RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

methuselah

Jul 4, 2007, 2:05 AM
Post #1 of 11 (4006 views)
Shortcut

fatality at Skaha bluffs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sad news:
http://www.squamishclimbing.com/squamish_climbing_bb/viewtopic.php?t=1576&sid=573eed6603af00306c61d49032db6611

Tuwie

Jul 4, 2007, 2:40 AM
Post #2 of 11 (3981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [methuselah] fatality at Skaha bluffs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Now with clicky goodness...

paulc

Jul 4, 2007, 7:22 AM
Post #3 of 11 (3895 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

methuselah wrote:
Sad news:

Indeed, RIP.

Climb safe everybody.

Paul

livinonasandbar

Jul 4, 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #4 of 11 (3847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paulc] fatality at Skaha bluffs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote- Russ Turner, owner of Skaha Rock Adventures and an outdoor guide for 30 years, said...

"I just see a lot of novices coming to learn from friends," said Turner adding how incorrect information from inexperienced climbers is passed down the line onto friends and other people. It (wrong information) gets passed down until soon it becomes meaningless," he said. -End quote.

Sounds just like RC.com...

paulc

Jul 4, 2007, 4:53 PM
Post #5 of 11 (3731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [livinonasandbar] fatality at Skaha bluffs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

livinonasandbar wrote:
Quote- Russ Turner, owner of Skaha Rock Adventures and an outdoor guide for 30 years, said...

"I just see a lot of novices coming to learn from friends," said Turner adding how incorrect information from inexperienced climbers is passed down the line onto friends and other people. It (wrong information) gets passed down until soon it becomes meaningless," he said. -End quote.

Sounds just like RC.com...

While true in general on both counts, not true in this specific case. She was experienced.

Paul

majid_sabet

Jul 4, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #6 of 11 (3681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paulc
Was this falling from the end of rap line?

paulc

Jul 4, 2007, 7:02 PM
Post #7 of 11 (3633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] fatality at Skaha bluffs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From the sound of the article (based on distance fallen), seems more likely a rappel setup failure than a uneven line issue.

Paul

maracas

Jul 4, 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #8 of 11 (3564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am afraid when people I know are out there, specially when it says she was from the lower mainland. Any news on the name?

tradrenn

Jul 6, 2007, 12:53 AM
Post #9 of 11 (3384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My deepest condolences to family and friends.

zoochy

Jul 6, 2007, 9:04 PM
Post #10 of 11 (3192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] fatality at Skaha bluffs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From penticton.ok.bc.ca

Bluffs death raises issues of liability
By SCOTT TRUDEAU
Thursday, July 5, 2007

With its breathtaking scenery, hundreds of climbing routes and its international status, the Skaha Bluffs has long been a rock climbers’ paradise.

It was also a place where, in spite of the thousands of climbers who visit each year, no casualties had occurred, until last Saturday when Caroline Cheung , a 32-year-old Vancouver resident, fell 23 metres from the top of the Grassy Glades climbing area. She was pronounced dead at the scene after suffering massive head injuries.

While Cheung’s death is a tragedy for her family, friends and those in the climbing community it also raises concerns surrounding issues of liability. Because the Skaha Bluffs are on Crown-owned land, there is a limitation of liability for the provincial government.

A government spokesman says under B.C. legislation, the province cannot be held liable to any person or entity for direct or indirect damage based on the use of parks. Those people using a B.C park must do so at their own risk and the government does not assume liability for an injury or death. This includes the climbing and hiking taking place at the bluffs. The legislation would not apply if someone was hurt while using a piece of man-made construction such as a bridge.

However, a liability policy would need to be drafted were the Skaha Bluffs to become a provincial park.
Bill Turner, executive director for The Land Conservancy, is involved in raising $1 million to buy a large parcel of land to provide climbers with permanent access to the bluffs. It will not play any part in owning or operating the climbing area.
When the site began growing in popularity in the early 1990s, climbers were allowed access to the bluffs through an adjacent property owned by Hugh Dunlop.

Turner believes people must assume the known risks associated with an adventure-type sport like rock climbing.

"Everybody knows, essentially that climbing does bring with it some risk," he said. "That’s one of the reasons why people do it."

He believes the only alternative for those not wanting to assume the dangers associated with rock climbing would be not to climb at all.

"Obviously we’re deeply concerned that somebody died there," said Turner noting once The Land Conservancy can secure an access point hopefully the public will take responsibility for its own actions.

Babolious

Sep 21, 2007, 4:33 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zoochy] fatality at Skaha bluffs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is some info that I dug up from ClubTread Community Forum:

"Yes, Caroline was a climbing gym member at Cliffhanger. You may have known her, as she was a regular. As well, contrary to what was posted in the paper and the internet, she was an extremely experienced climber, climbing more than 15 years with caution and safety always. She was not at all impulsive or a dare devil, she always climbed within her ability. I'm still not entirely sure what happened up there, i've heard many stories, I guess we will never really know, but all I know is that in a split second, this tragedy changed the lives of her husband, her family and her friends forever. You never can be too careful, as unfortunate tragic accidents like this happen, despite all the odds."
In reply to:

"I heard from an unconfirmed source the cause of the accident.
She was about to rappel down the face using a standard ATC device.
She put both ropes thru the ATC but for some reason, only one of the ropes was looped/locked into the carabiner on her harness. ie. the other rope was not locked/looped thru, it was loose. She did not have a prussik backup on her rappel set up. When she began descending and put tension on, the loose rope instantly popped out, resulting in "nothing" holding her up except rope drag thru the anchor.
Very sad.
It goes to show you that even the most routine procedures (rappelling) can still be deadly. Just one second of inattentiveness."

I feel sick inside when I read about her death. | can see how her mistake could be done by almost anyone. We almost never use a prusik these days. To test our rappels, we keep ourselves clipped into the anchor while leaning back hard against the rappel device. It's important to ensure that the sling attached to the anchor is slack so that the rappel device receives the full weight test. Once tested and found to hold, then we unclip from the anchor. I'm assuming this is common practice.

(This post was edited by Babolious on Sep 21, 2007, 4:38 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook