RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

smd

May 14, 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #1 of 8 (5463 views)
Shortcut

slackline specific pulleys
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi

ive been lookin into getting some pulleys.

Here in South Africa the only slackline pulleys available locally are the ones from slack.fr which come in a kit including webbing and all (which i dont need).

can anyone tell me how these pulleys compare to the sbi ones? cos this complete kit is much cheaper than just the sbi pulleys!

ive done abit of web searching and found slackline specific pulleys available from: slackline.dk, slackline.no, slack.fr & slackline .com(sbi)

all these sets of pulleys seem to look very similar, but vary in price.
Can anybody who has or has used any of these pulleys, review them for me please.

Much thanks
shaun

Partner slacklinejoe

May 14, 2007, 8:56 PM
Post #2 of 8 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smd] slackline specific pulleys [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll assume you want pulley only information rather than any other options. You will probably learn far more about characteristics that make good pulley systems from a link such as this one:

Friction Testing and Pulley Systems in Vertical Rescue

There are many expensive pulleys, some cheap ones but there are trade offs with each type so it's important for you to find what will fit your specific needs and budget.

Imporant considerations for your use:
Will you need a lock on the pulleys themselves? If so, rigs such as the CMI uplift set or sbi pulleys offer that. Integrated locking systems in pulleys raise their price significantly.

Do you need a compact set? If you will be carrying this around finding something moderately compact and light is nice, but you sacrifice efficency.

Will you leave it in the system during slacking or will it be used to rig long lines? If so, it must be significantly stronger than one used to rig shorter lines.

How long of a line will you be rigging and will you expect to have help pulling it tight? If rigging a medium to long line solo you may need more than a 4:1 pulley system can provide so a system with higher mechanical advantage may be necessary.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on May 15, 2007, 3:10 PM)

petsfed

May 14, 2007, 9:36 PM
Post #3 of 8 (5410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yates is a pretty good place to start. You can always just build it yourself from a variety of pulleys and some static line. 5 pulleys, 3 rescue-grade ascenders, carabiners, rope, and something tie it off so you aren't putting any weight from a living person on the pulley system, and you can rig a hundred foot line solo.

niles

May 15, 2007, 5:03 AM
Post #4 of 8 (5382 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] slackline specific pulleys [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Yates is a pretty good place to start. You can always just build it yourself from a variety of pulleys and some static line. 5 pulleys, 3 rescue-grade ascenders, carabiners, rope, and something tie it off so you aren't putting any weight from a living person on the pulley system, and you can rig a hundred foot line solo.

Woa, now that's a beefy setup right there.

Partner slacklinejoe

May 15, 2007, 3:32 PM
Post #5 of 8 (5342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [niles] slackline specific pulleys [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

niles wrote:
Woa, now that's a beefy setup right there.

Indeed. I'd consider that pretty hard core consider if you are only talking about a 100 foot line. I use less than 30 bucks in hardware (not including webbing) to do that. However, if you're dedicated to 200+ long lines it's certainly an investment to consider.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on May 15, 2007, 3:40 PM)

petsfed

May 16, 2007, 1:43 AM
Post #6 of 8 (5315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] slackline specific pulleys [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The key word is "solo". 4 or 5 stout guys and you can rig it entirely with webbing and a handful of crabs. But getting a hundred foot line tight enough, alone, with just webbing is nigh on impossible. The friction's just too much. You could probably drop the ascenders for prussics, but it means you don't pull as much, per pull, from your system.

/likes pulley systems, maybe a little bit too much
//my iteration cost about $30 in pulleys, and the rest I threw together with booty gear

smd

May 16, 2007, 7:33 AM
Post #7 of 8 (5295 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] slackline specific pulleys [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, but now you need 4 or 5 stout guys to help carry all your gear – just kiddin!

I was very surprised to see that the sbi and all the other euro ones I mentioned above all look so much the same, and was wondering why! I got my answer here " http://forum.slackline.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=566 " where I posted the same question.

The euro ones seem to be a direct copy (but with cheaper material/workmanship) of the sbi ones!!

Joe - Thanks for all the info & that link!
Im very new to this slacking, was introduced to it about 2 ˝ weeks ago, at the South African juggling & unicycle convention, where someone hade a slack.fr kit set up.

I am looking for a compact, lightweight – quick to setup system. My webbing is 20 meters (65ft) I’ve been setting up between trees that are about 10 to 15 meters apart (33 -50 ft) using the Ellington method with 1” webbing, but instead trying to pull this tight by myself – breaking my back – I found a 1” tie-down ratchet. This way I can get it nice and tight (so it doesn’t bottom out).
I do have to reset the ratchet a number of times to get it tight though, but with the Ellington it doesn’t slip at all when resetting, and the ratchet isn’t part of the slackline it simply clips out when finished tightening. BUT it does take some time to set up (compared to the pulley system I saw from slack.fr). It is noisy, and seems to ruin the webbing – starting to fray after 1 ˝ weeks! Not to mention my fingers getting all chewed up by the ratchet!

I looked into getting some sailing, or climbing/hauling pulleys but would cost just as much as the sbi’s.

How do you remove the pulleys from the system (without using a cam buckle)?

Partner slacklinejoe

May 16, 2007, 2:28 PM
Post #8 of 8 (5266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

smd wrote:
How do you remove the pulleys from the system (without using a cam buckle)?

Several options exist to "soft point" out the system. Actually just searching for soft pointing will yield what you are looking for.

Everything from slapping a couple prussik knots on the main line (use a length of climbing rope in there to reduce chances of melting the webbing) and tension it from that point, then you can tie off the slack of the main line however you want. When tied off, slowly release the tensioning system out and remove the prussiks.

There are also more elaborate fixes that incorporate release hitches, personally I usually do use cam buckles somewhere in the system because I'm lazy, it's faster and cheaper than the prussik cord and I know to pre-load them before transitioning the system onto it and to hold down the release button while sliding it to avoid abrasion.

Also, it sounds like you got a manky low end 1" ratchet which is part of the problems you've already had. There are a few decent ones (but hard to find and usually not off the shelf locally) however that's a different topic entirely.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook