Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

marcuder

May 7, 2007, 1:48 PM
Post #1 of 26 (2708 views)
Shortcut

Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So here we are climbing at the Bufflo Crag when some asshole decides throw a sizable chunk of the escarpment down near where the bunch of us were climbing. Ofcourse there was a chorus of acrimony from our side and the loser was ran off. The rock landed near my rope and I had to check it to see if there was any damage... luckily there was none.

I really don't understand how people are entertained by being stupid. What's worse is that in the last few years the RattleSnake area is becoming overran with people who don't respect the peaceful atmosphere...

Sigh...

Anyway, anyone else have trouble last weekend in the Rattlesnake area?

skinnyclimber

May 7, 2007, 1:54 PM
Post #2 of 26 (2695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marcuder] Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe you could start carrying a slingshot for retaliation purposes...

taydude

May 7, 2007, 1:56 PM
Post #3 of 26 (2686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinnyclimber] Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skinnyclimber wrote:
maybe you could start carrying a slingshot for retaliation purposes...
...or a rifle...

chalked4dyno

May 7, 2007, 2:15 PM
Post #4 of 26 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was at rattlesnake Saturday, saw some folks walking in from the base. Was going to give them hell, but when I was packed up and heading out, they had already left. Other than that, my wife got to watch some guy piss right near the trail.

Glad you're all ok.

granite_grrl

May 7, 2007, 3:58 PM
Post #5 of 26 (2587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marcuder wrote:

Last weekend! This is not an isolated case, happens far too often....almost every weekend.

You may laugh at me for wearing a helmet at the base even if I'm just TRing. You won't be laughing when one of those rocks hit you.

geezergecko

May 7, 2007, 4:16 PM
Post #6 of 26 (2557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Usually it's kids on the trail above. They see a cliff and get an urge to throw something over it. I had a close call last year at the south end of Nemo.

majid_sabet

May 7, 2007, 4:34 PM
Post #7 of 26 (2515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geezergecko] Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

use # 1 to protect yourself against as8holes below the rock and use # 10 when see them face to face.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]

marcuder

May 7, 2007, 4:46 PM
Post #8 of 26 (2486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL, speaking of... I can't get over your helmut Geezergecko! I was envious of it while frying in the noon sun...

Yes, rifles... mmmmm... better yet remotely actiavted, claymore directional mines strategicaly placed to shread interlopers of the top of the cliff whilst leaving the rest of us climbers unhamred down below... mmmmmm....

kevinwaldock

May 7, 2007, 5:43 PM
Post #9 of 26 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the solution is easy. expect it to happen, wear your helmet, and if yer really scard go climbing at kelso, or fraggle, or nemo where it is much more unlikly to happen. I've been under attack at rattlesnake but not at buffalo.

just my 2 cents.

granite_grrl

May 7, 2007, 7:19 PM
Post #10 of 26 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kevinwaldock] Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kevinwaldock wrote:
I think the solution is easy. expect it to happen, wear your helmet, and if yer really scard go climbing at kelso, or fraggle, or nemo where it is much more unlikly to happen. I've been under attack at rattlesnake but not at buffalo.

just my 2 cents.

I have delt with kids throwing rocks from the top at all those crags (except fraggle which I haven't climbed at). Its more likely to happen at Rattlesnake, but very common at all those Halton Conservation crags.

grinspoon

May 7, 2007, 7:44 PM
Post #11 of 26 (2297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed at Nemo once and there were kids throwing rocks off the top. Falling rock combined with poorly placed bolts, polished holds and chossy rock have steered me clear of ever climbing along the escarpment again. I feel like the place is a death trap.

granite_grrl

May 8, 2007, 7:00 PM
Post #12 of 26 (2183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grinspoon] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

grinspoon wrote:
I climbed at Nemo once and there were kids throwing rocks off the top. Falling rock combined with poorly placed bolts, polished holds and chossy rock have steered me clear of ever climbing along the escarpment again. I feel like the place is a death trap.

That's beacuse it is a death trap.

I was away for the weekend at the Gunks, but my hubby climbed at Nemo. He said it was n00b climbing central on the sport routes...was amazed that no one got killed! Think I'm stuck climbing local this weekend Frown. At least its not the heat of summer yet where you're just melting off the slick holds.

kevinwaldock

May 8, 2007, 8:13 PM
Post #13 of 26 (2150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think timing makes a huge difference. I work in the oakville area so we usally hit up RSP, adn BC after work on weekdays. You'd have to drug me and trick me into going there on a weekend. You should try fraggle out sometime it's a bit of a walk from kelso but way more quite on the weekend. And we've never came under fire there.

marcuder

May 8, 2007, 9:01 PM
Post #14 of 26 (2124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kevinwaldock] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nemo seems to be ok, but then I haven't been to the 'sport' area since I started tradding a year ago. Granted, I dunno what happened but lately it seems that the easily accessible climbing areas in Milton have become overran with people. Probably just a matter of time before someone gets killed and the 'authorities' take a serious look at closing the area off to climbers. In the meantime the thing to do is to go East of Alfred wall where the thickets grow and play there. Hardly every do you see any n00Bs there... Trad climbing is great for getting away from the rest of the rabble. Wink

caughtinside

May 8, 2007, 9:06 PM
Post #15 of 26 (2117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marcuder] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ah yes. the good old tourist firing squads are common at all easy top access crags.

alexschultz1

May 15, 2007, 2:26 AM
Post #16 of 26 (1926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

10mm glock 29. light, portable, but enough power to blow through a black bears skull Cool

chossmonkey

May 17, 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #17 of 26 (1846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marcuder wrote:
So here we are climbing at the Bufflo Crag when some asshole decides throw a sizable chunk of the escarpment down near where the bunch of us were climbing. Ofcourse there was a chorus of acrimony from our side and the loser was ran off. The rock landed near my rope and I had to check it to see if there was any damage... luckily there was none.

I really don't understand how people are entertained by being stupid. What's worse is that in the last few years the RattleSnake area is becoming overran with people who don't respect the peaceful atmosphere...

Sigh...

I mostly climb at Nemo and I'd say that it is pretty common for people to throw stuff down. Last year some kids were throwing a buch of rocks of and we yelled up that there were people down there. They yelled back to fuck off and come up and stop them and threw more rocks.

Last weekend someone started pissing off the top of the cliff onto the route to the side of where we were. Had someone been on that route near the top they would have got a shower for sure.

Partner alexmac

May 18, 2007, 3:08 AM
Post #18 of 26 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marcuder wrote:

Sigh...

I got worse, caught a lady untying someones top rope setup at rattlesnake with a Freaking bus load of tourists touring Canada (not going to mention any nations)

Once I made it clear that she and her tour group were not welcome at the crag or the nation they went away.

Checked the groups setup and went home , getting the fuck out of dodge.

(This post was edited by alexmac on May 18, 2007, 3:10 AM)

stymingersfink

May 18, 2007, 5:12 AM
Post #19 of 26 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just to clear up a little confusion generated by the thread title...

a near miss means... they nearly missed, but didn't?

personally, I would rather deal with a near hit, in which i was nearly hit, but the throw missed the mark.

g.carlin has asked the same question, perhaps this is where some of my confusion stems from.Crazy

marcuder

May 18, 2007, 2:02 PM
Post #20 of 26 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lol, I've always wondered why the news describes two planes nearly colliding as a "near-miss"... so did they like came 'this close' to missing eachother and collided?

... but what I really think it means, in our NorAmerican vernacular, as "came near, and thankfuly missed". I tend to go by meaning most generally understood by the lowest common denominator of society.

Incidentally, it seems that dictionaries don't seem to agree on what it means since 'www.dictionary.com' describes a "near miss" as:

1. a strike by a missile that is not a direct hit but is close enough to damage the target.

2. an instance of two vehicles, aircraft, etc., narrowly avoiding a collision.

3. something that falls narrowly short of its object or of success: an interesting movie, but a near miss.

It seems that item 1 contradicts item 2 and 3... so I don't know...

Anyhow, last weekend a rock flew down again near us, this time falling exactly inline with a friend of mine who was building a ground anchor just below an overhang and thereby not visible from the top. Had she decided to walk out from under at a wrong moment she'd get nailed by brick sized object - helmet or no helmet damage would have been done, if not worse. As to someone actually messing with an anchor setup - WTF!? It's as good as shooting someone with a gun!

I really think that Rattlesnake area needs more signs at the trail heads describing how you should avoid throwing anything down because I truly think that many of these incidents are people being ignorant of the possibility of there being anything down below. When I think about it there is not really anything pointing out to visitors to the park that there is always the possibility of climbers on the crag. I know - there are some signs that mention rock climbing but unfortunately there are so many stupid people out there that won't connect... like the other day, while in the gym we saw this kid tie in and proceed up a wall... without a belayer! It seems that the instructor taught a group how to tie a figure 8 on the harness and was called away for a second. Ofcourse the kid made a few too many assumptions about the anchor system up top, inspite of the fact that you can see the top rope running freely through chains up-top, never mind all the slack on the rope... sigh... if my friend didn't jump in on the belay and take the slack out the kid would have decked first time he took. Anyway, what the hell was he thinking?! He looked old enough to be 16 or 18. What was gonna save him from falling?! Fairy dust?!

But I digress... anyway, my point is that if park visitors had some clear indications of dangers to others they pose when they're being stupid it would perhaps cut down the occurrence. I know, not all but any reduction in general ignorance is always a good thing.

granite_grrl

May 23, 2007, 6:26 PM
Post #21 of 26 (1597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marcuder wrote:
I really think that Rattlesnake area needs more signs at the trail heads describing how you should avoid throwing anything down because I truly think that many of these incidents are people being ignorant of the possibility of there being anything down below.

I don't know, I've seen teen tossing rocks from the top right after they saw me top out on a climb and I was belaying up my second (at Kalso). If they can't put one and one together when they know someone just came up the side of the cliff, how would a sign be any different?

I think that the park needs to start fining people who throw things from the top of the cliff and put up signs about that. Even the stupidist people want to protect their check book.

dretket

May 23, 2007, 6:50 PM
Post #22 of 26 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dunno, I was always taught to never throw anything off a cliff for that very same reason. You never know what might be down there. That said, If I ever see a rock thrown off the side of a crag, I will run to the top, grab the kid and chuck him off the side of the cliff (with fair-warning for the people below of course).

binrat

May 25, 2007, 5:43 PM
Post #23 of 26 (1471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dretket] Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There was an accident years ago where a climber was leading trad and some local rich kids were drinking beer at the top. The climber took a empty on the chin and the thrower took several to the chin after. Stupid people are put on the earth to make the rest of us look brilliant.

desertdude420

May 28, 2007, 5:09 AM
Post #24 of 26 (1404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [binrat] Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

binrat wrote:
There was an accident years ago where a climber was leading trad and some local rich kids were drinking beer at the top. The climber took a empty on the chin and the thrower took several to the chin after.
In reply to:
Stupid people are put on the earth to make the rest of us look brilliant.
That's how Bush got elected!

phang_nga

May 28, 2007, 5:44 AM
Post #25 of 26 (1209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertdude420] Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertdude420 wrote:
binrat wrote:
There was an accident years ago where a climber was leading trad and some local rich kids were drinking beer at the top. The climber took a empty on the chin and the thrower took several to the chin after.
In reply to:
Stupid people are put on the earth to make the rest of us look brilliant.
That's how Bush got elected!

Classic! TongueWink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook