Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Traveling to Anchorage in July 2008
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

primus

May 22, 2007, 8:58 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Traveling to Anchorage in July 2008  (North_America: United_States: Alaska: Anchorage_Area_Rock___Ice)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sweet! We're coming back to Alaska. This will be our third trip to visit family in Anchorage. I've never climbed anywhere around Anchorage, but have seen folks climbing along the Seward highway. I'm looking for trad and sport areas. At this point, I'm comfortable leading into the lower .11s on sport and .9s or .10s trad. We'll have just one day for climbing, so I need to know where to get the most bang for my buck! Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Can't wait to get back there!!!Smile

Salix

May 23, 2007, 4:09 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [primus] Traveling to Anchorage in July 2008 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! You really plan ahead! A simple Google search unleashes some basic information.

Of course, this fine website right here has pretty much all the updated info you might need.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._Ice/_Seward_Highway

Tram Rock at the Aleyeska Ski area also sounds like a good bet, and is probably safer than hanging out along the side of the highway with kids.

There is a basic guide book, aptly named due to proximity to the highway. Some negative person with a bad attitude (you know, the one that has that annoying behavior that gets progressively worse the closer you get to the crag and so negatively affects your climbing) has climbed there, and has the book. Just don't tell 'em that I sent you! (He's oblivious to your post...) But why ask people you know for information, when you can ask a bunch of people you don't know?

primus

May 23, 2007, 4:49 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Salix] Traveling to Anchorage in July 2008 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Salix wrote:
Wow! You really plan ahead! A simple Google search unleashes some basic information.

Of course, this fine website right here has pretty much all the updated info you might need.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._Ice/_Seward_Highway

Tram Rock at the Aleyeska Ski area also sounds like a good bet, and is probably safer than hanging out along the side of the highway with kids.

There is a basic guide book, aptly named due to proximity to the highway. Some negative person with a bad attitude (you know, the one that has that annoying behavior that gets progressively worse the closer you get to the crag and so negatively affects your climbing) has climbed there, and has the book. Just don't tell 'em that I sent you! (He's oblivious to your post...) But why ask people you know for information, when you can ask a bunch of people you don't know?

Getting frequent flyer tickets requires planning way ahead, so I figured I'd start! Smile I checked out the rc.com route guides before posting up here, but wanted some info from locals as to which of the 27 or so places listed along the Seward Hwy are the most desirable, or if there are areas in/around Anchorage that are not necessarily along the Seward Hwy, not on the rc.com route guides, etc.. Oh, and we're not bringing the kids to the crag with us--it'll just be me and my wife. I was thinking about getting a guide book, but thought it was kind of a waste of money seeing as we're only going to be climbing for one day and it's only every couple of years that we travel there. Thanks for the help though.

So, any Anchorage locals--or people in the know--wanna give me some beta? Where to go? Where to not go? Thanks!

jahmon

May 30, 2007, 5:26 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Re: [primus] Traveling to Anchorage in July 2008 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most desirable and Turnagain Arm rock climbs are a bit of an oxymoron. The best T. Arm crags are probably: Goat's Head, Dino Head, and Mosquito Ledge. Mostly all bolted routes.

However, you'd be better off driving to Portage (Byron Glacier valley), Weiner Lake (Wookie Wall) or Hatcher Pass for better rock. Byron (1 hr south + 30 min hike) & Weiner (1.4 hrs north of Anchorage) are pretty easy to find. Hatcher takes a little more work, but definitely the best (alpine granite, mostly trad). These areas require a full day.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook