RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

nswelton

May 31, 2007, 2:09 PM
Post #1 of 3 (177 views)
Shortcut

Where to find a sweet road trip rental
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi -- I have some friends coming over from Norway who are looking at renting some sort of van (they can modify it for sleeping) in Vancouver and returning it in LA or San Fran. Anyone have any good ideas where they can look for some sort of backpacker's car rental, like you might find in Oz or New Zealand?

Word!

eastvillage

May 31, 2007, 2:28 PM
Post #2 of 3 (166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nswelton] Where to find a sweet road trip rental [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Doing an "open jaw rental" from a canadian to a US city will probaly incur some heavy fees, if it's allowable. Even in the US, say Seattle P/U and San Francicco drop, you will have a substantial fee.
Even with the high cost of fuel, I bet it's cheaper overall, to Fly in and out of one city, with the LOWEST AIRPORT TAXES on rental cars.
In cities like Denver, these taxes and fees increase the weekly rate nearly 25% to 30%. Word!
You need to do a lot of comparison shopping, but depending on where you want to spend time. Flying in and out of say Portland OR, or Seattle, WA, and driving a big loop might be cheaper overall. The airport rental taxes are out of control.

jasonkester

Jun 10, 2007, 9:33 AM
Post #3 of 3 (103 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nswelton] Where to find a sweet road trip rental [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That sort of thing just doesn't exist in the 'states. A buddy of mine was looking into starting a van rental business there, but the math simply doesn't work out.

I'd say just buy a cheap van for the duration of your stay, and sell it before you leave. Once you hit the bottom of the resale market, it's really not going to depreciate much, so your $1500 van will sell for $1500 after 2 months of abuse. Assuming it is still running at the end of your trip, that is...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook