May 7, 2007, 3:03 AM
Post #1 of 55 (3579 views)
Shortcut

Problems with vista
Report this Post
Can't Post

just got a new lappy today

with vista....

its a cheap lap top (800 bucks spent) with intel celeron M processor 430 (1.73 GHz)

no WORD (so i need a word processor program that reads .doc files.......free ones out on the net???????)

and slow...all these fucking pop ups asking for confirmations aboot installations...grrr....

had to delete Command and conquer 3 off it the second i loaded it cus i kept crashing the computer.....

stymingersfink

May 7, 2007, 3:13 AM
Post #2 of 55 (3573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tattooed_climber] Problems with vista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

eh, i know what you mean... it's taken me a bit of time to get used to the whole thing... almost nothing i know about XP (which is only slightly more than nothing) translated directly, a bunch of older programs won't run on the bastard, and now i'm having trouble with my MSIexec.exe program. something about a program i loaded up has caused it not to work properly.

of course, re-registering the file didn't work either.

i'm sure you'll be able to add to the list shortly.

though if it's any consolation, the windows defender pop-ups become much less noticeable after a short time.

still wish I'd gotten a mac though...

hindsight being 20/20 and all, it probably would have been worth the extra quid.

sbaclimber

May 7, 2007, 3:13 AM
Post #3 of 55 (3573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tattooed_climber wrote:
YAY!!!!

tattooed_climber wrote:
with vista....
BOOO!!!!

tattooed_climber wrote:
its a cheap lap top (800 bucks spent)
YAY!!!!!

tattooed_climber wrote:
with intel celeron M processor 430 (1.73 GHz)
BOOO!!!!

tattooed_climber wrote:
no WORD
YAY!!!!!

tattooed_climber wrote:
(so i need a word processor program that reads .doc files.......free ones out on the net???????)
OpenOffice

SlySly

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on May 7, 2007, 3:13 AM)

petsfed

May 7, 2007, 3:57 AM
Post #4 of 55 (3556 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tattooed_climber wrote:

with vista....

Well there's your problem. Ask around, find somebody with Win XP and a cd key that works. That'll solve your problems.

I wish Microsoft would do their beta testing before they released their products.

themadmilkman

May 7, 2007, 6:29 AM
Post #5 of 55 (3535 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Problems with vista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, the first thing you do is grab the Vista CD and reinstall it without all the extra crap, assuming that you have one that can. Hopefully it's not some "System Restore" disc, cuz those suck.

After that, things should run significantly better.

stymingersfink

May 7, 2007, 6:34 AM
Post #6 of 55 (3534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [themadmilkman] Problems with vista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll give it a shot, though it's just one of those POS's of which you speak.

What ever happened to the days when an OS came on a disc, not pre-installed on the HDD?

WTF is one supposed to do when it comes time to install a new HDD?

Durr!

overlord

May 7, 2007, 7:24 AM
Post #7 of 55 (3532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Problems with vista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i second openoffice. while its calc doesnt really reach excel, its writer is imho actually better than word. a really nice suprise was a floating styles menu (think PS). and thebest option of all... you can export to pdf directly. i use openoffice all the time, just make sure you save into doc when sending stuff to other ppl, while openoffice works with microsoft formats no problem, microsoft progs dont support openoffice files.

im also kindof annoyed with preinstalled OSs. but most have a backup utility that allows you to backup the instalation onto dvds or such, which is imho even better than having an install disc because you dont need to set it up when you reinstall the OS.

perp

May 7, 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #8 of 55 (3509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Problems with vista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I say make sure you save as pdf when sending a document.
.doc should be avoided at all costs!

overlord

May 7, 2007, 1:35 PM
Post #9 of 55 (3498 views)
Shortcut

Re: [perp] Problems with vista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

perp wrote:
I say make sure you save as pdf when sending a document.
.doc should be avoided at all costs!

thats why i love openoffice so much. pdf is just one click awaySmile

microbarn

May 7, 2007, 3:24 PM
Post #10 of 55 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with first reinstalling the OS. They suck preinstalled.

Open office is probably better, but years ago....I liked star office
http://www.sun.com/...staroffice/index.jsp

Maybe not even compatible. I thought you might like the alternative though.

microbarn

May 7, 2007, 3:28 PM
Post #11 of 55 (3484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] Problems with vista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh I forgot. If you only need to READ the MS office stuff....You can download viewers from their website.

lagr01

May 7, 2007, 5:19 PM
Post #12 of 55 (3461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tattooed_climber wrote:
no WORD (so i need a word processor program that reads .doc files.......free ones out on the net???????)

Google has a word processor and you don't even have to download a program, you can do everything on your browser.

Google Docs & Spreadsheets

I think they are about to realease a PowerPoint-like app too.

tattooed_climber wrote:
and slow...all these fucking pop ups asking for confirmations aboot installations...grrr....

had to delete Command and conquer 3 off it the second i loaded it cus i kept crashing the computer.....

That's all the crapware PC's come loaded with these days. Just uninstall all that shit.

BTW, Vista on a Celeron? the OS is probably what's eating your computer up. Can you return your computer? Dell (and maybe other manufacturers?) is offering new computers with XP again (talk about a bad start for Vista), maybe you could return your machine and get an XP laptop instead.

(This post was edited by lagr01 on May 7, 2007, 5:43 PM)

petsfed

May 7, 2007, 5:42 PM
Post #13 of 55 (3453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lagr01] Problems with vista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lagr01 wrote:
tattooed_climber wrote:

That's all the crapware PC's come loaded with these days. Just uninstall all that shit.

Actually, what he's complaining about is part and parcell of the new Vista security system. After a while it puts together a database of what it can and can't do, but right out of the box, its pretty irritating. The other trick is that most everything on the market now is incompatible with Vista. Has very little to do with his proc. However, if he's short on ram, that'll figure in. 600mb just for overhead is a little ridiculous.

(This post was edited by petsfed on May 7, 2007, 5:43 PM)

sbaclimber

May 7, 2007, 9:10 PM
Post #14 of 55 (3427 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
...600mb just for overhead is a little ridiculous.
One of my coworkers just installed Vista on his moderately flash home machine. Because his machine can handle it, he let Vista do the full install with all the fancy graphical stuff and so-on.
His machine went from having 4gigs of RAM available....to 2.8gigs.
1.2gigs just for overhead for the OS! Crazy

wes_allen

May 8, 2007, 3:48 AM
Post #15 of 55 (3398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just seems like the right place for this....

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

Partner tattooed_climber

May 8, 2007, 4:17 AM
Post #16 of 55 (3389 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] Problems with vista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

time to state, i would have bought a mac, but the software i'd be running on it for school/work is PC only...and if there is a mac version, i'd have to buy it.....got $$$$$ per program + licensing??????..afew thousand per program

any who, got a new lappy.....the other one was hatched.....this one is a AMD turion 64 mobile (2GHzzzz)....1 Gb ram, 160 HDD, and an ok graphics card

this one is MUCH better....but the USB card still kinda/kinda doesn't work on it, so i just went out and returned it and got a diff brand (old was Sandisk, this one is Memorex)

lagr01

May 8, 2007, 4:23 AM
Post #17 of 55 (3385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Macs can run Windows too.

stymingersfink

May 8, 2007, 5:23 AM
Post #18 of 55 (3375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lagr01] Problems with vista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lagr01 wrote:
Macs can run Windows too.
BUT PROBABLY NOT the other way around, huh.

I'm seriously considering making a return, even though it'd cost me an extra thou to upgrade to the macbook.

especially if it would run all my winderz programs too.

microbarn

May 8, 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #19 of 55 (3369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Problems with vista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macs can be installed on pretty much any computer too.

the comment about macs being able to run windows is because of their new app. The macs now have the ability to let windows run at the same time as their OS. You can switch back and forth on the fly. Windows just tries to disallow all other OSes from even dual booting.

overlord

May 8, 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #20 of 55 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:

the comment about macs being able to run windows is because of their new app. The macs now have the ability to let windows run at the same time as their OS. You can switch back and forth on the fly. Windows just tries to disallow all other OSes from even dual booting.

really?? thats really nice.

microbarn

May 8, 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #21 of 55 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Problems with vista [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html

petsfed

May 8, 2007, 4:53 PM
Post #22 of 55 (3341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:

This last part is patently false. Windows insists that it "own" the master boot record, but its still pretty easy to dual boot any machine. If you use Grub that is. LiLo is crap for dual booting windows and Linux (or Linux and freeBSD or Unix or ...).

Macs can now run Windows because they use processors that use Intel chip architecture. Which more or less means that Macs now use the same processors as IBM clones. Until Apple made the switch, the architecture of their chips was such that Windows didn't know how to operate the chip (and OS X, likewise, couldn't operate the chip in a Windows machine). OS X is not currently available legally for installation on non-Mac Intel based systems. However, you can acquire a hacked version that will run on a Dell (for instance) via illegal channels.

Since you can now dualboot a mac with both OS X and Windows, there really isn't a good argument against Macs, except perhaps that whole single button mouse thing, but that's easily remedied.

/desperately wants a powerbook

microbarn

May 8, 2007, 5:04 PM
Post #23 of 55 (3337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Basicly I agree. You are nit-picking details, and I could do the same on yours. But I think we agree in the end.

petsfed wrote:
Since you can now dualboot a mac with both OS X and Windows, there really isn't a good argument against Macs, except perhaps that whole single button mouse thing, but that's easily remedied.

This is the one thing I HAVE to reply to. The reasons against macs are still present. Windows is slower running as a mac app. If you are running computation heavy programs, then it will hurt a lot to be running the mac OS at the same time. Secondly, you have to buy 2 operating systems. Why buy 2 OSes when the one suffices?

I am happy to see macs moving along to be more competitive, but I cannot yet consider converting myself to a mac except on a home computer.

petsfed

May 8, 2007, 5:26 PM
Post #24 of 55 (3332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The question, for me, is why would you run computation heavy programs and windows, simultaneously? I mean, dual booting (as opposed to running windows as an app) neatly solves the problem because you only have one OS running at a time (I really don't see the utility of having two operating systems running simultaneously on the same machine, it just multiplies overhead, but not productivity). This coupled with OS X's psuedo-UNIX architecture (I guess its more akin to BSD, but that's splitting hairs unneccesarily) means that most any computations you need to do can be done in OS X. Then when the computations are done, you can restart in Windows and play your games. But not both at the same time. If you need to do that so much, just get a second computer. You won't take any processing hits for it. And anyone who might seriously consider dual booting probably has access to a copy of windows, already payed for.

At such time as I get a laptop for work purposes, it will be a Mac. But like I said, this is because OS X is UNIX-like to a degree that many of the programs I use are already written for it. I don't expect to ever purchase a desktop Mac, but that's because I can't build a Mac from scratch.

That reminds me, I need to dig up my copy of partition magic so I can throw Slack back on the old home computer.

The work computer runs Fedora and I hate it.

microbarn

May 8, 2007, 5:40 PM
Post #25 of 55 (3325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

run a 4 day ansys simulation on your only computer

You will want to use other applications at some point during the 4 days.
Now, pretend my job is to run tons of these simulations all the time. Will I EVER use the mac OS if I have to boot into it? No, and that is the root problem with dual booting. In my experience I eventually got lazy and used the OS I HAD to use rather then the OS I wanted to use every time I set up a dual boot.

So, if I really like and want to use a Mac OS, then the only real possibility would be to use windows as an app option. That option is unrealistic for the above mentioned reasons too.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook