Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Partner pharmboy

Jun 25, 2007, 5:16 PM
Post #201 of 219 (2900 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Rumney Ruckus II - June 22nd --> 25th [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all. Sorry for bailing early on Saturday and being a total bore on Friday Night. Had a bit of a crisis at home and I wasn't in a social or climbing mood. Saturday was a nice day but decided by the afternoon that I needed to get home. Unfortunately we lost one of our dogs that got hit by a car, so my Saturday Night was spent burying her.

It was great to see some old friends and meet some new folks as well.

Alan... Matt gave me some cash for you and I also have some cash, so would you either post your mailing address here or shoot me a PM with it. I need to send you the money.

Here's to hoping that there's a Ruckus '08!

wonderwoman

Jun 25, 2007, 5:31 PM
Post #202 of 219 (2888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pharmboy] Rumney Ruckus II - June 22nd --> 25th [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rich, so sorry to hear about your loss. That's not they type of TR that anyone likes to have to write about. We definately missed your presence on Saturday night, and hope that you and Amy doing okay.

We too would like to send some cash to Alan. We slept late and didn't see him on Sunday morning to even get to say goodbye. Please post or PM a place so send some cash.

To follow up from GO's post: Things I learned were

2. Gold Digger was officially dubbed 'the hardest 5.8 in the country' by one Ruckusser. (Some of us thought that he might need to get to new places)

3. Gabe looks grainy when he climbs Waimea and should learn how to stay in the camera frame. Geesh!

surgicalfocus

Jun 25, 2007, 8:05 PM
Post #203 of 219 (2872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Rumney Ruckus II - June 22nd --> 25th [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok I will follow up on this:

1. Gold Digger gave me no love whatsoever either, but that was my first 5.8 outside.

2. If Gabe was grainy and not in the frame on Waimea does that mean that you were nowhere to be found in the frame when it was my turn to helm cam? Oh hell. Now I am scared.

2.5 It was truly a treat to watch Allison climb Waimea and she made all of the french climbers go ooh la la. Gabe is lucky guy.

3. Tiff and Josh were kind enough to tolerate my noobness and questions for the entire weekend and are supa-fine teachers.

4. Jake ended up setting Teachers Pet for me, which was my first real completed outdoor climb ever. Not much to the climbing gods I was hanging with....but it meant a lot to me.Smile

I too, would like to pitch in for weekend costs!

~kd

losbill

Jun 25, 2007, 9:55 PM
Post #204 of 219 (2854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surgicalfocus] Rumney Ruckus II - June 22nd --> 25th [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A great big THANK YOU!!! to Alan for putting on the Ruckus. I had a terrific time. Thanks to Jim and Colleen as well for the use of their property.

Todd, Kathy, Chester & Abby it was great to meet you folks!

What I learned, or in some cases relearned

1) Be open to new experiences, the Climbers Dinner Friday night at the Rumney Baptist Church was great and I met a lot of very nice people. Thanks to Reverend Dan and his wife for a great meal!!! Thanks to Todd for arranging it.

2) Yes, Kevin "this is the hardest 5.8 on the planet" Gallagher does need to "get out more", but I already knew that!!! Kev feels that as long as you have Crow Hill what more do you need. Kev did great on his second day of sport climbing getting a clean TR of Holderness Arete (5,10b) and clean (?) TR of Polly Purebred (5.10b) amongst other things.

3) Friday Trad Day at the Rumney Ruckus is doomed!!! The yearly downpours are a signal from the Gods of Sport Climbing that thou shalt not worship Trad, the dark side of climbing.

4) Mock not lest you be mocked!!! Goaded Notch into "warming up" on L&P which he got clean, getting the RP on it he had been after for awhile. I then horribly botched it, got pumped and had to lower!!! Duh!

5)There are some great routes on the Main Cliff! Thanks Ed for putting up the TRs on Polly Purebred, Known Ethics and Goldbug. Got a great workout and I'm inspired to step up my climbing so I can enjoy leading these great routes.

6) Jake's idea of working a project, he sent Sky Pilot (5.11b), apparently consists of climbing it a 2nd time!! Great job! Jake!

7)Sit starts apparently have a place in sport climbing. At least according to Ed and Jake and at least on Son of Sammy on a rainy afternoon.

8)The climbing world is truly a small one. Kathy who hooked up with Tiff at a recent women's climbing event turned out to be a good friend of my new climbing bud Aaron. Kathy you did great! Next time, Da Gunks!

9) Josh is one determined guy! Rap Echo will be going down and soon!

10)Cragging at Rumney with a great group of climbing friends is a blast!!!

Bill

notch

Jun 25, 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #205 of 219 (2846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [losbill] Rumney Ruckus II - June 22nd --> 25th [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I learned that when Bill calls a route "funky", stay the heck away. Even if it's only a 5.6.

I also learned that it's a small world. The founder of Todd's organization had lunch with my Dad a few month's ago.

I learned it's much more fun to gloat silently than to laugh loudly. Not that Bill's experience on L&P has anything to do with this.

I learned that we need to do this again next year, and really would like to hear people's thoughts about how we can make it happen. I don't know of any property up there, but I'm willing to organize it none the less.

jakedatc

Jun 26, 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #206 of 219 (2837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notch] Rumney Ruckus II - June 22nd --> 25th [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey.. i created this thread to post all the trip reports in one spot..

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ost=1619652;#1619652

dan4geng

Jun 26, 2007, 2:40 AM
Post #207 of 219 (2821 views)
Shortcut

What Ruckus? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So funny how I went to Rumney this weekend and asked around about this whole Ruckus event and NOONE, not one single person, knew anything about it. So my partner and I drove to where the Ruckus was supposed to be taking place and saw a whole 4 tents. I figured by the rediculous length of this forum that there was acutally going to be people there... Not that Im complaining cause i still had an awesome time climbing, but WTF? I was under the impression that this was an actual event not just a handful of people camping in someone's backyard.

- dan

blueeyedclimber

Jun 26, 2007, 2:49 AM
Post #208 of 219 (2820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Let's see - things I learned this weekend:

1 - If it flies, Josh doesn't like it. Birds, bees, bats. Doesn't seem to matter.

Hey, come on now, your painting me into quite the animal hater. Let me explain.

1. I dislike being on a climb with a very large bird waiting at the top to peck my eyes out for disturbing it.... 2. I don't mind BEES, it's WASPS and HORNETS that scare the bejeezus out of me....and 3. bats, cracks and me don't mix.

Oh, btw, what I learned....

1. WOnderwoman is the love of my life, even though she looks like a big dork with her new "laser" helmet cam.

2. I think I have really turned into a trad climber. Man, do I ache.

3. When you have absolutely no endurance for the second day, try something short and bouldery.

4. Bill is a very patient belayer.

5. Gabe and Allison give Tiff and I some competition for cutest couple.

6. Jake gives good foot beta.

7. This isn't something I learned but I need to say it anyway. Rich, I am sending positive vibes to you and AMy. I hate it when bad things happen to good people. You were definitely missed and I am very sorry to hear about your dog.

Josh

blueeyedclimber

Jun 26, 2007, 2:52 AM
Post #209 of 219 (2817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan4geng] What Ruckus? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan4geng wrote:
So funny how I went to Rumney this weekend and asked around about this whole Ruckus event and NOONE, not one single person, knew anything about it. So my partner and I drove to where the Ruckus was supposed to be taking place and saw a whole 4 tents. I figured by the rediculous length of this forum that there was acutally going to be people there... Not that Im complaining cause i still had an awesome time climbing, but WTF? I was under the impression that this was an actual event not just a handful of people camping in someone's backyard.

- dan

Gee, I'm really sorry you didn't show up.Laugh

jakedatc

Jun 26, 2007, 3:38 AM
Post #210 of 219 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dan4geng wrote:

- dan
oh? cuz it sounds like it
call the WAAHHHHHHBULANCE Frown

Josh you're right. my foot beta rocks.. yours also rocks.. i 1 hung Things today but didnt have the juice to get the high step rock over move without a fall. also.. my arm hurts again.. i wonder why :)
And you are afraid of all things winged.. admitting it is the first step ;)
You and Tiff are great to climb with.. i'd do it again for sure. I want to see the video from the borg cam.

C4C.. i was harsh when you first posted up and pre-judged you and i'm glad i hit up the dinner cuz it was not preachy or anything like that. Good people, good food, damn good dessert.

Bill.. short project.. but project none the less ;) I did it again with alan today and he TR'd it with a hang. Don't Trad the sport climbing! :)

matt.. i think you had many warnings.. bill said funky.. i said dirty.. you led on. you shoulda done the sit start

I agree.. gabe and allison rock.. i had a great time roping up with you guys.. congrats again on the onsite and early season proj killing. new proj! hard 11c is made much easier with gabe providing the birthday party belay on steroids. "wow i didnt even stand on the rock and i'm going up!"

c4c

Jun 26, 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #211 of 219 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dan4geng wrote:

- dan
maybe, only 4 but one of those was Rich's and we all could have stayed n that one!!!

notch

Jun 26, 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #212 of 219 (2799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dan4geng wrote:

- dan
Well Dan, I've got great news. We're looking for someone to take over planning this, so why don't you give it a go? Given that you already know how it should be done, I'm really looking forward to attending next year!

dan4geng

Jun 26, 2007, 11:02 AM
Post #213 of 219 (2795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notch] What Ruckus? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok ok... sorry for whining. It just wasn’t what i was expecting. It gave me a reason and ride up to rumney so i was grateful for that

- Dan

Partner jammer

Jun 26, 2007, 1:30 PM
Post #214 of 219 (2773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This was the best so far. I say so far, cause it will happen again, we just don't have a solid place yet, but it will happen. Colleen mentioned that the speed in which they are progressing, they will be there next year. I hope so, but have given thought to try and bring the camping closer to Rumney, but this may mean that who ever attend would have to make their own reservation at a local campground ... maybe that lady across from the parking lot??? At any point, the camping will not be free, which is one of my goals for these gatherings.

Dan ... sorry you just drove by. I sat and watched a few cars do the same thing. Maybe, just maybe, if those who just drove by actually stopped and put up their tent, them those who followed would of not thought the same as you. By counting all the people who said they were coming, it was well over 40 climbers. And yes, it was mentioned in this thread that it was going to be just what it was ... a gathering where climbers got to meet other climbers for the first time, make contact, exchange info and climb. Dat's all folks. BTW ... you had to stay somewhere ... where did you end up staying?

What did I learn and re-learn this year ...

God still answers prayers and let the son shine in!

Those who were supposed to be there, were.

Todd does not carry a bible for thumping ...

Rich is a responsible man with convictions! Even though you were quite missed, you were needed and you went. Heart goes out to your family for yet another loss of mans best friend.

There are more people older then me who actually climb!!

That I will break into the 11 range lead by the end of this year. Jake, thanks again for making me keep my word and get on something more challenging. Sky Pilot, 11b, is the hardest yet, but not over my head ... thanks again Jake for the belay and beta.

My son, Matt, IS a climber! I knew it a few years ago, it just took him that long to listen to Dad and do it! First year out and he made 8's look like a staircase. Gotta move him up to 9's and 10's so he can help me create a climbing base around Lebanon.

I can make a loads of money selling my guide book on ebay.

Ed taught me that one should always remember to replace the fuse for the tail lights before the sun sets ... unless you really want to make friends with the local police.

Gabe is secretly starting up the vaulgarian method of climbing ... let's hope it stays at the gunks ... Rumney just ain't ready for it yet!

I'm reminded that bouldering is a great training tool for climbing, as Jake gave great examples on Things as they are now - 12a.

Tiff has a close eye on the relationship that Rich and Josh has going on ... be good boys, the boss is watching!

There are a lot of great people out there and they keep showing up, year after year.

Thanks to all who made this happen. Even if it is just a few sitting around the fire at night, it is well worth the time spent getting ready. Rarely does one have a chance to meet great people and I do appreciate each of you. There is more to say, but it will be said in the trip report. I will be posting it on the TR page, as Jake started.

Alan

Partner jammer

Jun 26, 2007, 1:37 PM
Post #215 of 219 (2770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Jammer - you must have incurred some expenses for the weekend, renting the port-a-john and stuff. I know you haven't asked, but can those of us who'd like, send a check to help offset some of that?

Send me an email at af.emery@verizon.net and I'll reply with the address. To let you all know, I will put this money in an account for NEXT year! Rumney Ruckus will happen again!

I edited due to the incorrect email address ... been a long weekend ... Thanks Gabe for catching it!

(This post was edited by jammer on Jun 26, 2007, 8:00 PM)

dan4geng

Jun 26, 2007, 8:02 PM
Post #216 of 219 (2742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] What Ruckus? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I found a ride up with this guy who lives in my area and who's parents live close to rumney in VT. So we ended up staying at his parents house. Which turned out to be a sweet deal. I've never had such a luxurious climbing trip. Sleeping in a real bed, taking a shower, have meals cooked and lunches packed. Not to mention the climbing was amazing. It was perfect.

Partner jammer

Jun 26, 2007, 8:48 PM
Post #217 of 219 (2731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to see you enjoyed your trip ... even if the rock is sharp! Hope to see you next time this happens.

sterling_sonya

Jun 26, 2007, 8:53 PM
Post #218 of 219 (2727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] What Ruckus? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I made it up on Sunday and was disappointed to not see Josh & Tiff or meet the other fellow ruckusers, but perhaps next year. Glad to hear that you all had such a great time! Wink

Partner jammer

Jun 26, 2007, 9:33 PM
Post #219 of 219 (2719 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sterling_sonya] What Ruckus? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was wondering what happened ... was looking forward to saying Hi ... next year!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook