RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

billburning

Sep 29, 2002, 11:18 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1267 views)
Shortcut

How slow am I?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alright, so I've been wondering how slow I am at aid climbing. The extent of my aid climbing has been two 200 foot pitches of C2 in Zion that took me 2.5-3 hours and this weekend I led my first pitch of A3 (75 feet) in Arches (incredibly scarey sandstone) that took me the better part of three hours. It seems that when I'm climbing I'm going painfully slow, just wondering if this is normal, or I just suck really badly...

no_limit

Sep 29, 2002, 11:22 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1267 views)
Shortcut

How slow am I? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Who cares if you climb slow? All that matters is that you are having fun and are trying your best. I know that sounds like something they say in little league, but that is what climbing is all about. Sure, you should try and be faster and better, but it really doesn't matter that much.

apollodorus

Sep 30, 2002, 12:16 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's about right for aid climbing. You might be a little slower than average, but not by much.

dsafanda

Sep 30, 2002, 12:36 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From a fellow wall snail:

It's all relative. It seems jut a bit slower than average but not too horrendous. Then again people like Chris McNamara would probably dispatch with an average C2 pitch in 20 mintues.

Despite the good intentions of no_limit, I think you should care about climbing faster. It simply opens so many doors in terms of the routes you can do with out carrying huge quatities of water and food. My personal goal is to be able to climb and have partner clean a standard C1 pitch in 45 minutes to an hour. I'd like to get C2 down to an hour and a half or so. I'm pretty close. I know these times are super slow compared to really good aid climbers but it will let me climb the longer routes I want to climb.

I think this is a good subject. I'd be curious to see how fast others climb. I think we've simply got to get a lot of pitches under our belt to get faster.

[ This Message was edited by: dsafanda on 2002-09-29 17:39 ]

punk

Sep 30, 2002, 6:43 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome my Compadre to the slogs club… I am too heinously slow …and don't really care for speed ascents…for me its all about the fun and the new words that I inventing swearing my way up the pitch at every piece I put in and farting up a storm …not for the fainted hart…not a pretty site….but everyone holding their stomach laughing when Im miserably making my way up to the belay

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook