RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

fearlessclimber

May 3, 2007, 6:02 AM
Post #1 of 1 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Save Colorado? Access issues!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay friends (in-state and out), it’s time to take a moment to stand up and be counted.
A very serious threat has presented itself to the public (outdoor rec. public and ALL others).

The Government (MILITARY) is attempting to overtake a MASSIVE portion of our public (and private) lands. . . you guessed it, under the condemnation process of eminent domain.
The ENTIRE SE portion of Colorado is at stake, and all for military training land!
Please take a few moments to log onto
http://www.pinoncanyon.com
for a briefing and in-depth information. . . don’t worry, you don’t have to read it if you’re busy, just click SIGN THE PETITION.

From the climber/outdoor-loving civilian perspective:
For those (and it’s probably about 95% if not higher) who haven’t spent time exploring and discovering SE Colorado, it is truly an extraordinary place with priceless open space, ancient artifacts and HISTORY (unique petroglyphs and pictographs in the thousands), beautiful waterways and pinyon/juniper forests, grasslands (Comanchee Nat.), the longest continuous T-Rex, Raptor and Brontosaurus tracks (and these things are awesome!) along the Purgatory River, WILDLIFE galore, and incredible canyons!

It is one of my personal sanctuaries, whose area I didn’t care to publicly announce.
The solid, varnished, cracked and pocketed sandstone rims, buttes and boulders are incredible for CLIMBING (I’ve done countless climbs down there, and haven’t even touched the potential).
The only place where I’ve seen bolts (and just a handful of TR anchors) is at the Picture Canyon Parking/picnic grounds – please, DO NOT bolt anything, as it will certainly work against the climbing community (or climb on/near indigenous art)!
The bouldering in some areas can rival any of the best, and make many seem silly. Don’t get me wrong, this is no Indian Creek or J-Tree or Hueco (thank the gods!), but is its own worthy location, esp. for those who really want to get away and take it all in (and some of the bouldering could rival any of those areas).

From the public perspective:
This overtake will open the door (or continue to open the door would be more proper) to greater government power and arrogance, with an unprecedented public land-grab. If we allow this to happen in such a large and diverse natural area as SE CO (also home to LOTS of needed CO agriculture), then it will set a new precedent for future bullying and future land-grabs, as the government sees fit. They’ve been testing the waters, and now they want to jump in! Who is next? What is next?

Please pass this on to your friends and family, and let’s get petitioning! Let Ritter know what his public thinks! Let Bush and the DOD know what we think! We can stop this insanity if we act now!

Please take a moment to sign the petition (and be sure to verify your signature).

http://www.pinoncanyon.com

I was reading this on mountain project, i give credit to the guy that wrote this (Cameron), i just want to get this out here on this site so everyone has a chance to help.

Start sending petitions and get anyone you know to sign them

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook