Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

darkside

May 27, 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #26 of 26 (331 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Rock thrown... near miss at Bufflo Crag. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
marcuder wrote:
I really think that Rattlesnake area needs more signs at the trail heads describing how you should avoid throwing anything down because I truly think that many of these incidents are people being ignorant of the possibility of there being anything down below.

I don't know, I've seen teen tossing rocks from the top right after they saw me top out on a climb and I was belaying up my second (at Kalso). If they can't put one and one together when they know someone just came up the side of the cliff, how would a sign be any different?

I think that the park needs to start fining people who throw things from the top of the cliff and put up signs about that. Even the stupidist people want to protect their check book.
First of all, there are signs at some of the obvious locations, placed by the Access Committee while I was working on access there. When I stepped down as head of access, I left a number of additional signs for installation. Someone may want to contact the Access Committee (now named the Ontario Access Coalition) to see if they got installed. They certainly help with hikers ignorant of climbers below but unfortunately some people are worse than ignorant and will throw rocks even knowing climbers may be below.

I know some time ago there was a case of someone being charged with a 'criminal' offence for throwing rocks over a cliff. They were charged with "Reckless Endangerment". Even worse than hitting their chequebook is to have them writing out a cheque in jail.

As far as the escarpment is concerned, hikers above is regrettable but an intrinsic part of the climbing. It's like rocks falling off Yamnuska, just one more reason to wear a helmet. There are areas on the escarpment with less rock throwing but overall, the climbing is pretty good in that there are lots of styles of climbing (face, crack, stemming, corners, pockets, crimps, and on), loose rock exists but isn't excessive as limestone can go, there is fun trad, solid sport routes, short approaches, and it is generally rather vertical. It may not be the best climbing on the planet but it has a lot of good points. I had my share of rocks and logs tossed near me when I lived around there but at least I didn't have to worry about bears and avalanches then.
Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook