RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

lena_chita

Jul 3, 2007, 5:54 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3357 views)
Shortcut

Torrent Falls re-opening? (RRG)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I saw a small blurb in Climbing last month that Torrent falls might be re-opening for climbing "later this summer". Anybody has more info than that?

More specificly, I'm planning to go to the Red in early August. It would be so nice if the Torrent falls area were open again by then...

Thanks!

electricdisciple

Jul 3, 2007, 6:20 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Torrent Falls re-opening? (RRG) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Torrent Falls is still officially closed to climbing. Two individuals bought the climbing area from Mark Myers this year. No set date of when or if Torrent will be open to climbing to the general public.

Just last weekend, July 1st, 2007, Torrent Falls was open to climbers who attended that morning's Red River Gorge Climbers Coalition meeting.

Anyone who is anybody who climbs down at the Red River Gorge should (dare I say MUST) be a member of the Coalition. If you want to join with the elite climbers of the Red River Gorge, membership is strongly encouraged.

Check out the link www.rrgcc.com for membership information.

bigjonnyc

Jul 3, 2007, 6:56 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [electricdisciple] Torrent Falls re-opening? (RRG) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you really are interested then you may want to go to http://www.rrgcc.org instead.

lena_chita

Jul 3, 2007, 8:09 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

electricdisciple wrote:
Anyone who is anybody who climbs down at the Red River Gorge should (dare I say MUST) be a member of the Coalition. ...

I don't think I am qualifying as someone who is "somebody". Is there a list of qualifying criteria?

bigjohnny, thanks for the link, I have checked there already. The page just says that Torrent is closed (on the side), but if you pick "closures" from the top menu (under "RRG info") then Torrent falls is not listed as closed.

(This post was edited by lena_chita on Jul 3, 2007, 8:18 PM)

electricdisciple

Jul 3, 2007, 8:16 PM
Post #5 of 10 (3272 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Lena, there aren't any membership requirements. You only have to love climbing, climb, or want to help out climbers. Right now the biggest part of our mission is to buy the Pendergrass Murray Recreational Preserve before an oil company can buy the land to go with their mineral rights. We are also working on having the best Rocktrip ever, hosted by Petzl. Go on the website (Thanks bigjohnny) and become a member. We need your support!

lena_chita

Jul 3, 2007, 8:20 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

electricdisciple wrote:
Well Lena, there aren't any membership requirements.

I was joking, b/c I thought your statewment about anybody who is somebody belonging to the coalition was funny.

electricdisciple

Jul 3, 2007, 8:43 PM
Post #7 of 10 (3259 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, my point that RRGCC membership is a pretty important thing. If you want access to the climbing in the Red, or any other region for that matter, you need to join whatever group there is to help promote, protect, and preserve responsible climbing in the areas you climb. It just makes good sense!

I hope my passion was felt, and my elitism wasn't.

Where in OH are you from?

lena_chita

Jul 5, 2007, 7:12 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3213 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand, electricdisciple. Access does matter and Access Fund is a good thing, and I support it. Your first post just came through as if you were saying 'in order to be somebody, you should join the coalition, then you may even get invited to special member-only climbing events.'

I'm in Cleveland, so unfortunately trips to the Red are maybe 2x a year thing for me. It's only 1.5 hours more than getting to the New, but for some reason that extra hour feels REALLLYYY long, especially with kids, so we reserve that sort of trip for when we either don't have kids with us, or have at least 3 days for climbing-- not for a regular weekend.

captainstatic

Jul 20, 2007, 5:41 PM
Post #9 of 10 (3001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lena,

You might want to check out the option of renting one of the two cabins at Torrent as climbing is allowed for people renting them.

The new owner of Torrent, Dr. Bob Matheny, Jr., has been working on making improvements to the property and wants to give the area a chance to recover from over use before re-opening it to climbing. One thing Dr. Bob has made clear is that when Torrent reopens, the number of people allowed to climb will be limited by some type of pass system.

lena_chita

Jul 27, 2007, 8:06 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [captainstatic] Torrent Falls re-opening? (RRG) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, I've heard that if you stay in the cabins you can still climb at Torrent. I might do it at some point. But right now there is so much stuff at my level that I haven't yet climbed at the Red, that it seems silly to spend extra money (which I just don't have at this point) for the privillege of climging specifically at Torrent falls.
I LOVED the area though, from one time that I did get to climb there before it got closed... which is why I don't rule out the cabin thing at some point.

And I guess some sort of a system limiting the number of climbers per day in the area does make sense. if I had to chose between some sort of a system that requires you to reserve time in advance, vs. complete closure, I know what I would prefer, LOL.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook