RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

ancy

May 15, 2007, 9:19 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1062 views)
Shortcut

New to the outdoors
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone! I just did my first outdoor climb in Joshua Tree which was both exhilirating and scary. I have been indoor climbing (5.8) off and on for a few years, but haven't been doing much recently.

I'm interested in gaining more experience with outdoor climbs and was wondering if people had ideas of how best to do this. I am new to the Los Angeles area and don't know that many people interested in climbing.

Are there any outdoor places where ropes are already set up for beginners to practice.

Ancy

truello

May 15, 2007, 9:48 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ancy] New to the outdoors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Even if there was a place outdoors with ropes already set up, would you really want to climb there? You don't know what falls those ropes have taken, what edges they've rubbed over, what raccoons have urinated on them...

You might be able to find a guiding service close to you. They're usually worth their money, especially for people without their own gear.

ancy

May 15, 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [truello] New to the outdoors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You're absolutely right about trusting random abandoned ropes... I was more thinking of guides or groups that set up ropes for beginners to use for the day. Sort of an indoor setup outddors to help people transitition.

I've looked into some of the guiding options near Joshua Tree and they seem great, but I would hate to have to rely on that each time I want to climb.

Thanks for the tips.

-A

truello

May 15, 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some [most?] local gear stores offer classes that actually take you out to local crags and can teach you things such as setting up topropes yourself or multipitch.

Partner baja_java

May 16, 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #5 of 12 (998 views)
Shortcut

Re: New to the outdoors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you love climbing at JTree, i'll be out there this weekend, like most others. i have a partner who i plan to do easy .10's and under with. we don't mind another person to tag along and get in some rock time on TR in between the lead and second. my partner will be belaying me. you won't have to at all. just bring harness and shoes, and whatever camping stuff. we're driving out to the park in the morning on saturday, climb, camp for the night, then climb more on sunday before heading back around 4 or so. i enjoy leading climbs on the weekend ticklist, and whatever nearby mellow stuff too. i've climbed lots out there and rest of CA and elsewhere too, mostly trad. when we're climbing, feel free to ask about gear, anchors, crack climbing, climbing in general, what's for dinner, why's there all that white stuff on the rock, anything you like. so yeah, you're welcome to join

i live in south Redondo Beach. people from LA proper don't think of us as LA, but they're just hating us because the nice ocean breeze blows our smog and whatever foul air inland to over their heads

Sean

mturner

May 16, 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #6 of 12 (978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What climbing gym? Most gyms offer beginner courses which will help you learn the basics and provide opportunities to meet other climbers/partners. Tried this?

(This post was edited by mturner on May 16, 2007, 1:08 AM)

coastal_climber

May 16, 2007, 1:03 AM
Post #7 of 12 (971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] New to the outdoors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try to go with baja_java and learn as much as you can, you learn the most by being with other people and trying things, and learning from them.

>Cam

ancy

May 16, 2007, 5:51 PM
Post #8 of 12 (914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [baja_java] New to the outdoors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow Sean, thanks for the invite, but I can't this weekend as much as I want to... maybe another time. I don't know how often you go out there, but maybe you can let me know. I think it will really help just to be around people who know what they're doing :)

ancy

May 16, 2007, 5:54 PM
Post #9 of 12 (912 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] New to the outdoors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to a climbing gym in West LA last year, but couldn't stick with it htne because of time. I definitely plan to get back in there while spending as much time outdoors as I can. I'm going to try and hook up with baja, and probably also take some classes through thr JT climbing school.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Partner baja_java

May 17, 2007, 6:08 PM
Post #10 of 12 (858 views)
Shortcut

Re: New to the outdoors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no problem, Ancy, and you're welcome

i have some trips planned for the summer, but will be out there til it gets too hot, and then switch to some other cooler spots. i do fairly moderate stuff with one of my partners. i'll send you the headsup next time when that comes up again

Sean

ancy

May 17, 2007, 6:20 PM
Post #11 of 12 (845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [baja_java] New to the outdoors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

baja_java wrote:
i have some trips planned for the summer, but will be out there til it gets too hot, and then switch to some other cooler spots. i do fairly moderate stuff with one of my partners. i'll send you the headsup next time when that comes up again

Please do, I would love it!
Ancy

ottabox

May 17, 2007, 11:35 PM
Post #12 of 12 (803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ancy,
You might find the link below interesting.

http://www.climbing.com/photo-video/gallery/goddessesjtree07/

(This post was edited by ottabox on May 17, 2007, 11:58 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook