RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

natec

Jun 11, 2007, 8:26 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1344 views)
Shortcut

Alaska Trip Report
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've written up the report for my Alaska trip that just ended. If you're looking for something to read check it out. I hope you ejoy.

Work and family safe but not much climbing in it....you'll read why.

http://nathansfixations.blogspot.com/...ska-trip-report.html

(This post was edited by natec on Jun 12, 2007, 2:55 AM)

graniteboy

Jun 11, 2007, 9:52 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [natec] Alaska Trip Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Word to the wise; Most folks looking to climb in the Ruth region do their climbing in april or may. For the hot hot hot reasons you experienced up there.

(although it's plainly true that the wise need no words...it's the unwise who need the word)....

Good luck next time. The range ain't goin nowhere.

natec

Jun 11, 2007, 10:50 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [graniteboy] Alaska Trip Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

graniteboy wrote:
Word to the wise; Most folks looking to climb in the Ruth region do their climbing in april or may. For the hot hot hot reasons you experienced up there.

(although it's plainly true that the wise need no words...it's the unwise who need the word)....

Good luck next time. The range ain't goin nowhere.

That was the biggest lesson we learned. Thanks for offering the heads up though. When looking at the times of year that many of the ascents were made we thought that the end of May beginning of June was a little late but ok.

We were way off and we knew it right away. Next year I'm planning on going back April 15 or so.

rangerrob

Jul 11, 2007, 3:13 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Would end of April beginning of May be a good time to go to the Ruth? Possibly to do one of three objectives. Ham and Eggs, Peak 11,300, or the West face of Eye Tooth. We're starting to plan for next spring.

hacksaw

Jul 11, 2007, 3:30 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Alaska Trip Report [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, in May I have had better luck then into June in the Ruth. April is colder and darker then middle of May. But, I have seen 6 - 8 feet of snowfall in May. Its always a crapshoot.... In 78' I waited 2 weeks in Talkeetna just to fly in....

natec

Jul 21, 2007, 9:51 PM
Post #6 of 8 (985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Would end of April beginning of May be a good time to go to the Ruth? Possibly to do one of three objectives. Ham and Eggs, Peak 11,300, or the West face of Eye Tooth. We're starting to plan for next spring.

When I go back it will be during the time that you are considering. Our plans are to go around 4/20 and stay until 5/15. Anything earlier would be too prone to crappy weather and anything later would be too warm IMO.

The West Face of the Eye Tooth would be iffy during that time if you ask me. Too cold for quality rockclimbing. It seems as though there are two seasons in the Ruth, ice climbing and rock climbing and they are only seperated by about 2 weeks.

rangerrob

Jul 31, 2007, 1:59 AM
Post #7 of 8 (902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah you know I just figured that out the other day. Probably not going to try a full length rock route that time of year. Still eyeing Ham and eggs, Peak 11,300, or whatever else doesn't scare the living shit out of us when we see it in real life. I have a feeling Ham and Eggs will be a big enough test for us. Anyone have personal experience in the Gorge I would be happy to hear about it.

RR

natec

Jul 31, 2007, 2:12 AM
Post #8 of 8 (895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In regards to the two routes you're looking at, if it's between the two of them you'll be forced to commit your plans to one or another.

The distance between the two, as well as the complicated/dangerous route up the root canal rules out all but the most determined group being able to check out both routes in one trip.

If you go early enough, there are quite a few more ice and snow routes down the Gorge that would be possible options. The 2006 American Alpine Journal is the best reference for the Ruth Gorge that I've found...

Too bad I bought it in the airport bookstore on the way home from Alaska.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook