RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

kathilley

May 10, 2007, 3:23 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1672 views)
Shortcut

6 month climbing trip-where to go?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm researching the possibilities of a 6 month climbing
trip to either just North America (including central america), both north and south america, or an around the world fare. This is a research project for school and for a friend who is planning this trip for himself. Any responses greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Travel Agent Questions

What are the least expensive cities in South America to fly into and out of? What about Central America? Europe? Asia?

Would it be less expensive to fly round-trip between the United States and South America? Or between Central America and South America?

If someone were to travel to various countries in South America , should he/she learn a language, if so, which one? How about in Central America? Europe? Asia?

Is it necessary to learn a language?

What kind of transportation is available between and within countries in South America? In Central America? Asia? Europe?

Are there any land transportation barriers in Central or South America that travelers should be aware of?

What kind of cheap accommodations or camp sites are available in South America? Central America? Europe? Asia?

Would costs of food and transportation within North America, within Central America, between Europe and Asia, or within South America be cheapest?

Rock Climber Questions

What locations have you visited for rock climbing world wide?

Which were your favorites and why?

What international travel advice do you have for fellow rock climbers?

How do you keep your trips on a low budget?

If you could go to any location you haven’t climbed at, where would you go and why?

International Finance Professional Questions

What form should money be carried in when traveling internationally?

What should be done to be prepared for emergencies, financially?

What kinds of tariffs or taxes could be inflicted upon foreign travelers within South American and Central American countries?

Are there tax implications or rule about selling US goods in Central America? What would be the case if someone drove a car to Central America and sold it there?

What challenges do you see financially for someone traveling within Central America or South America? Elsewhere in the world, such as Europe? Asia?

atg200

May 10, 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kathilley] 6 month climbing trip-where to go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, are you actually doing any research or just lobbing out your list of research questions and hoping for the best? You'll get better responses if you ask more specific questions and if you put this question in the right forum - general would be the best fit.

Asking what language is best to learn for Central and South America? Even 30 seconds of paging through a Lonely Planet guide should clue you in to the fact that every country south of the US border except Brazil and a few countries in or on the Carribean coast speak Spanish.

potreroed

May 11, 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There isn't any climbing worth bothering with in Central America--the place you want to come to is Mexico, especially El Potrero Chico in Nuevo Leon. You might, however, look into flying over through Cuba--I understand that there are some great deals to be had. In Mexico Spanish is helpful but not absolutely necessary--most people you meet will speak some English. An ATM card is the best way to handle your $.

kathilley

May 11, 2007, 12:39 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] 6 month climbing trip-where to go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you. El Potrero Chico was a definite, wasn't sure about Central America, but now I will cross it off the list.

desertdude420

May 11, 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] 6 month climbing trip-where to go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you trying to go somewhere exotic for the sake of bragging about it after or to actually get some great climbing in? It seems from the post that you aren't really that concerned with level of quality climbing... it wasn't even mentioned.

Try a new post: "I'm looking to go anywhere but here to climb. Is there any climbing at all in these exotic locations?"

joshy8200

May 11, 2007, 1:06 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertdude420] 6 month climbing trip-where to go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What time of the year are you going? Summer I'm guessing...?

Go to Europe...just going to France or Spain would be more than worth your time climbing wise.

That or go to Australia.

vegastradguy

May 11, 2007, 6:24 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joshy8200] 6 month climbing trip-where to go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chase the weather....my plan was largely based on where it would be 75 and sunny.....so, the first question is really- when are you going. everything else is based from there.

pipsqueekspire

May 12, 2007, 12:31 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] 6 month climbing trip-where to go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

THis is easy- I did this trip. Go buy a van and start driving. Start in southern Utah head east to Denver Colorado then to KY the Red WV Seneca NY at the Gunks THen come back to the west and hit the high hills in summer and fall. Rainier, Sierra, Wyoming

That was fun!

satch

May 30, 2007, 4:16 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These are just places I have been and I like multi-pitch rock so take it with a pound of salt.

Top of my list would be Europe, especially Chamonix, France if you can go in summer, unless of course you want strictly alpine and ice. You don't need to know French to climb there. There are plenty of other great areas near by. It rains a lot in May.

Next would be the American/Canadian West - Red Rocks, Indian Creek, City of Rocks, Yosemite, Tuolumne, Needles and Squamish in Canada.

3rd would be South America (although I have heard Australia is better for rock). Beautiful climbing in Chile, and Peru (helps to know some Spanish) also some interesting climbing in Brazil (Rio), just need to enjoy life to climb there - careful of getting robbed there though.

trebork2
Deleted

Jun 9, 2007, 8:35 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come to Alaska. Jan-June. You'll cover all the types of climbing. Rock, Ice, Mixed. Some awesome skiing. Great sites. Great food.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook