RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

PerfectusVarrus

Jun 11, 2007, 3:33 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1222 views)
Shortcut

Sport in MA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm taking a friend of mine outdoors to try and teach her to sport lead, does anyone know a good place in MA to go, preferably close to Boston, but western mass is always fine. The only real place I know of right now is Rumney up in NH, and thats quite a hike for us, since my car is out in Medway. The climbs dont have to be tough, indeed it'd be easier if their around 5.7's or below.

Thanks alot!

jakedatc

Jun 11, 2007, 3:53 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [PerfectusVarrus] Sport in MA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You will probably not find sport climbing in MA under 5.9.. I'm not sure what Rose Ledge has(if any).. but it's probably worth the extra half hour or whatever from medway to hit up Rumney instead

Closest place to teach her is going to be the gym.. metro is probably the best to find things easier that are leadable.. i dont think brg has much easy stuff but i havent been in a while.

outdoors it's rumney..

olderic

Jun 11, 2007, 5:42 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Sport in MA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think you are going to find much of any fully bolted easy stuff anyplace in MA. Fool on the Hill at Crow has chains on top of the first pitch and the crux section has 2 bolts but most people need tp place several trad pieces on the "approach". There are some bolted lines at the Quarries but either the bolts are suspect, the climbing is still runout, the climbing is hard - or all 3. You best bet would be to go to some place like the lower pond wall at Hammond and lace up one of the trad cracks with gear so it is a clip up - dare I say "pinkpoint". And try and get up to Rumney to complete the education.

begood77

Jun 11, 2007, 6:25 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rumney is probably the best option but check out Mormon and Farley. Might be a little hard but...

http://www.westernmacc.com/climbing/index.htm

jakedatc

Jun 11, 2007, 7:15 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1159 views)
Shortcut

Re: [begood77] Sport in MA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Farley definitely doesn't have anything that easy and a bunch of the lines are mixed bolted and gear.. and since there is no guide you'd probably need a local to let you know what's what.

not sure about mormon but again.. if you're going to go that far. it's only like another half hour to rumney so wtf's the point?

notch

Jun 25, 2007, 12:47 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with Old E. If you've got the trad skills, preplace a nice easy route and let her lead on. Pink point indeed! Just for kicks I sewed Broadway out at Crow Hill and that was a great lead for my wife.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook