Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Partner oldsalt

May 21, 2007, 2:32 AM
Post #1 of 114 (13623 views)
Shortcut

Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

If you review some of the threads in this forum, especially those with "n00b" or "noob" in the title, you should be concerned about the health of this site.

Many of the posts are downright abusive. If people come to rc.com to learn more about climbing, and they go outside believing that all climbers behave the warden is out of town, we will be seeing more and more bad behavior at the crag.

I have encountered few idiots across the southeast, and ones that I have were guides of some type tying up 4 or 6 routes for a group eating lunch together.

People who are new to the sport are usually respectful of those who know what they are doing. The disrespect seems to be coming from a small number of posters who usually purport to have experience that could be useful to newcomers.

I have learned a great deal from this site, but I am questioning if it is worth the time to continue.

You know who I am referencing here. Grow up and show some respect.

Am I the only who feels this way? I expect to get flamed for this, so the rest of you should note which good citizens do the flaming.

monkeychild

May 21, 2007, 2:39 AM
Post #2 of 114 (13603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ya I completely agree.... there's nothing wrong with being a noob...... and we don't want all the new people thinking we're a bunch of meaniesUnsure

elnero

May 21, 2007, 2:43 AM
Post #3 of 114 (13594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've noticed that it has gotten a lot worse lately. people asking genuine 'new climber' questions are getting called on trolling. It takes just as much energy to answer the question as it does make fun the person.

better yet, answer the question, and then add another line telling them to search or read a book before asking something else.

anykineclimb

May 21, 2007, 3:05 AM
Post #4 of 114 (13549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elnero] Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sometime the "bad behavior" stems from the beginners asking questions that are easily answerable if they just do a little research on this or other sites.

I mean how many harness, shoe and rack threads does there really need to be???

browntown

May 21, 2007, 3:28 AM
Post #5 of 114 (13506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No one is asking you to read the posts, are they? You're just like parents complaining about bad programs on television and how they don't want their kids to see it. Well hey here is an idea.. do some parenting! you don't have to read these posts and guess what, you sure as hell don't have to respond to them.

sketchster_81

May 21, 2007, 3:29 AM
Post #6 of 114 (13500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anykineclimb wrote:
sometime the "bad behavior" stems from the beginners asking questions that are easily answerable if they just do a little research on this or other sites.

I mean how many harness, shoe and rack threads does there really need to be???

Have you done a search on this site? For example, a thread I stated on belayer/climber weight ratio... go ahead, search for "belay weigh". Let me know if as a beginner you can make sense of the massive amount of information, some misinformation, and pages upon pages of insulting and degrading comments.

At the end of the day, I found a couple of cool people willing to help, and most here to convince themselves they have large penises.

Anyway, the solution our club told us to use was mentioned once on this board, buried deep under a lot of useless "Ha noob!" posts.

Get off the horse or leave the beginner section. You were here once, if not - I'm not surprised you're tired of the same questions.

To answer your question on how many posts about X will you see in a beginners forum, the answer is held by determining the number of beginners that are eager to learn. You should embrace beginners today, cause who knows... what you breed today is what you will encounter on the wall tomorrow. Be a dick, you breed dickheads. I don't know about you, but nothing ruins fun like meeting an asshole on the wall.

carabiner96

May 21, 2007, 3:35 AM
Post #7 of 114 (13491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sketchster_81] Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Geez guys, do a search. Theres like SO many threads on how mean peeps are to noobs. NOOBS.

thedejongs

May 21, 2007, 3:36 AM
Post #8 of 114 (13489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gotta' agree with the OP that the tone can get downright nasty, but you're right that you can only take so many questions about "how to get started" or what gear to buy first., as well.

Any merit to ensuring that new members receive an email upon joining that introduces them to the website and lays out some of the basics (e.g. search the wretched archives before asking what rope to buy, what books to read, what shoes to get, etc.)? Maybe the email even links them to some of the more helpful posts-- perhaps a selection of those posts get made "sticky" on the Beginner Forum so that they stay right in front of the noses of the new members. Let 'em know, too, that they'll probably get a well-aimed STFU or the like if they don't digest the email they receive before rushing off to post. Just some thoughts on how to slow down the interminable, standard nOOb postings that get some people suspecting troll activity.
Cheers.

mugbot

May 21, 2007, 7:41 AM
Post #9 of 114 (13416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, I'm actually a bit of a noob as it goes... but i've got an idea.

Many forums I've seen have 'stickies' of popular questions.

Perhaps this could help with the volume of simple questions being asked? you never know, it could one day evolve into some sort of online climbing omnibus Smile

Just a thought...

suzie_cuzie

May 21, 2007, 8:00 AM
Post #10 of 114 (13409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [browntown] Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

browntown wrote:
No one is asking you to read the posts, are they?

Lol No doubt. Like the people who get absolutely INFURIATED by Majid's posts, yet continue to click on everything he posts, then reply, stating how stupid his posts are and how they hate reading them Crazy

moss1956

May 21, 2007, 11:26 AM
Post #11 of 114 (13365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree completely with the original poster.

Abusive language doesn't achieve anything positive.
Yet, it is part and parcel of interaction on this site.
The anonymity of the internet seems to bring out the worst
in some people.

If you don't like a question, don't answer it. If a post really
annoys you, move on. All the negativity just makes reading forum
posts unpleasant.

Partner jammer

May 21, 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #12 of 114 (13322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oldsalt wrote:
Am I the only who feels this way?

Nope ... I have noticed that this site is not growing. In fact, it is degrading fast. This is becoming a yahoo site more then a climbing site. In the past couple of years, I've wondered why those with experience have left this site. Then, as I was reading through threads on other climbing sites, I was excited to see that they were talking about climbing! Can you imagine that?!? A climbing site dedicated to climbing. This one once was ...

Alan

tigerlilly

May 21, 2007, 1:00 PM
Post #13 of 114 (13262 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suzie_cuzie] Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

suzie_cuzie wrote:
browntown wrote:
No one is asking you to read the posts, are they?

Lol No doubt. Like the people who get absolutely INFURIATED by Majid's posts, yet continue to click on everything he posts, then reply, stating how stupid his posts are and how they hate reading them Crazy

It's the same psychology that makes people gawk at car accidents and wail, "Ewwwwwww! That's gross!" when they see actual carnage.

Kathy Crazy

tigerlilly

May 21, 2007, 1:02 PM
Post #14 of 114 (13260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sketchster_81] Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"sketchster_81 wrote:
what you breed today is what you will encounter on the wall tomorrow. Be a dick, you breed dickheads.
In reply to:

Amen. You can foster dangerous jerks, or cultivate potential safe climbing partners.

Kathy

blueeyedclimber

May 21, 2007, 1:51 PM
Post #15 of 114 (13213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. I believe there are two types of people that are the problem.

1. People that enjoy the antagonism and anonymity of the internet. Trolls, if you will, that just like to instigate from their keyboards.

2. The second type, which is more disturbing, are climbers with between 2-5 years climbing that feel they have "graduated" to being experienced, when in actuality, no matter how long they climb will always be a gumby. These people are insecure and to lift themselves up must come down on others for being a "n00b." IMO, if you tote yourself around as being "experienced," then chances are you probably aren't.

Josh

phugganut

May 21, 2007, 2:16 PM
Post #16 of 114 (13175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oldsalt wrote:

You know who I am referencing here. Grow up and show some respect.

You aren't the only one that feels this way. It can be pretty bad on this site sometimes, and most of the flamers probably aren't so bold in person.

microbarn

May 21, 2007, 2:20 PM
Post #17 of 114 (13169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jammer wrote:
oldsalt wrote:

Nope ... I have noticed that this site is not growing. In fact, it is degrading fast. This is becoming a yahoo site more then a climbing site. In the past couple of years, I've wondered why those with experience have left this site. Then, as I was reading through threads on other climbing sites, I was excited to see that they were talking about climbing! Can you imagine that?!? A climbing site dedicated to climbing. This one once was ...

Alan

While I agree there is a lot of trash, I got to call this out. Every internet forum has the trash. Similar threads as this one can be found on other sites:
http://www.supertopo.com/...html?topic_id=383243

I think you are experiencing a "grass is always greener on the other side" phenomena here.

alx

May 21, 2007, 2:32 PM
Post #18 of 114 (13153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love it how when some people see a question that they think is "stupid" they can't wait to be the first person to start yelling Troll! Must make 'em feel like a wise old timer to smart to fall for the nasty trollers tricky tricks.

I do agree that you get mixed results with searches.

Partner jammer

May 21, 2007, 2:43 PM
Post #19 of 114 (13137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
jammer wrote:
oldsalt wrote:

Alan

While I agree there is a lot of trash, I got to call this out. Every internet forum has the trash. Similar threads as this one can be found on other sites:
http://www.supertopo.com/...html?topic_id=383243

I think you are experiencing a "grass is always greener on the other side" phenomena here.

Supertopo, like rockclimbing, seems to be more of a site for everyone in the world, which, in turn, allows more of this type of discussion to take place. Then there is http://www.neclimbs.com/ where there is only one area to talk about non-climbing, which is more local to the area. When I first came to rc, the site was run more like a climbing site. Sure, there were areas that were dedicated for any topic, but this has dribbled into the climbing threads. Seems more like a gathering spot for those who think they are climbers then those who really are. An example would be the Noob threads. Where is the honest help these days? I have yet to meet a climber who would not give an honest answer to any question, really trying to assist another climber. But here, it's full of flaming and disgrace, sometime giving answers that could seriously injure another. There is a difference. Yes, sometimes the grass is greener. For those who feel like they have been dissed by other "climbers" on this site, you may want to find a local site where local climbers hang, instead of throwing questions to anyone in the world who happened onto this site under false pretenses.

richardvg03

May 21, 2007, 4:37 PM
Post #20 of 114 (13067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't find anything wrong with it at all. I concider it a right of passage and I think that they/we need to get thicker skin.

I think we're all trolls until proven otherwise... and if they can't hack it then they can go hire a guide... guides HAVE to be nice... that's what they get paid for ;) HAHAHA

I do think it's funny how people take some of this so seriously... I think it's funny as hell... and we do have some dumbasses on here and if I met them in person i'd tell them they were dumbasses just like i do here on the thread LOL

blueeyedclimber

May 21, 2007, 6:49 PM
Post #21 of 114 (13013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [richardvg03] Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
I don't find anything wrong with it at all. I concider it a right of passage and I think that they/we need to get thicker skin.

I think we're all trolls until proven otherwise... and if they can't hack it then they can go hire a guide... guides HAVE to be nice... that's what they get paid for ;) HAHAHA

I do think it's funny how people take some of this so seriously... I think it's funny as hell... and we do have some dumbasses on here and if I met them in person i'd tell them they were dumbasses just like i do here on the thread LOL

Shut up, dumbass, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"Laugh

richardvg03

May 21, 2007, 6:54 PM
Post #22 of 114 (12992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
richardvg03 wrote:

Shut up, dumbass, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"Laugh

that really hurts my feelings...

JREECE

May 21, 2007, 7:09 PM
Post #23 of 114 (12973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

you tell them richard
man i love this guy

coach_kyle

May 21, 2007, 7:19 PM
Post #24 of 114 (12953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have run into very few a-holes while climbing. I have, however, seen many of their postings on rc.com. Do these people actually climb?

primus

May 21, 2007, 7:35 PM
Post #25 of 114 (12921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [richardvg03] Bad Behavior on the Beginners Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:

Yeah, shut up dumb-ass. Keep your frat boy marine hazing rituals to yourself. Anybody with an ounce of brains between their ears knows how inane an argument like, "I concider [sic] it a right of passage and I think that they/we need to get thicker skin" sounds.

Not everybody is a "noob" or a "troll" here. Hell, just about every question to be asked about climbing has already been asked on this forum. If everybody used this site as an archive of previously asked/answered questions, then this site would become pretty damn stagnate. New questions--whether repeats or not--are a good thing. If another thread comes up called, "New to climbing, need shoe advice" then don't waste our time flexing your balls to show us how cool you are that you can bash them. Instead, skip the post and let others who want to help a newcomer to the sport figure out which damn shoes to get! Your flaming and bashing of everyone who asks "dumb" questions does nothing but to give every climber a bad reputation when in fact, many climbers by their very nature are pretty cool folks.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook