RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

spidergirl

Sep 23, 2002, 1:59 AM
Post #1 of 12 (3715 views)
Shortcut

backpacks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

just curious about you guys use. im looking for info/opinions on women's quality and reliable packs for day trips. big enough to hold the essentials: rope, draws, shoes, harness, water bottles, & extras like food and clothes...
im about 5'3" so if any of you out there can suggest a particular model it would help in my search!

[ This Message was edited by: spidergirl on 2002-09-23 08:37 ]

Partner dondiego

Sep 23, 2002, 3:01 AM
Post #2 of 12 (3715 views)
Shortcut

backpacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mrs. Diego loves her Arcteryx pack. It's not female specific but it fits her great and she is about your height. We use it for day trips. You are welcome to use it whenever you like to try it out.

-D D-

[ This Message was edited by: dondiego on 2002-09-22 20:03 ]

krustyklimber

Sep 23, 2002, 5:59 AM
Post #3 of 12 (3715 views)
Shortcut

backpacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am just a few inches taller than you and I recommend you look at the REI Talus 35, again not a women specific model but a good pack at a great value.

They offer it in a smaller version which should fit you fairly well.

Jeff

climberchic

Sep 23, 2002, 1:15 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3715 views)
Shortcut

backpacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with Jeff. I absolutely love my Talus pack, although not woman-specified.

I'm looking for a higher capacity pack that women love as well, so I'd love to hear more suggestions!

~Erica

climbinganne

Sep 23, 2002, 1:53 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3715 views)
Shortcut

backpacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well...all i can say is go try them on...and pack them up while trying them on...

i did not do this...and now i suffer with a pack that is too large for me.

it is great for the airplane, as long as it is checked in...but not to take on multi-pitch climbs on my back

good luck!!

Partner dondiego

Sep 23, 2002, 3:18 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3715 views)
Shortcut

backpacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as big volume packs go, I highly reccomend Mountain Smith. I bought one that is enormous and yet is so adjustable that my mother (5' tall) can comfortably carry it when we go backpacking. Forget what my model is but I will look when I get home.

-D D-

spidergirl

Sep 23, 2002, 3:43 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3715 views)
Shortcut

backpacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for all the input guys...
i went to REI yesterday and tried on tons. loaded them up and everything. im leaning toward the Arcteryx Bora 62 or 75. anybody have one of these?

krustyklimber

Sep 23, 2002, 6:03 PM
Post #8 of 12 (3715 views)
Shortcut

backpacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think a 60-75 liter pack is WAY too big for craggin'.

The first rule of back packs is; Your pack is too big!

If you have room in your pack, the human tendency is to fill it. My Talus is a 35 liter pack and is standard fare at the crags, it will hold (just inside, forget you can lash the world on the outside) a rope, a trad rack, shoes , helmet and first aid kit... just in the main compartment, that leaves the whole top pocket for lunch!

A pack twice that big seems only to end up twice as heavy, save yourself some misery, share the load with a friend, get a smaller pack!

Jeff

climbchick

Sep 23, 2002, 6:34 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3715 views)
Shortcut

backpacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Bora 62 and like it very much, but I agree with Krusty that it's overkill for cragging. If you don't fill it up pretty well, it ends up all floppy. For extended trips and heavier loads, it rules. The only thing I don't like is that the zipper on the floating top is on the wrong side and can be a real pain in the butt sometimes. Also, I wouldn't trust the ice axe loops without some backup.

For a daypack, I have the North Face Exocet and it's OK but I didn't size it well enough and as a result, it always ends up tugging my shoulders. It's a tough pack though and has survived some serious abuse.

One suggestion: as you're trying the packs on, have the salesperson fill each one up with a good load and then walk around the store for a while with the pack on.

climberchic

Sep 24, 2002, 12:56 AM
Post #10 of 12 (3715 views)
Shortcut

backpacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Completely agree Jeff and Yvette. I hate that "floppy" feel, not to mention the fact that it does nothing for weight distribution when everything is flying around in there.

Only drawback on the Talus is that the hip belt doesn't have enough beef to it and I end up carrying the majority of the weight on my shoulders. For women though, I've found that the slender profile of the pack is perfect for my body. However, most of my guy friends have ahd this pack (all tend to be a bit slender themselves) and find its perfect for them as well. And just as Jeff said, you can fit everything you need in there perfectly for your crag pack.

DD~ I'd love to hear the name of that pack if you can find it out...

~E

Partner dondiego

Sep 24, 2002, 2:01 AM
Post #11 of 12 (3715 views)
Shortcut

backpacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just looked, it's a Mountain Smith Frostfire. Designed for mountaineering and ice-climbing but I use it for everything and it comes in several different volume sizes. My wife and mother have both used it and both love it. Carries a lot of wright nicely.

-D D-

peas

Sep 26, 2002, 9:26 PM
Post #12 of 12 (3715 views)
Shortcut

backpacks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to work at the Mountain Equipment Coop(MEC) in the backpack department and helped many many people out with backpacks. My advice is try it before you buy it and it doesn't matter whether the pack is a woman's pack or a men's pack, whatever feels best. (Hey, I wear women's sneakers because they fit better than men's). Go into the shop and get the employees to help you out. I also agree with Krusty and everyone that people often get packs that are WAY to big and then have an urge to fill them with things they won't use or need.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook