Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
milton
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

andy64

Jul 12, 2007, 3:30 AM
Post #1 of 7 (6549 views)
Shortcut

milton  (North_America: Canada: Ontario)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I need some info on climbing rattlesnake point for guidebooks, area campgrounds etc.

thank-you

morlebeke

Jul 12, 2007, 6:30 AM
Post #2 of 7 (6516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andy64] milton [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a guidebook that seems pretty good, though haven't put it to a big test at all, just have done recon work with it at rattlesnake and mt. nemo. I got it at mountain equipment co-op in toronto, web site: mec.ca the book is not on the web site, I went there in person, but you could probably get a book over the phone.

book name is niagara escarpment or something like that. don't have it with me now, so I don't know the author either. It's got climbs from bouldering near niagara falls up through the Bruce peninsula that splits lake huron and georgian bay. MEC in toronto is close to downtown, more than an hour from rattlesnake but I'd doubt more than an hour and a half. rattlesnake is busy, TR only. summer will probably bitch hot, mt. nemo faces north so should be cooler this time of year, significantly. Nemo has a few sport routes scattered in, mostly trad.

you'll get booted if you try to TR off the white cedars in the area too, these things look scrubby but are upwards of 1000 years old, so bring a ton of webbing to anchor to other features.

rattlesnake has group campsites, $7/person/day (I'll be there 8/10 weekend), and I think kelso has individual camping. All under the Halton conservation authority:
http://www.conservationhalton.on.ca/

good luck!

andy64

Jul 12, 2007, 2:13 PM
Post #3 of 7 (6478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [morlebeke] milton [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank-you, I plan to go there this summer, not sure when. I see you are from MI. Where? Do you climb at Grand Ledge?

granite_grrl

Jul 16, 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #4 of 7 (6445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andy64 wrote:
Thank-you, I plan to go there this summer, not sure when. I see you are from MI. Where? Do you climb at Grand Ledge?

If you have any other options I would skip climbing at the Milton crags. Hot in the summer, overused and greasy, loose rock in many areas, etc. But its rock, and when you need your fix it'll do.

Guide book sucks balls, old and out of date without topos for the milton crags....but its the only one out there.

I have no comments on the camping, best to call around to find out.

guccipiggy

Jul 16, 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #5 of 7 (6429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] milton [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Awww grrl, it ain't all that bad.
And what does this say about people trying to learn trad in Milton limestone?
True about the guidebook. Whatever you get here on RC.com is copied from the guidebook so don't bother buying the guidebook.

Glad to hear you are on the mend by the way.

granite_grrl

Jul 17, 2007, 7:09 AM
Post #6 of 7 (6402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guccipiggy] milton [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You got me, I'm a bitter, on the mend, ex-excarpment trad climber. But I've always had the opionion that there are better places to travel to to climb than around here.

And learning trad on the escarpment? It'll give you balls, but its much, much safer to trad climb at the Gunks....and a lot more fun!

Mmmmm......Gunks.....

garreah

Jul 19, 2007, 5:06 AM
Post #7 of 7 (6352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just thought I might reply to this tread - anyone climbing at nemo this summer?, just moved to town, looking to check out local crags - also available to travel a bit (northern escarpment?) solid moderate safe climber

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook