RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

dalfollo

May 4, 2007, 7:24 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2348 views)
Shortcut

Yates Shield Harness: Old Style Buckle vs New Style Double Buckle
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have two Yates Shield Harnesses that I am trying to decide on....one is the L (Old style buckles); the other: XL, is with the new style buckles. A couple notes and questions:

- The XL is only 2.5"-3" longer than the L
- The L came with the seamingly 'old style buckles', and the the XL came with the newer buckles (double pass with one red metal piece)
- the old style buckle seems very easy to cinch down for a snug fit, and the new style buckle is more difficult to cinch down tight (I can get it tight but then it loosens as I try and do the double pass)
- The Yates website mentions the new buckle is better: "New SAFELOCK Double Pass Buckle Closure System adds security and eliminates webbing creep in buckle system during hauling." - Do any of you know that there was a "problem" with webbing creep during hauling?
- Both of the swamis, come with the same double pass diagram sewn into the fabric as a quide....but they are two different buckles (the older is not double pass)
- the older swami has webbing that folded twice and then sewn....makes it dificult to totally remove the buckle from the webbing
- The new webbing does not have any fold over....the swami's webbing is just cut at an angle on the end to make it easier to accomplish the double pass.

I like the new style buckle, as it does seem a lot beefier than the old, but it seem much harder to get it tight. Have any of you heard or experienced webbing creep in the old buckles?

Otherwise the belt loops and leg loop are identicle.

I appreciate any feedback. Considering the feedback i received here and from Mr Yates himself, I will finish my review and decide.

(This post was edited by dalfollo on May 4, 2007, 9:50 PM)

Partner pbcowboy77

May 5, 2007, 2:24 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dalfollo] Yates Shield Harness: Old Style Buckle vs New Style Double Buckle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I never owned the old style, but I could never get the new style tight. It was such a problem that I felt unsafe if I were to invert in a fall and the darn thing was just uncomfortable. Sorry I couldn't help you with your other question, but I thought I'd let you know how I felt. I ended up going with the Misty Mountain Titan harness. I love the fit but wish it had a bit more padding.

Z

dalfollo

May 5, 2007, 5:02 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pbcowboy77] Yates Shield Harness: Old Style Buckle vs New Style Double Buckle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Appreciate your feedback. It makes me not feel like an idiot because it is hard to get it snug....just when I have it where I want, I have the last double pass to perform, and I just can't keep it tight as it loosens while weaving the webbing.

Also I found this gem on some Yates Shield-Safe-Lok Buckle System Instructions:

Step 3....It is not recommended to secure webbing tail through elastic keeper strap during body hauling while raising a haulbag. this will help elimintate the occurance of webbing creep in buckle system.

Their own website has the following bullet under the description of the Shield:

- New SAFELOCK Double Pass Buckle Closure System adds security and eliminates webbing creep in buckle system during hauling.

(This post was edited by dalfollo on May 5, 2007, 5:27 AM)

epic_ed

May 5, 2007, 6:25 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dalfollo] Yates Shield Harness: Old Style Buckle vs New Style Double Buckle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the newer style buckle system on my Shield and agree that it's a pain in the ass to get cinched tight. With practice, though, it is possible. You really have to work on pinching the webbing securely with your fingers on the feed side of the buckle while you pull the webbing through the other side. I've noticed that the webbing creeps even with this "new" buckle system, but it's not dramatic. By the end of the day, though, I always needed to re-cinch it.

I also own a Yates Big Wall and it's more comfortable but I hate the closure system. It's old skool and some people prefer it that way but I think it's a PITA.

I have a Misty Titan and a Misty Cadillac -- neither of these are really meant for multi-day wear, especially if you're a dood who has some meat on his bones. I wore the Titan for three days on a clim a few years ago and it was that experience that steered me to buy Yates harnesses. Yates makes some great big wall stuff.

I've been wanting to check out the new Metolius Waldo. It has gotten some excellent reviews and looks like a great design, especially with the double belay loops. It may be the best one on the market right now.

Ed

Partner pbcowboy77

May 5, 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epic_ed] Yates Shield Harness: Old Style Buckle vs New Style Double Buckle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Two things I saw about the Metolius...

1. When I saw it you couldn't drop the leg loops to hit the poop tube. I've heard they changed that but it takes forever to do and is a pain in the ass (hahaha get it... pain in the ass, I crack myself up)

2. There is a reason that Yates doesn't use the two belay loops on the Shield anymore (they did in the past), they wear out faster, and if your not on top of checking that it could turn bad fast.

About the Titan, I am a big guy (235 lbs.) and I've done multiday climbs with it. The only time it sucked for me was long hanging belays. But any harness will do that, and that's what a FISH RUMPSAK is for.

Note:Trying to plug http://www.fishproducts.com in hopes that I get my order bumped to the front of the line.

Note to Russ: Just kidding. I can't climb until late June anyway due to damn shoulder surgery.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook