RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jedasmith

Jun 3, 2007, 9:29 PM
Post #1 of 4 (602 views)
Shortcut

PAS and tie in point
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Quick question-- when using a PAS, should you attach it to your belay loop or through the actual waist band of your harness? I have seen people do both and was wondering which was safer.
Thanks,
Jen

dylan1

Jun 3, 2007, 9:41 PM
Post #2 of 4 (594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jedasmith] PAS and tie in point [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What are you using it for? For trad climbing I use the rope to secure myself. Sport, a couple slings.....but if you do use it, the belay loop is full strength.

ja1484

Jun 3, 2007, 9:48 PM
Post #3 of 4 (586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dylan1] PAS and tie in point [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dylan1 wrote:
What are you using it for? For trad climbing I use the rope to secure myself. Sport, a couple slings.....but if you do use it, the belay loop is full strength.

Edit: Once again, as I traipsed over to Metolius's website, it says right there to girth hitch it to your harness tie-in points. I assume it comes with instructions? If so, READ EM, then ask questions if there's still a problem.

To the OP: Use it attached to the tie in point if you're girth-hitching. If you use a carabiner to attach it, attach it to your belay loop.

To the quoted: PAS is essentially a daisy chain but without the "daisy death" potential for improperly clipping in short and then falling long. I'd probably use a PAS instead of a daisy for the usual daisy stuff - aid climbing, jugging, etc.

I wouldn't use it as an anchor if dynamic rope is handy. I think we all know why.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Jun 3, 2007, 9:53 PM)

toejam

Jun 3, 2007, 9:57 PM
Post #4 of 4 (577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dylan1] PAS and tie in point [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Girth it around both of the tie-in points on your harness, following the same path as, but not attached to the belay loop. In general, it is not a good idea to tie things to the belay loop as you do not want to wear it out prematurely. The tie-in point on most harnesses are reinforced for this purpose.

I use my PAS for a zillion things. cleaning anchors, backup connection to a multipitch anchor, "sissy-clipping" a bolt when afraid to pull up rope for a clip, staying close to the wall when resting on an overhanging toprope, resting on lead without stretching the rope, etc. I've even taken it off the harness to build anchors once or twice.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook