RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

ottabox

May 11, 2007, 3:36 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1799 views)
Shortcut

Weekday at the Gunks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I paid 15.00 (good for a year) for biking on the carriage trails. Why? We only had two days and had several routes we wanted to finally get checked off our to-do list - first and foremost - High E. The bikes were great. What made it even better was the yellow cannondale cart I also brought along. All our gear was tossed into the cart - no aching shoulders from slugging heavy gear. Temperatures were in the low to mid 70s. I also managed to run the 4.5 mile Trapps loop both days. Even though it was the weekday it was still somewhat busy on the easy classic routes.

tigerlilly

May 11, 2007, 2:49 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ottabox] Weekday at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, you were the ones with the yella' trailer my partner and I saw as we were heading out for the day. You did look like you were traveling in fine style!

Kathy Wink

Partner taino

May 11, 2007, 3:21 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ottabox wrote:
I paid 15.00 (good for a year) for biking on the carriage trails. Why? We only had two days and had several routes we wanted to finally get checked off our to-do list - first and foremost - High E. The bikes were great. What made it even better was the yellow cannondale cart I also brought along. All our gear was tossed into the cart - no aching shoulders from slugging heavy gear. Temperatures were in the low to mid 70s. I also managed to run the 4.5 mile Trapps loop both days. Even though it was the weekday it was still somewhat busy on the easy classic routes.

I'm confused.

You spent $15, plus the $50 access ($65 total), so that you bike at the Mohonk Preserve - and you're actually climbing while using your bikes for the approach along the carriage road? So, you purchased a slightly less-expensive bike permit instead of the climbing permit for $20 more - but are doing both?

T

ottabox

May 11, 2007, 4:38 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taino] Weekday at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for the confusion taino. We have a year membership for climbing (expires in August) but never purchased the bike permits when we purchased the original membership. So, in essence, we (two of us) paid 30 dollars to use our bikes and can do so again for the next year.

(This post was edited by ottabox on May 11, 2007, 5:25 PM)

ottabox

May 11, 2007, 4:48 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Weekday at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Kathy,
Let's hear about your climbs/trip. Were you camping nearby? We slept in a van at the primitive camping area on the road that takes you to New Paltz.

tigerlilly

May 11, 2007, 5:47 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ottabox wrote:
Hey Kathy,
Let's hear about your climbs/trip. Were you camping nearby? We slept in a van at the primitive camping area on the road that takes you to New Paltz.

I have the glorious fortune to live and work within an hour of the Trapps parking lot. I took the afternoon off work to climb with a semi-retired gentleman I met and have climbed with at the Inner Wall rock gym over the winter. I am new to climbing, and he has many years of experience, but is willing to climb well below his ability in order to cultivate a new partner who can occasionally climb during the week (after more than 20 years of indentured servitude at a Fortune 500 company, I have lots of vacation time Cool). I can climb 5.6 fairly comfortably on toprope, but am just learning to lead belay and follow, so we did Beginner's Delight, a lovely 3 pitch 5.3 with interesting exposure, but generally good holds all the way up. We were walking back to the base to retrieve our packs when we passed you. How was High E?

Kathy

ottabox

May 12, 2007, 1:22 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How was High E?
It was ok. I seem to recall the climb or one like it having more final pitch face exposure. Definitely the move out onto the face is interesting (and scary).

Salix

May 22, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! a 3 pitch 5.3 that sounds like a super fun time! I hope to check it out soon.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook