down to the New before, will it be disgustingly crowded with the Rendevous, will I get much climbing in? Guess I would really like to climb a fair bit if I'm driving that far.

There are a few clinics that I am particuarly interested in, if I sign up on the waiting list what are the chances that I might still be able to get in (the RWW clinics in particular, which I have to asume has a huge waiting list!).

And finally....anyone else headed down from Ontario?! I have one girl who's interested but hasn't confirmed. If I don't find anyone to head down there with in the next week or so I'll be posting up here looking for partners.

I'm starting to get really excited! Hope to see lots of other RC.commers down there.

dbrayack

May 1, 2007, 5:27 PM
Post #187 of 324 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
So I finally went through the website, and now I really want to go! So a couple more questions: I havea 4 day weekend, can I stay at Burnwood over Sunday night, or am I going to have to move on.

Another thing that I'm wondering, I have never been down to the New before, will it be disgustingly crowded with the Rendevous, will I get much climbing in? Guess I would really like to climb a fair bit if I'm driving that far.

There are a few clinics that I am particuarly interested in, if I sign up on the waiting list what are the chances that I might still be able to get in (the RWW clinics in particular, which I have to asume has a huge waiting list!).

And finally....anyone else headed down from Ontario?! I have one girl who's interested but hasn't confirmed. If I don't find anyone to head down there with in the next week or so I'll be posting up here looking for partners.

I'm starting to get really excited! Hope to see lots of other RC.commers down there.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to fend for yourself to camp Sunday night (Though I'm renting a 40 acre farm and have plenty of tent space/floor space.

As far as climbing is concerned, it oughta be packed, however, I'm sure you can find lots and lots to climb; its the new, They don't call it "Endless Wall" for nothing!

I'm not sure about the clinics....all you can do is hope and wait there in the am!

Glad you're coming, I hope to see yah,

-Dan

microbarn

May 1, 2007, 5:32 PM
Post #188 of 324 (4935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrayack wrote:
I'm not sure about the clinics....all you can do is hope and wait there in the am!

Last year I went to 2 clinics on both days. They tried to accommodate everyone who showed up. Lot's of people on waitlists got into the clinics because the meeting times are early.

nnowinowski

May 1, 2007, 5:32 PM
Post #189 of 324 (4934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are the comps going to fill up or will onsite registration be OK?

dbrayack

May 1, 2007, 5:37 PM
Post #190 of 324 (4928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nnowinowski] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You'll be fine....I'm pretty sure there's no "space limit" for the comps.

granite_grrl

May 1, 2007, 5:41 PM
Post #191 of 324 (4924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crap, what about Thursday night too? Guess my plan would be to get there latish Thursday night and leave Monday afternoon.

I guess I'll just put my name in for the clinics I'm interested in and hope and see.

dbrayack

May 1, 2007, 5:59 PM
Post #192 of 324 (4919 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Thursday night is OK, else there's plenty of tent space in my yard.

acarp

May 3, 2007, 12:23 PM
Post #193 of 324 (4869 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be driving up early friday morning to help out and such. I'm planning on leaving on friday night and returning on saturday with a Jeep load of some more people. What are the chances I'll still be able to find parking?

From what I was reading, on-site registration is OK for the climbing comp, right?

Is there going to be an email to any of the people who asked to volunteer to say where and when? Or should I just show up at 9ish at burnwood?

I know I'm rather excited. This is my first!!

dbrayack

May 3, 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #194 of 324 (4865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acarp] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acarp wrote:
I'll be driving up early friday morning to help out and such. I'm planning on leaving on friday night and returning on saturday with a Jeep load of some more people. What are the chances I'll still be able to find parking?

From what I was reading, on-site registration is OK for the climbing comp, right?

Is there going to be an email to any of the people who asked to volunteer to say where and when? Or should I just show up at 9ish at burnwood?

I know I'm rather excited. This is my first!!

I cannot say for sure..but I'm sure it'll work out OK...We have talked about giving out Parking Passes for those who show early, but I'm not sure if that is set in stone yet (though it seemed like a go from everyone)

On-site registration for the comp is Totally expected. There's no limit to the # of peeps.

I'm hoping there will be an email in regard to volunteering (and will inquire), but showing up and asking to help will likely be the best thing to do! (THANKS!)

Me too...I'm nervous, its the first one where I'm on the other side of things! I'm going nuts!~

-Dan

microbarn

May 3, 2007, 1:02 PM
Post #195 of 324 (4855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrayack wrote:
Me too...I'm nervous, its the first one where I'm on the other side of things! I'm going nuts!~

-Dan
We all appreciate the work from all the organizers.

THANKS

curator

May 3, 2007, 2:28 PM
Post #196 of 324 (4837 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to clear up the sportiva sponsorship prize.....It goes to the winner of the trad comp, male or female. There might be some "powerful yet elegant" competition from the ladies field!Wink

Partner kasharp

May 3, 2007, 2:43 PM
Post #197 of 324 (4830 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we love you dan ... Smile thanks for all your help and everyone else's

jay - you rock too!

dbrayack

May 3, 2007, 2:45 PM
Post #198 of 324 (4828 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curator] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice...that'd be totally Rad if a chick too it.

acarp

May 3, 2007, 2:58 PM
Post #199 of 324 (4822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm planning on heading out to the gorge this weekend to get some climbing in. Any particular routes I should "practice" on for the competition? Smile

dbrayack

May 3, 2007, 3:01 PM
Post #200 of 324 (4818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acarp] New River Rendezvous (May 17-20) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Laf...nice try....the "double" pointer routes is going to remain secret until the morning of the comp for obvious reasons...but I will give you one hint...be sure to have "Poodle with a Mohawk" wired....

(If you not familiar with the area, thats a joke, its the only 5.1 in the gorge.)

-Dan

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook