Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Keep Birdsboro open, Respect the No Trespassing Signs
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

gblauer

Jun 17, 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #1 of 7 (4174 views)
Shortcut

Keep Birdsboro open, Respect the No Trespassing Signs  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region: Birdsboro)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

All,

There are several climbers who are trespassing on Haines and Kibblehouse property to access the climbing areas. (They are walking up the railroad tracks). PLEASE DO NOT TRESPASS ON HAINES AND KIBBLEHOUSE PROPERTY. PLEASE DO NOT USE THE RAILROAD TRACKS). Ted Coffelt and fellow BBO climbers installed cables across both creek crossings. Use the cables or wade across the creek rather than go up the tracks. If you continue to use the tracks, you will jeopardize climbing for all of us.

If you see other climbers using the railroad tracks please let them know that they should not trespass. Please pass the word, we don't want to lose one of the few sport climbing areas in SE PA.

Thanks so much!

(This post was edited by gblauer on Jun 17, 2007, 12:51 AM)

mojomonkey

Jun 19, 2007, 12:59 AM
Post #2 of 7 (4131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Keep Birdsboro open, Respect the No Trespassing Signs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I never did get the point of the single cable by the parking lot. The double cables make sense - I can walk on one and hold the other. Are you expected to hand over hand the a single thin steel cable? While wearing a pack? Put on a harness and use a pulley or destroy a biner on the cable?

I've never seen it used. I've seen climbers wade through the river (or try to pick a path across rocks and debris), use the tracks until you can cross the river, or just go to the far side.

So how is it meant to be used?

I've heard there is only one cable near the parking lot to discourage kids from playing on them, but that doesn't make much sense. Now they can just hang on and fall off of one (from higher up).

gblauer

Jun 19, 2007, 1:14 AM
Post #3 of 7 (4125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Keep Birdsboro open, Respect the No Trespassing Signs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a tyrolean traverse. You use a biner and a petzl plastic pulley (ULTRALEGERE) and you attach yourself (harness) to the biner with a sling and cross hand over hand. BTW, the Petzl pulley is $4.00.

If you don't want to do that, you can take off your shoes and walk across the raised concrete "dam". Right now the water is very low and the dam is easy to cross.

Whatever you choose to do, please do not use the railroad tracks!

dvd

Jun 19, 2007, 1:45 AM
Post #4 of 7 (4118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Keep Birdsboro open, Respect the No Trespassing Signs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you could also park at the other end if you didnt want to do any of those....

who says/said it was climbers, everytime I've been back there their are ppl from town walking on the road....

gblauer

Jun 19, 2007, 1:58 AM
Post #5 of 7 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dvd] Keep Birdsboro open, Respect the No Trespassing Signs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We have seen climbers (back packs, gear etc). If you see anyone (climber or not) please remind them that the Haines and Kibblehouse property (including the RR tracks) is off limits.

jsweet

Jun 19, 2007, 9:17 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dvd] Keep Birdsboro open, Respect the No Trespassing Signs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dvd wrote:
you could also park at the other end if you didnt want to do any of those....

I started doing this and it makes access really easy. you can drive around the mountain and come in on the back side of mountain on rt82 (Haycreek Road)

From the north: as you go through Birdsboro, take a right on Cocalico Rd; left on Rock Hollow Road; left on Haycreek Rd; park were road is blocked by Jersey barriers, follow road north (creek on your left) to the crag.

I think the walk is about the same distance as the other way in, but you don't have the hassle of the creek crossings.

drewwallace3

Jun 20, 2007, 6:43 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsweet] Keep Birdsboro open, Respect the No Trespassing Signs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The natural lands trust has acquired the surrounding land in the birdsboro quarry area, including the inactive quarry. the plan is to keep the area recreational. the land total is 3000 acres.

i spoke with one of their attorneys, who made it clear that they actually want climbing to continue at the quarry and support the activity. they also are planning on rebuilding the lost bridges with some sort of system for multi-use.

it is rare to have an organization that wants to support climbing on its premises. i agree with the post- either use the cables or forge the creek. it's not that bad-really. it's really important not to create unnecessary issues with this organization by trespassing on active quarry property, especially since natural lands trust condones climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook