RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

collegekid

May 19, 2007, 6:19 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2005 views)
Shortcut

Fun Grip Training
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, so aside from it's application to climbing, I have started a side-hobby of grip strength and forearm training.

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from www.ironmind.com and now realize this is going to get more, not less addictive very soon, when my order comes in...

Anyway, wondering if anyone out there has started doing the "captains of crush" grippers. I ordered the step below #1 (80 lbs?), the "titan's telegraph key" to start training dynamic pinch strength, and the "hand health kit" that includes extensor training bands.

Currently, I use some pinch blocks I made by hand and do heavy finger rolls at the gym, in addition to using my gym's wrist strengthener machine and doing some extensor exercises with a cheap store-bought grip thing.

My girlfriend (jokingly) told me she'd break up with me if my forearms get too disproportionate to my body (my forearms are approaching the size of my skinny calves). :) I tell her my goal is to look like popeye--skinny everywhere but my forearms.

vbhide

May 20, 2007, 7:43 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [collegekid] Fun Grip Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good for you... just make sure u don't get injured.

Thyrfing

May 20, 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice, I've got the #1 and #2 Captains of Crush grippers. After training for a bit I can close the #2, but I'm not even going to bother ordering the #3 yet..the jump is huge.

Are the extensor bands just thick rubber bands? I've been looking into those but don't want to get them if I can go to staples and get them for a buck.

collegekid

May 21, 2007, 4:46 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Thyrfing] Fun Grip Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't received them yet, but they appear to be more advanced than just rubber bands. The set on Ironmind comes with 10 different levels of difficulty, with two bands for each level (one for each hand).

mangiacapra

May 27, 2007, 5:44 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been looking into getting some pinch excersizers from Ironmind but have no idea what's good and what's not, any reccomendations?

juststrange

May 28, 2007, 1:59 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a full set from heavy grips, i could close the 150 and 100 at first, with a week or so and some technque i closed the 200. I think the 250 is close to going, i just need to train more. Thier website has a decent schedule to it too. Looking into bending red nails or levering sledges yet??

collegekid

May 28, 2007, 6:34 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mangiacapra] Fun Grip Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mangiacapra wrote:
I've been looking into getting some pinch excersizers from Ironmind but have no idea what's good and what's not, any reccomendations?

Well, my order came in on friday. The "titan's telegraph key" seems pretty good, i'm going to start training on it tomorrow. It trains full range of pinching motion, and you use just the tips of fingers and thumb to squeeze.

The "expand your hands bands" are pretty good--apparently they treat the rubber so that they last longer. Also, even the smallest (easiest) band is pretty difficult, and there are 5 grades of difficulty.

I got a "trainer" 100 lb gripper. I'm impressed with the craftsmanship--aluminum handles with knurling that will definitely lead to callouses ($20). I think the standard grippers don't have much application to climbing though, so I'll wait until after my road trip to make use of it. The range of motion trained isn't used in climbing.

The "healthy hands kit" comes with a high-quality squeeze ball, set of expand your hands bands, and a booklet on hand health. The booklet and instructions that came with each piece of equipment was helpful--good tips on getting stronger and how to structure your workouts. The squeeze ball ("the egg" I think it's called) is surprisingly difficult to squeeze. Could be a workout on it's own.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchases--good construction, good information with equipment, rapid shipment.

collegekid

May 28, 2007, 6:40 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [juststrange] Fun Grip Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

juststrange wrote:
I bought a full set from heavy grips, i could close the 150 and 100 at first, with a week or so and some technque i closed the 200. I think the 250 is close to going, i just need to train more. Thier website has a decent schedule to it too. Looking into bending red nails or levering sledges yet??

heavy grips has a good deal on the grippers! Seems like IronMind has made it so you have to get their grippers to get certified on the #3 though (if you want to get certified). I like the "heavy handles" that they sell, might have to purchase one for doing wrist excersises. I've been looking for something like that recently.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook