RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

bitchslabbin

May 10, 2007, 6:19 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2756 views)
Shortcut

What is th deal
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay ladies, tell me does anyone else have a hard ime finding other females to climb with. Don't get me wrong I climb with a lot of men and there is nothing wrong with it, if anything they make me push myself a little harder. But I would rather balance it out a bit, but everytime I try to find a female climber i always turn up with more male partners. Is it just me or are we seriously lacking women in the climbing world?

slablizard

May 10, 2007, 6:22 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bitchslabbin] What is th deal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bitchslabbin wrote:
Okay ladies, tell me does anyone else have a hard ime finding other females to climb with. Don't get me wrong I climb with a lot of men and there is nothing wrong with it, if anything they make me push myself a little harder. But I would rather balance it out a bit, but everytime I try to find a female climber i always turn up with more male partners. Is it just me or are we seriously lacking women in the climbing world?

you're just a perv get over it

Sly

granite_grrl

May 10, 2007, 6:30 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bitchslabbin wrote:

I wouldn't say seriously lacking, but there are more men than women. It shouldn't be a surprize that you find more male than felmale partners.

I like climbing with women when I can, but its to find reliable partners period. I'll take what I can get.

climbingbetty22

May 11, 2007, 3:19 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2680 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] What is th deal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't find it difficult to find female partners per se, what I usually encounter though is that when I do find a female partner, they usually seem more interested in climbing with their boyfriend/husband/ man-whore, etc.

Actualy now the problem I run into mostly is that when I meet other female climbers, they either only follow or they lead way above my head. Trying to find a femal partner at or near my level is a rare find indeed!

The larger point I'm trying to make is that I don't think women are as scarce in this sport as they use to be. If you need proof walk down the undercliff trail at the Gunks one Sunday! I was totally blown away by the number women climbing (and leading!) when I was there last Sunday. However, female climbers are going to seem like more of commodity as you put more and more descriptors in what you're looking for.

wonderwoman

May 11, 2007, 3:28 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have lots of women climbing partners, and they all rock! Smile

Partner happiegrrrl

May 11, 2007, 3:40 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingbetty22] What is th deal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My main partner is a woman and I am really happy to have that. I have many guys I climb with too, but none regularly. I think that, though it's great to find a woman/woman partnership, finding/maintaining a climbing partnership regardless of the gender is tough enough.

But - one idea is to check out the next Goddesses on the Rocks event that Sterling Ropes sponsors. I volunteered a few weeks ago at the Joshua Tree event and it was incredible.

There were 50 women participating, with experience levels ranging from just beginning to climbing at 5.11. If you check out the events and feel your experience is further along than the workshops offerings....that's no excuse not to go. Then you can volunteer! hahaha. You'll still meet plenty of women climbers, and also a great group of women who lead the workshops, who may also be potential partners. Plus - volunteers are always needed.

At the Jtree one, there were women from all over the US. But if you don't travel, maybe search for women's events tha are more nearby you.

The fall events are going to be in North Conway, New Hamshire and at the New River Gorge, in fall.

lazygirl

May 12, 2007, 1:49 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, it is hard to find other girls to climb with. Strangely I've found it easier to find female partners now that I climb harder, I think it might be because I find myself around more girls that are serious about climbing. I am also fortunate that my roomate's girlfriend climbs at my level. While the guys do push me... it's my female partners that inspire me. Watching other girls climb hard makes me climb hard. I hear where you're coming from.

clee03m

May 14, 2007, 4:19 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lazygirl] What is th deal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's hard to find a good climbing partners in general. When I first moved to Ohio, I tried to look for female partners, but I eventually gave up. Of course after I gave up was when I found myself climbing with more girls. I was surprised to find that I do enjoy climbing with guys, too, because I had initially thought it may be akward to be just one on one with a guy. But not at all.

And now I am moving to Washington state. Definately not looking forward to the whole climbing partner search, again.

dancesonrocks

May 16, 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi there, I see tons of female climbers practically every time I go out. But, we're still outnumbered by men.

I think part of the problem is what's already been said: girls wanting to climb with their guys. So if you do run into a female climber, they are likely to already have a regular climbing partner.

I'm guilty of that. I climb so much with my boyfriend that I don't really want to climb more than that. Plus the ease of planning is great. "You feel like climbing?" "Sure" "Let's go". Versus, "Ok let's meet up here" etc. And when I didn't have a boyfriend who climbed, I actually taught my present boyfriend to climb so I'd have one.

That being said, I went on a road trip in your area (BC and Alberta) with two climbing girlfriends years ago, wish we could've met up then, then we'd have had even pairs. ;)

kyote321

May 18, 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if your avatar name is any reflection of your personality, it should be ano-brainer.

bitchslabbin

May 18, 2007, 12:58 AM
Post #11 of 11 (2184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyote321] What is th deal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

all I can say to that isLaughLaughLaugh. Love life

(This post was edited by bitchslabbin on May 18, 2007, 1:09 AM)

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook