RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

serious1

Jun 21, 2007, 1:39 PM
Post #1 of 16 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Fastest way to stretch a shoe?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well I bought a pair of 5.10 V10's(the first model(the ones that were still made in the US)) for a really great price. The right one seems to fit perfect but the left one leaves a blister on my toe. I know that these down turned shoes hurt but I also know that they get more comfy as they stretch so I just want to know the fastest way to stretch them.

(This post was edited by serious1 on Jun 21, 2007, 1:40 PM)

Azure

Jun 21, 2007, 1:52 PM
Post #2 of 16 (1455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [serious1] Fastest way to stretch a shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to put a pair of wooden shoe trees in my new shoes then stick them on the dash of my truck under the sun. The heat softens them up while the shoe trees gently stretch them out. After a couple climbing sessions they feel like slippers.

livinonasandbar

Jun 21, 2007, 1:53 PM
Post #3 of 16 (1455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Put a bunion pad or something over your toe where it blisters (to put more pressure on that part of the shoe), jam your foot into the shoe, and then soak it in a tub of hot water for awhile. The most-important step, though... is to have your girlfriend join you in the tub. (You might consider adding a little bubble-bath to the mix, too...)

I have no idea, whatsoever, if this will help stretch your shoe, but you'll have a good time finding out!

bustloose

Jun 21, 2007, 2:56 PM
Post #4 of 16 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Re: [livinonasandbar] Fastest way to stretch a shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i will forever be confused with this question. and it comes up WAY to often.

dude, if you want to wreck your shoes, then soak them in a tub and wear them for an hour or put a wooden foot in it for 3.27 days during the full moon or whatever the hell people suggest.

the way i've always looked at it you have 2 options:

1. suck it up and wear the shoes
2. suck it up and sell them to someone

as you wear them, and you sweat in them, they'll stretch to fit your foot, if you want to accelerate the process, wear them for longer, or walk around in them every now and then.

i have several pairs of shoes in the basement that never did end up fitting quite right. unless you have NO money, then just buy a new pair that are the right size. every one always talks about a new rope as 'is your life not worth 200 bucks?' well i pose this to you... is your comfort and enjoyment of climbing not worth 89.95?

livinonasandbar

Jun 21, 2007, 3:10 PM
Post #5 of 16 (1404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bustloose] Fastest way to stretch a shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
i will forever be confused with this question. and it comes up WAY to often.

dude, if you want to wreck your shoes, then soak them in a tub and wear them for an hour or put a wooden foot in it for 3.27 days during the full moon or whatever the hell people suggest.

the way i've always looked at it you have 2 options:

1. suck it up and wear the shoes
2. suck it up and sell them to someone

as you wear them, and you sweat in them, they'll stretch to fit your foot, if you want to accelerate the process, wear them for longer, or walk around in them every now and then.

i have several pairs of shoes in the basement that never did end up fitting quite right. unless you have NO money, then just buy a new pair that are the right size. every one always talks about a new rope as 'is your life not worth 200 bucks?' well i pose this to you... is your comfort and enjoyment of climbing not worth 89.95?

Dude, that's all well and good, but why would you try to talk the guy out of a little quality nakey time in the tub with his gurlfriend? Worth: priceless!

bustloose

Jun 21, 2007, 3:13 PM
Post #6 of 16 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [livinonasandbar] Fastest way to stretch a shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

livinonasandbar wrote:
Dude, that's all well and good, but why would you try to talk the guy out of a little quality nakey time in the tub with his gurlfriend? Worth: priceless!

tell her you have to be in the tub for at LEAST 30 minutes to get your feet to swell 1/4 size before you put your shoes on...

coastal_climber

Jun 22, 2007, 4:26 AM
Post #7 of 16 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Put them on and sit with your feet in warm water for 10mins, then walk around the house until they dry.

>Cam

sbaclimber

Jun 22, 2007, 4:32 AM
Post #8 of 16 (1312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Fastest way to stretch a shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
Put them on and sit with your feet in warm water for 10mins, then walk hobble around the house until they dry.
Tongue

pastprime

Jun 22, 2007, 5:28 PM
Post #9 of 16 (1251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Something less drastic than soaking that works well is put moleskin on the spot on your foot that's bothered (optional, but not a bad idea); then fill the shoe with warm, not too hot, water. Leather is made of the same stuff as your skin, and gets damaged at pretty much the same temperature. The glue in the shoe starts to let go at temperatures not much above a hot shower, also.
Pour the water in the shoe, let it sit for maybe 10 seconds, then pour it back out and put the shoe on. Wear it until it dries, or your feet hurt, whichever comes first, though if they are still painful when the leather is damp, the shoes probably don't fit.
This process just accellerates what happens when your feet sweat in the shoes, with the added advantage that your feet aren't already sore by the time the leather gets soft enough to start conforming.
If you can wear the shoes until they are dry, don't have to be standing in them, just have your feet inside, it will help keep them from shrinking back down as they dry.

If the shoes lace all the way to the toe, leaving the last pair of holes unlaced near the toe, that can help.

markc

Jun 22, 2007, 6:00 PM
Post #10 of 16 (1232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
dude, if you want to wreck your shoes, then soak them in a tub and wear them for an hour or put a wooden foot in it for 3.27 days during the full moon or whatever the hell people suggest...

i have several pairs of shoes in the basement that never did end up fitting quite right. unless you have NO money, then just buy a new pair that are the right size.

Okay, so instead of 'wrecking' my shoes by trying to get them to actually fit, you recommend starting a shoe museum in my basement? That's stellar advice.

rymep

Jun 22, 2007, 6:14 PM
Post #11 of 16 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Fastest way to stretch a shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I went out and did laps on a 5.5 route for about 2 hours. By the end of the day they were loose enough that they no longer hurt. Another 2 months of casual climbing and they're totally broken in and fit perfectly.

hbusch

Jun 22, 2007, 6:39 PM
Post #12 of 16 (1208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
if the part of the shoe you want to strech is made of leather then you can use alcohol to dilate the leather. Dilate it while the alcohol is on the leather.
so long, Harald

billcoe_

Jun 25, 2007, 3:35 PM
Post #13 of 16 (1125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hbusch] Fastest way to stretch a shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a pair of Acopas recently that were too tight. (I wanted them somewhat tight -they were 9-1/2 and I wear 8-1/2, and although I was buying them in the local store and trying the fit, I couldn't get myself to buy a size 10, when I were an 8-1/2.

I go soak my feet for 5 min in hot water, and put them right into the shoe and crank the laces down. Leave it on for and hour or 2 around the house. I'm on my second pass now and they are almost climbable.

I can feel the difference.

They are not a lined shoe however. If they were, I'd have tried to swap them for a larger size.

Good luck

Bill

billcoe_

Jun 25, 2007, 3:35 PM
Post #14 of 16 (1123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Fastest way to stretch a shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't dry your foot off as you stuff it inside.

serious1

Jun 26, 2007, 3:37 PM
Post #15 of 16 (1053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Fastest way to stretch a shoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I put them on for 30 minutes each night as I lay in bed trying to sleep. The right one fits perfectly and isn't painful at all but the left(The larger foot) one still hurts although it doesn't blister anymore. I think i might try to wet my left foot and then wear the shoes. I thought about putting them in hot water but I was afraid of undoing the glue like someone said earlier. Thanks for all the replies.

karlbaba

Jun 27, 2007, 4:22 AM
Post #16 of 16 (1029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Feet have a lot of bones and ligaments in them. Don't use them as shoe-stretchers if you value your future mobility.

The fastest way is take em to a cobler who has a $700 stetching machine. Some charge as little as $5-10$ for this service.

Any committed climber has this problem from time to time. I recommend spending $20 on a two way shoe-stretcher.

http://www.amazon.com/...etcher/dp/B000PON1VQ

http://tinyurl.com/2gk7o5

http://www.colonialmedical.com/....php?productid=18751 This one is twice as cheap and $6 shoe stretcher spray is available

Soaking with water before stretching may improve results and I haven't found it to wreck shoes

peace

karl

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook