RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

snakedevil

May 20, 2007, 7:35 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2413 views)
Shortcut

video techniques
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so there are lots of threads on photography techniques and other stuff of the like, but I was wondering if anybody has any tips on video techniques? What are the rules of making a video? Should the climber be centered or not? I really don't know much about taking video, so anything would be much appreciated.

johnathon78

Jun 15, 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snakedevil] video techniques [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont know much about what you say, but, I like bacon.

wonderwoman

Jun 20, 2007, 5:49 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yesterday was our anniversary and I got a ATC2K action cam that you can mount to your helmet. I know nothing about video, but I'm psyched to try it out this weekend. I would also like to know techniques for video. I'm a pretty good general photographer but I'll be jumping into a new arena.

marc801

Jun 20, 2007, 6:08 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snakedevil wrote:
... but I was wondering if anybody has any tips on video techniques?

Some things that a lot of folks find annoying:

* Use a tripod, steady-cam device, or something to eliminate shaky-cam shots

* stop the endless panning and zooming

* edit out anyone who sticks their tongue out at the camera

* if you use audio of the videographer having a conversation with the climber, either put a wireless mic on the climber or spend a lot of time adjusting volume levels during post-processing

ClusterFock

Jul 27, 2007, 2:00 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1979 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] video techniques [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

* edit out anyone who sticks their tongue out at the camera

Fucking oath mate.
That's the one thing I can't stand when it comes to extreme sport videos. It's especially over done in motocross films. It's fucking gay.

Anyhoo, the rest of your advice is spot on.

My suggestion is to buy/hire out a couple of rock climbing videos and watch them, jotting down on notepad the bits you liked and why you liked them...and vice versa.

One thing I liked about Sharma's 'Rampage' was that there were some cool shots and angles that made the chalk dust in the air look like falling snow, especially when it creates 'light beams' etc. Ofcourse, you simply want to get the best action you can, but there are little things you can do with angles, exposures, shutter speeds etc to spice things up a bit.

The key, though, in my opinion is to shoot with at least two cameras. One for close up shots and one for long shots for when ever they fall etc. The more cameras the more creative you can be.

dreday3000

Jul 27, 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, first lets get realistic.

Wireless Mics and steady cams are pretty far fetched for someone looking for basic info in the RC forum.

That said, crap sound and camera shake are annoying so do your best to get a steady shot and decent audio.

Normally the in house mic on your camera will work for basic audio. Try to be as close as possible to your subject during 'interviews'

When shooting I find I can get a reasonably steady shot if I tuck my elbows in and sort of brace my arms against my body. Things get a little more complicated if you're shooting on a rope but the basic principle holds.

For rock climbing vids, a monopod can do wonders to get you those nice top down shots - as in photography, butt shots are no good. Monopods vary in price depending on the quality, but for a small camera you should be able to get something usable for 100 bucks.

While you shooting two cameras is always nice cause it'll give you something to cut away to but you might have to suck it up and ask your subject to repeat things a few times. Generally, while someone is working a route/problem, I try to get some tight shots - small holds, expressions, crux moves etc. IF you think they're gonna send, widen out the shot so you make sure you get everything. A send only happens every now and again so you don't wanna blow it.

Next editing. There are a few different programs out there. Most computers these days come with a basic editing package but if you got the time, energy and dollars, something like Premiere or Final Cut Pro is nice. LIke photoshop, they are deep programs with lots of functions but you can learn the basics pretty quickly.

Good luck and enjoy. We'll keep an eye out for your vids on RC :)

esqueleto

Aug 4, 2007, 7:10 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too am doing video for the first time this past month and it is amazingly similar and different from photography. Pretty much all the same rules of composition and framing apply.

The way that I am learning video is by watching movies, and lots of them. Anywhere from adventure sports documentary to dramas. The techniques are all the same. Think of your scenes before you go out. Start with a wide shot(WS) to let the viewer see where they are, then go to medium shots(MS) to give a little more detail to the scene, and then to a close up(CU) shot for sticks, holds, facial expressions, pretty much small intricate details.

By the way, Final Cut is pretty expensive but the steps to learn it are kind of easy. Starting out you probably wont need it, but the more you get into video and the more elaborate your ideas become you may want to look into Final Cut (think it's only for MAC) or the Windows equivilant, Premiere?

james_climber

Aug 4, 2007, 8:57 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Use at least two, cameras to capture all the route and make close ups, some times its fucking dificult but with two cameras and an editon improves a lot

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook