Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

roughster

May 31, 2007, 9:09 PM
Post #26 of 39 (3212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpinismo_flujo] Williamson Rock Closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Took me no more than 5 minutes. Its in the mail:

In reply to:
Hello!

I am writing in response to the closure of Williamson Rock located in the Angeles National Forest. This area has been highly valued by the Southern California climbing community for many years, and the recent closure leaves a giant hole in our available climbing options. Climbing has a historical and valid use of this area, and other areas under the same land management unit.

Williamson, as climbers know it, has many routes of all difficulties that are excellent for both beginners and experts alike. The area also has a natural beauty to it and has flora and fauna resources and related-issues. These issues do not go unrecognized by climbers.

I am of the opinion that climbers and the MYLF (Mountain Yellow Legged Frog) and can co-exist. Through reworking trails and increasing awareness, climbers and frogs alike can share this resource.

Traditionally, Climbers, as a collective user group, respect and care for the natural areas in which we climb. This is often demonstrated by climbers being willing to work with the USFS and other agencies to mitigate problems when they arise. Creation of the Friends of Williamson Rock (FoWR) is a great example of this. Climbers are most often considered “good stewards” of the public lands we utilize. We organize trail days, clean-up days, and work with land managers to better the recreational opportunities for all user groups, not just climbers.

Climbers as a whole support the “Proposed Action” and look forward to the opportunity to once again climb at this area.

Thank you!

Partner baja_java

Jun 1, 2007, 3:05 PM
Post #27 of 39 (3173 views)
Shortcut

Re: Williamson Rock Closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

doesn't take that much to voice support. it can take as little as 2 minutes. just a short paragraph, right to the point. heck, i typed this in 2 minutes, while spending 1.5 of it munching on peach mango chips, getting to my point that it's entirely possible to write something quick while enjoying Flat Earth's Impossibly Good Peach Mango Paradise, naturally flavored baked fruit crisps, available at your nearest Albertsons here in SoCal

oh, i mean, uh, bump

tripperjm

Jun 1, 2007, 5:07 PM
Post #28 of 39 (3134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alpinismo_flujo wrote:
60 letters....WTF? People spend more time here bashing each other when that effort could be spent writing a simple letter?

C'mon people I read your writings everyday...I know you are literate. Do it, Do it now...

First I would like to personally thank all of you that have sent letters, including roughster, who despite no longer being a local, busy with his own access issue at Auburn, took the time to send a letter. Thanks guys!

That was 60 letters including letters NOT in support of the proposal.

I would have to agree, WTF????

Since the closure, I personally have received close to a hundred inquires about the status of Williamson. FoWR has a couple of hundred members. On any given weekend, during the summer season, more than a hundred climbers visit Williamson. More than 1000 views of this thread. I'm not sure why this interest has not translated in to support for the FS proposal.

A lot of time and effort has been spent by a few individuals to convince the FS that there is substantial interest in reopening Williamson. As a result of this effort the FS is taking a chance and spending some of their scarce time and monetary resources to take on the Feds with regard to this issue. Without clear public support, I personally question whether the FS will continue with the proposal.

I know everyone thinks that someone else will write a letter and it will all work out, but guess what? It hasn't happened. Given that the letters need to be mailed instead of e-mailed and the deadline for letters/comment to be on the desk is June 6th, today or tomorrow(a climbing day) is your last chance to mail in your letter.

So..... put down your flame throwers for just 5 minutes, write a letter and mail it today. E-mail your friends and partners and encourage them to write a letter and mail it today. Speak now or forever hold your peace. Not to worry, which ever knuckle head your kicking will still be there, kicking back. It's not like your going to change his mind, but a letter to the FS will have an effect on whether Williamson ever gets reopened or not.

The guy every noob loves to hate, jt512 on Carpe Diem.

bandycoot

Jun 1, 2007, 5:34 PM
Post #29 of 39 (3127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] Williamson Rock Closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We just did a letter writing campaign down here in San Diego to keep some of our major climbing areas open (fight still in progress). It was very disappointing how apathetic people can be. It surprises me that people would rather let an area be CLOSED than WRITE A LETTER. Anyways, I sent out e-mails to people who sent out e-mails so at least another hundred (hopefully hundreds of) San Diego area climbers and others were notified of the scoping period. We'll see what affect it has on the number of letters!?!

caughtinside

Jun 1, 2007, 5:49 PM
Post #30 of 39 (3119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandycoot] Williamson Rock Closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just dropped my letter in the mail, thanks for the reminder.

Never climbed at williamson, maybe never will. But we need to protect what we've got! Write a letter!

alpinismo_flujo

Jun 1, 2007, 5:50 PM
Post #31 of 39 (3118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] Williamson Rock Closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For all of you that have not written a letter yet - good luck climbing at Williamson WHEN IT OPENS because we will have a "trailhead monitor" requesting to see all proof of said letter writing in order to get in!! Laugh

BUMP!

Partner gamehendge

Jun 1, 2007, 6:51 PM
Post #32 of 39 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Letter sent..

5 min...

Bump

toejam

Jun 2, 2007, 5:01 AM
Post #33 of 39 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gamehendge] Williamson Rock Closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Letters sent by me and my girl

fredbob

Jun 2, 2007, 5:16 AM
Post #34 of 39 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roughster] Williamson Rock Closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For the last couple of years I've heard:

"What can I do to get this area re-opened?"

"What are you guys doing to get the area re-opened?"

"Why don't you just sue the Government to get it re-opened?"

"Nobody is doing anything to get the area re-opened... Take some action!"

etc.

Well, now is your chance to do something about it.

1. Write a simple letter.

2. Write it now and mail it by June 6, 2007.

It is that simple.

Individual letters count for the "opinion" of hundreds of like minded people. A strong showing of support for the USFS to re-open the area will go a LONG way toward getting the area re-opened.

But, if you sit back and do nothing, the people and organizations that oppose re-opening Williamson (like cntr for bio-diversity) will hold sway and we will lose this likely only opportunity to re-open this (thus far temporarily) closed area.

Randy Vogel

fredbob

Jun 3, 2007, 6:05 PM
Post #35 of 39 (2962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [troymayr] Williamson Rock Closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We would like to be at Williamson today, perfect weather for pulling down.

Instead it is off to some second rate crag.

You can make a difference.

Write a letter today (or tomorrow).

fredbob

Jun 4, 2007, 3:52 PM
Post #36 of 39 (2928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Write your letter yet. Time is almost up.

troymayr

Jun 4, 2007, 11:29 PM
Post #37 of 39 (2898 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fredbob] Williamson Rock Closure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Today we were informed by the USFS that letters may be postmarked before 5 PM, June 6th 2007, this Wednesday.
Previously we were told that letter must be received by the due date.

So this gives you a little more time to make your voice heard!

Please mail your letter to:
John F. Capell, District Ranger
Attn. Jonathan Schwartz
Santa Clara/Mojave Rivers Ranger District
30800 Bouquet Canyon Road
Saugus, CA 91390

As an absolute last resort, if you are unable to drop a letter in the mail, then you can send your comments via e-mail to:
<jonathanschwartz@fs.fed.us>
jonathanschwartz@fs.fed.us

Again, a hard copy letter is much preferred over e-mail.

Some general writing points (put it into your own words):

-State why climbing at Williamson is important to you, the beauty of the area etc.
-Climbers (you) respect and care for the natural areas in which we climb and are committed to access and conservation.
-Climbers are good stewards of the area.
-Climbers are willing to work with the USFS and other agencies to mitigate the problem.
-Williamson is a very valuable resource to climbers (no alternative crag like it).
-Include your contact info (include name, address and email)

Thank you all for your attention, time and effort!

Troy Mayr

troymayr

Jun 7, 2007, 5:27 PM
Post #38 of 39 (2857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Friends of Williamson Rock,

I'm sure you're curious how our response was to the USFS Scoping Letter.
Here's a brief update.

The good news:
I spoke with our primary contact at the USFS and asked him how the climber response was going.
He said:
"I give up. There are 100's, they are pouring in like rain!"

So a huge thank you to all who took the time to write!!!

The other news:
The USFS did receive a letter that could have a negative affect for us (which we expected).
While the group who wrote doesn't appear to be against climbing in any way, they are adamant about
protecting endangered species above all else (recreation etc.).
In short they will push for a full E.I.S. as opposed to an E.A.
Here are the pertinent definitions.

EA: Environmental Assessment - Generally, an EA includes brief discussions of the following: the need for the proposal; alternatives (when there is an unresolved conflict concerning alternative uses of available resources); the environmental impacts of the proposed action and alternatives; and a listing of agencies and persons consulted.

EIS: Environmental Impact Assessment (Study) - A National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA) document. An EIS, should include discussions of the purpose of and need for the action, alternatives, the affected environment, the environmental consequences of the proposed action, lists of preparers, agencies, organizations and persons to whom the statement is sent, an index, and an appendix (if any).

Next step:
The USFS I.D. Team will review the letters received and make a decision as to how to proceed.

We are off to a great start but as I have said before the process is cumbersome and slow, so I ask you to continue be patient.
Our track record with the USFS is stellar and your response was awesome this will help tremendously as we move forward.
We will let you know and other details as they become available to us.

Thanks again for your effort and support!

Troy Mayr

alpinismo_flujo

Jun 7, 2007, 5:32 PM
Post #39 of 39 (2854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Props to everyone! ..except "the one" Mad

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook