Forums: Climbing Information: The Lab:
another catastrophic anchor failure (from 2000)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

papounet

Jun 27, 2007, 9:40 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2528 views)
Shortcut

another catastrophic anchor failure (from 2000)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rgold has postulated that one of the reasons anchor failure are not that numerous is because anchors are to tested by ff2 on them. statistically, if they are 10 piece of protection per pitch, the probability that a fall will occur with zero protection holding is rather low.

In the report below, you ll find a catastrophic failure caused by : individual pieces not strong enough compounded by a rigging system that caused sequential loading.

In reply to:
Eric now realizes he made a grave error in not creating an equalized, narrow angled, no extension, redundant, bombproof belay anchor. As he fell, all of the force came on one nut at a time in sequence as his protection pulled from the rock. He then broke the single spectra sling stretched 120 degrees horizontally and clipped in “an American triangle” only on one side as it raked across the rough volcanic rock. As he pulled his belayer off the ledge, the single medium sized anchor nut and two small brass nuts exploded from the rock.

The complete report (remarquably written)
http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/...ashington_Seyler.htm

The survival of the two climber despite their injuries is a tribute to their spirit.

majid_sabet

Jun 27, 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [papounet] another catastrophic anchor failure (from 2000) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Please change the topic since this is 7 years old

This should not be a surprise

In reply to:
He then broke the single spectra sling stretched 120 degrees horizontally and clipped in “an American triangle” only on one side as it raked across the rough volcanic rock. As he pulled his belayer off the ledge, the single medium sized anchor nut and two small brass nuts exploded from the rock

Edit: I do not think this belongs to LAB

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jun 28, 2007, 12:33 AM)

billl7

Jun 27, 2007, 10:48 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2423 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] another catastrophic anchor failure (from 2000) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Appropriate forum aside, I don't mind seeing the article resurface after all these years. It's very good reading material for someone new to traditional climbing; it should raise many questions in the inexperienced. So much was wrong about that adventure that it's difficult to emphasize much more than the fundamentals of protection. I am greatful for their account and hope that their injuries have largely resolved.

chris_winter

Jun 28, 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] another catastrophic anchor failure (from 2000) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pretty sure I cleaned some of their tat from that belay station a year or two after that accident on the way to the chimney of space. Dark and scary in there.

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook