RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

punk

Sep 20, 2002, 5:16 PM
Post #1 of 5 (4344 views)
Shortcut

Maillon Rapide on a climbing harness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am trying to connect the D-link (Maillon Rapide) to my Yates Bigwall harness in order to assmble the Frog sys…do u guys have any ideas of how to connect it …also is it OK using it from the belay loop like regular Carabiner (the belay loop running through the middle of the link and not like in caving harness with two connectors loop supporting the D-link from each side of the major axis)

Partner philbox

Sep 21, 2002, 1:37 AM
Post #2 of 5 (4342 views)
Shortcut

Maillon Rapide on a climbing harness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just attach it direct into my belay loop.
...Phil...

evanmfreeman

Sep 27, 2002, 1:32 PM
Post #3 of 5 (4342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe it's just my nbewby-ness talking, but can't you just use a small locking carabiner on your belay loop instead of a quicklink?

Partner philbox

Sep 27, 2002, 10:16 PM
Post #4 of 5 (4342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The good thing about mallions is you never have to worry about cross loading them and this is why you would not want to use a carabiner for this vital connection. I`m using the Frog system more and more and of course the croll and mallion is fundamental to this system working well.

Simply put the Frog System is the best.

...Phil...

passthepitonspete

Sep 28, 2002, 12:49 AM
Post #5 of 5 (4342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope Heinz from Germany who climbed the Trip a couple weeks ago sees this. He was most appreciative when I showed him how to set up the frog system for his jug five pitches up! Beats the heck out of struggling with the traditional [i.e. stupid] system.

At any rate, it just so happens that I use a Yates Big Wall Harness and Croll ascender for my frog system.

The way you rig it is as follows:

Get a medium-sized body-weight-safe maillon rapide and put it permanently through the bottom of the Croll. Secure it with duct tape to make it a Mexican Locker.

Next, get a designated Croll locker and put it on the lower crosspiece of your harness. This should be the smallest locker you can find - the Croll must be mounted as low as possible in order to work properly.

I leave this designated Croll locker permanently mounted on this crosspiece. The gate faces outward.

When you want to jug, you connect the maillon in the bottom of the Croll to the Croll locker on your crosspiece. The Croll will be properly oriented this way.

Under NO circumstance should you connect your Croll to your belay loop! Not only will the orientation be ninety degrees out of whack, but more importantly the ascender will sit too high to maximize the efficiency of your jugging system.

On top of your Croll you have a number of options available which I have described previously. I use a piece of 1/4" shock cord padded with a chunk of towel.

To summarize, the Croll must be mounted as low as possible, and when you connect up whatever upper support system you use, you should feel "hunched over" when you stand. This will keep you upright when you jug, and will properly lift the lower ascender when you stand.

It is imperative that this be set up perfectly, or else it just won't work well.

Just ask Heinz.

The next day he was unable to replicate the system I had perfected for him, and had a more painful jug than necessary.

I am Dr. Piton,

and I am a caver who has nothing better to do than to perfect his jugging system.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook