Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

richardvg03

May 25, 2007, 5:55 PM
Post #201 of 223 (1759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scuclimber] Are Noobs Killing Our Sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marcuder wrote:
did Moses come down from the mountain and handed someone the deed to climbing?

you HAD to bring moses into it didn't you! You just HAD to!

marcuder

May 25, 2007, 6:49 PM
Post #202 of 223 (1740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [richardvg03] Are Noobs Killing Our Sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL, wouldn't be a debate unless I brought God into it...

Anyway, I waited this long to post because I wanted every flamer to exhaust themselves. Now everybody is too tired to respond and that's just fine by me...

suzie_cuzie

May 26, 2007, 1:09 PM
Post #203 of 223 (1715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marcuder] Are Noobs Killing Our Sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dingus, I'm big enough to admit when I was wrong. I called this a sub-par troll before, and that obviously is not the case. Congratulations on achieving over 200 replies!

dingus

May 26, 2007, 3:03 PM
Post #204 of 223 (1703 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marcuder wrote:
I’m not usually given to posting strong opinions on RC but this whole debate is pissing me off:

First off, oh man… I have so much fun reading RC.COM in the morning for all the hypocrisy and hubris that gets dumped on it everyday. On one side you have people who ask a lot of questions - some good, some inane or annoying, and on the other we have those who prey and troll on the first group. Anyway, no wonder nobody every posts anything of substance anymore; every thread degenerates into a chorus of voices telling "n00bs to STFU" and n00bs crying and wailing in righteous indignation.

A few sober points my friend... first off, as you probably know, this thread IN ITS ENTIRETY was a purposeful entry into the Troll Contest (which it won hands down by god).

Expressing an elitist tude around noobs as a sure a troll as dropping a fat worm into a fish farm my friend, guaranteed to produce results.

OK, it was a joke. It wasn't mean spirited and I think I actually went on to demonstrate how each generation basically murders the one before it (if it is to grow its own influence).

But its all just talk. And I don't use those goddamned smiley faces. If you can't tell when I'm serious and when I'm not? Join the club, neither can I.

Anyway... if you will take a breath for a moment and consider:

MOST of the noob questions put up on this board get answered quietly and quickly, no fanfare, even the reptitive ones. There is a lot of garbage in the answers because a lot of 1+ year people feel the need to express themselves and their answers are like WOW most of the time.

Its THAT apsect, the repetitive questions ansswered with DUBIOUS CRAP, that disuades a lot of experienced climbers from particiapting in this board.

But anyway, the simple fact of the matter is this - almost ALL of the stfu noob things are jokes. The joke is not the words, its the ruffled feathers it produces in those WHO JUST DON'T GET IT.

There, the cards are laid bare. The whole thing, lock stock and barrel are a troll. I love noobs, why I have one locked in the back closet right now!!!111

DMT

quiteatingmysteak

May 26, 2007, 6:15 PM
Post #205 of 223 (1690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ratio of noob threads without flaming to noob threads with flaming is not nearly enough!

DIE NOOBS! DIE!

shorty

May 26, 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #206 of 223 (1667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Are Noobs Killing Our Sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
A few sober points my friend... first off, as you probably know, this thread IN ITS ENTIRETY was a purposeful entry into the Troll Contest (which it won hands down by god).
A troll?????????//////
Nooo-oo-ooo-oo. No. No no no. Say it ain't true. Jeepers, I'm crushed -- I thought this thread was for real. Frickin' bummer, dude.

dingus wrote:
There, the cards are laid bare. The whole thing, lock stock and barrel are a troll. I love noobs, why I have one locked in the back closet right now!!!111
A closet n00b?

Don't ask, don't tell.

zeke_sf

May 27, 2007, 12:43 AM
Post #207 of 223 (1660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shorty] Are Noobs Killing Our Sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard n00b tastes just like chicken...

...of the sea.

marcuder

May 27, 2007, 2:10 PM
Post #208 of 223 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear DMT,

I realize and know that a lot of n00b hazing that goes on here is just a matter of toughening up for what is an intense and sometimes very serious sport. However, I really wanted to be #200...

... LOL, no... actually I really get bothered, and this I see outside of RC.COM, that there is a few of people who whine and bitch about new climbers but don't take part in bringing them up. I guess I'm saying what I felt needed to be said for my own sanity. Ok I'm done now...

Anyhow, I do agree with you about the fact that a lot of n00bs (on this board) DO ASK repetitive questions where instead they COULD find answers if they just took initiative and a bit of perseverance to look in the forum archives. I mean isn't climbing about initiative, perseverance, and self reliance in the first place?

I guess my feeling is the proper question to ask would have been “Are n00bs killing this forum?”

PS: Dingus, please don’t think I was throwing a slap in your direction. I always thought your posts are highly entertaining truths wrapped in colorful prose. Cheers!

stymingersfink

May 28, 2007, 5:58 AM
Post #209 of 223 (1608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marcuder wrote:
So who's really killing 'the sport'... really?

I am.

DIE, Sport, DIE.

i'd rather it be relegated back to the pass-time of social miscreants and malcontents that i imagine it to have been, than a 'sport' accessible to one and all.

It ain't badminton people... don't imagine that by buying a racquet and a shuttle-cock you will become the world's premier badminton player without putting in quite a lot of work.

The same with climbing.

...except no-one (AFAIK) has ever been killt by improper or ill-informed use of a shuttle-cock or badminton racquet.

Not so with climbing, as history has proven time and time again that even being a world-class athlete in this "sport" offers no insulation from the dastardly effects of uncontrolled gravity.

richardvg03

May 28, 2007, 10:09 AM
Post #210 of 223 (1591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Are Noobs Killing Our Sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:

...except no-one (AFAIK) has ever been killt by improper or ill-informed use of a shuttle-cock or badminton racquet.

That's what YOU think! Badminton is freaking crazy!!

Laplante

May 28, 2007, 12:22 PM
Post #211 of 223 (1587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If by noob you mean a new climber, then well I have been climbing for four months, I was taken under the wing of a climber who has been climbing since the 70's at the Gunks and all over. I am firm of my belief in leave no trace, and I climb for myself. I do not trash any area, I don't believe in using bolts or adjusting the rock in any fashion. I take one path and one path only and am conscientious of the environmental hazards of numerous people trampling the area. I do not believe that being new to climbing is ruining the sport. Everyone had to start somewhere.

(This post was edited by Laplante on May 28, 2007, 12:26 PM)

marcuder

May 28, 2007, 1:52 PM
Post #212 of 223 (1568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Laplante] Are Noobs Killing Our Sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had the fortune of climbing with someone who has been climbing for almost quarter of a century and that's the point I'm trying to make - if you don't take care of the kids the kids will take care of themselves with sometimes undesired results...

Is it just me or does the word shuttle-cock sound a bit odd?

marinaaxid25

May 28, 2007, 2:31 PM
Post #213 of 223 (1555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scuclimber wrote:
On the other hand - and I can't decide which one is worse - are people who once were n00bs themselves, achieved some proficiency with tools and skills of the trade, and feel themselves entitled to put everyone else down. If you're so eager to protect the sport then educate and teach the ethic of climbing. Standing high'n mighty and pissing down on everybody else just alienates the first group and doesn't bring about any positive change in the community.

I agree. Besides, everyone has to start somewhere. You don't manage to pull a 5.13b on your first day out climbing, do you? NO.
I guess I am still stuck in this category since I have a committment to finish my graduate degree. Does that mean I'm not ambitious? HA..on the contrary. I am not shelling out $40K for a degree if I wasn't.

But, my school has a strong work ethic: If you work really hard, you will reap the benefits. Same with climbing--put in the time, and you'll get there.

But it's so counterproductive to insult those who are starting at the bottom. People need to relax a little. Heck, I'm sure some of you mentors felt good by passing your teachings down to someone right?

healyje

May 28, 2007, 8:06 PM
Post #214 of 223 (1533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marinaaxid25] Are Noobs Killing Our Sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No one should be treating beginners badly. That isn't the issue. The issue is that the gyms in each city are cranking out an annual tidal flow of 'climbers'. Now most of those folks won't last 6 months. But of those that last from 6-36 months and beyond, most will transition to outside looking for a routes that are an outdoor emulation of a gym. They are, to the tune of about 85%, entirely bolt-enabled. They are also used to routes changing in the gym and that is unsustainably sustained by bolting more and more rock - all to sustain a rolling population of 'climbers' the vast majority of whom won't be lasting more than a couple of years in the sport.

This annual tidal flow of 'climbers' isn't "keeping the sport from dying", quite the contrary, it's killing it. We were doing fine before gyms and sport climbing came along. This commercially-generated annual tidal flow of risk-averse climbers and the risk-free bolted routes they require are turning the sport into just another risk-free entertainment option - and a pedestrian one at that.

marcuder

May 28, 2007, 8:48 PM
Post #215 of 223 (1524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Are Noobs Killing Our Sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm, interesting point, though I don't entirely agree that bolts are killing the sport. I think there is a whole population of sport climbers who'll disagree that climbing a 5.12 bolted route isn't a noble pursuit... but maybe that's a whole different issue altogether. Anyway, I do agree that bolting of classic trad routes is akin to pissing a Caravaggio or Rembrandt - a sacrilege. On the other hand sometimes it’s pretty impossible to protect certain climbs with any gear so what do you do, not climb it?

moose_droppings

May 28, 2007, 9:07 PM
Post #216 of 223 (1515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marcuder wrote:
On the other hand sometimes it’s pretty impossible to protect certain climbs with any gear so what do you do, not climb it?

IMO, not everthing has to be climbed. Maybe someday someone will come along that can.

Partner hosh

May 28, 2007, 9:24 PM
Post #217 of 223 (1505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Are Noobs Killing Our Sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Team n00b is still accepting membership, and I think dingus may be in the lead for n00b of the year for 2007...

hosh.

dingus

May 30, 2007, 2:20 AM
Post #218 of 223 (1462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marcuder wrote:
Anyhow, I do agree with you about the fact that a lot of n00bs (on this board) DO ASK repetitive questions where instead they COULD find answers if they just took initiative and a bit of perseverance to look in the forum archives.

Actually I think noobs are supposed to ask those repetitive questions. I was just splaining why some don't like the dynamic here. I'm fine with it personally.

I mean grade school teachers aren't supposed to shout 'Check the FAQ' every time a new student asked how to add one plus one. It pretty much goes with the territory.

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on May 30, 2007, 2:24 AM)

dingus

May 30, 2007, 2:23 AM
Post #219 of 223 (1459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] Are Noobs Killing Our Sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hosh wrote:
Team n00b is still accepting membership, and I think dingus may be in the lead for n00b of the year for 2007...

hosh.

Right ON!

DMT

richardvg03

May 30, 2007, 2:35 AM
Post #220 of 223 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:

I mean grade school teachers aren't supposed to shout 'Check the FAQ' every time a new student asked how to add one plus one. It pretty much goes with the territory.

DMT

Well said...

jt512

May 30, 2007, 3:29 AM
Post #221 of 223 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [richardvg03] Are Noobs Killing Our Sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

richardvg03 wrote:
dingus wrote:

DMT

Well said...

On the other hand, I expect beginning climbers to be a little more self-sufficient than 1st graders, though I've recently lowered my expectations for Marine snipers.

Jay

drummergirl

May 30, 2007, 3:58 AM
Post #222 of 223 (1432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think it all depends on who is your teacher. if you were taught by someone who was once a stupid noob (and maybe still has a bit in him or her), then you are not going to respect the sport as much as you would say if your main teachers were your 50 year old father who is a true ghetto climbing masta, and your best friend who respects all who gain it and humbly deserve it. I believe it is the people the noob climbs with that shapes their view on the sport.

knieveltech

Jun 3, 2007, 6:39 AM
Post #223 of 223 (1369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drummergirl] Are Noobs Killing Our Sport? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drummergirl wrote:
i think it all depends on who is your teacher. if you were taught by someone who was once a stupid noob (and maybe still has a bit in him or her), then you are not going to respect the sport as much as you would say if your main teachers were your 50 year old father who is a true ghetto climbing masta, and your best friend who respects all who gain it and humbly deserve it. I believe it is the people the noob climbs with that shapes their view on the sport.

An excellent point. There is, however, the ocassional abberation. I've been climbing a little over six months and all of my climbing partners either do sport cragging or bouldering (I enjoy both). Unlike any of them I've apparently developed a fetish for crack climbing and am working on scraping a rack together, and frantically searching for someone who can show me how to use it. I'm anxiously looking forward to the day when I can go to Vedauwoo WY and thrutch my way up some of the razor-lined off-widths I saw there on a hiking trip. I must be sick or something.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook