Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
Off to Pakistan...countdown.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All


alpinestar


Jul 16, 2007, 6:26 AM
Post #1 of 41 (3649 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 10, 2004
Posts: 66

Off to Pakistan...countdown.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So in one week me and my climbing partner are leaving for Pakistan to try to climg Buni Zom 6500 via a new route. Cool Cool

But the latest tension in the country has really got me thinking about the trip. At the moment I am more worried about the trip to and from the mountain! PirateUnsure

On one hand the tour operator we are using down there say it is all blow out of por-portion, on the other hand the goverment recomends to abandon unnessary trips to pakistan...

Why cant the world just be peacefull? Angelic

M


coastal_climber


Jul 16, 2007, 7:28 AM
Post #2 of 41 (3632 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 16, 2006
Posts: 2542

Re: [alpinestar] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So you can just "catch" a flight to Pakistan?Crazy

>Cam


alpinestar


Jul 16, 2007, 7:31 AM
Post #3 of 41 (3627 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 10, 2004
Posts: 66

Re: [coastal_climber] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ehh Yes British Airways fly london -> Islamabad several times a week!


Basta916


Jul 16, 2007, 7:36 AM
Post #4 of 41 (3620 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2007
Posts: 311

Re: [alpinestar] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

good luck with that...and make sure to bring plenty Danish cartoons with you ( for a hand outs )they love them over thereCrazy


alpinestar


Jul 16, 2007, 7:41 AM
Post #5 of 41 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 10, 2004
Posts: 66

Re: [Basta916] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

thanks! Ha ha..think we will keep a very low profile! no flags or anything! CrazyCrazy


ClusterFock


Jul 16, 2007, 7:57 AM
Post #6 of 41 (3605 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 28, 2007
Posts: 95

Re: [alpinestar] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's perfectly safe. Just use common sense and don't stick out like dogs bollocks.

Most of all...enjoy.


anykineclimb


Jul 16, 2007, 7:57 AM
Post #7 of 41 (3605 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 29, 2003
Posts: 3593

Re: [alpinestar] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what outfitter are you going with? We used Nazir Sabir two years ago and they were fantastic.

BTW, once you get out of I-Bad, things are fine.


trebork2
Deleted

Jul 16, 2007, 4:51 PM
Post #8 of 41 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Registered:
Posts:

Re: [alpinestar] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would be canceling and heading somewhere else. Pakistan is no joke! Give it a few years to calm down. Go play in Alaska or head down to the Andes. I'd rather be there then in the hands of a bad country or some terrorist. But it's your choice. Believe it or not the government knows what they are talking about it.


majid_sabet


Jul 16, 2007, 5:03 PM
Post #9 of 41 (3563 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8390

Re: [trebork2] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ohh You are going to love it but why 6500 meter ?

Low on cash ?


hacksaw


Jul 16, 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #10 of 41 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 21, 2004
Posts: 169

Re: [majid_sabet] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Come home with all your fingers and toes... And friends with all you partners. That is the most important part....


alpinestar


Jul 16, 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #11 of 41 (3524 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 10, 2004
Posts: 66

Re: [hacksaw] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

@anykineclimb Ashgar at jasminetours.com has been very helpfull and have come up with a good package for us.

@majid_sabet well me and my climbing partner only have 3 weeks off, no more. So we figured trying out for something higher was not really a option. Especially as we both wanted something technical. So this seems perfect, mountains has only had 3 acents, and the possibility of opening up a new route is also very nice Cool


rc_vinay


Jul 17, 2007, 3:50 AM
Post #12 of 41 (3501 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 8, 2005
Posts: 154

Re: [trebork2] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

trebork2 wrote:
I would be canceling and heading somewhere else. Pakistan is no joke! Give it a few years to calm down. Go play in Alaska or head down to the Andes. I'd rather be there then in the hands of a bad country or some terrorist. But it's your choice. Believe it or not the government knows what they are talking about it.

how about himalayas...?







crackers


Jul 18, 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #13 of 41 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 20, 2005
Posts: 416

Re: [alpinestar] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

alpinestar wrote:
But the latest tension in the country has really got me thinking about the trip. At the moment I am more worried about the trip to and from the mountain! PirateUnsure

Look. There are people who are comfortable in interesting times and places and those that aren't.

I'd go. But that's me. I've spent plenty of time in places that go far past interesting on the old hell scale, and I am pretty comfortable dealing with dodgy situations.

You need to make your choice yourself.

It's not like you're going to the T.A. I know that a number of canadian and american climbers are still going over. In fact, I'd say it's more important than ever to be present.

Shit happens. I hope it doesn't happen to you, but you can get hit by a taxi in front of your house, hit by a bike on the way to work or shot in your tent.

have fun!


crackers


Jul 18, 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #14 of 41 (3413 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 20, 2005
Posts: 416

Re: [trebork2] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

trebork2 wrote:
Believe it or not the government knows what they are talking about it.

You know, after spending the majority of the past ten years in the middle east, caucasus and central asia, I have to say that us state department briefings are somewhere between worthless and annoying. I've never seen one reflect reality.

Maybe this could be the first time, but my personal and professional experience leads me to believe otherwise.


majid_sabet


Jul 18, 2007, 12:18 PM
Post #15 of 41 (3402 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8390

Re: [alpinestar] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

alpinestar wrote:
@anykineclimb Ashgar at jasminetours.com has been very helpfull and have come up with a good package for us.

@majid_sabet well me and my climbing partner only have 3 weeks off, no more. So we figured trying out for something higher was not really a option. Especially as we both wanted something technical. So this seems perfect, mountains has only had 3 acents, and the possibility of opening up a new route is also very nice Cool

I was close to do Broadpeak in 2000 but somehow ended in nepal in 2002 doing few 6000+. I love to go back to Pakistan and try to do one of Gs or Broadpeak.


peas


Jul 19, 2007, 5:57 PM
Post #16 of 41 (3369 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 30, 2002
Posts: 400

Re: [alpinestar] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a some friends in Pakistan and they were in Islamabad when the Red Mosque stuff happened. From their blog posts, they didn't notice much happening until they heard reports on it. Check out the blogs if you're interested.

http://ikhattakarna2007.blogspot.com/

http://www.latoks07.blogspot.com/


alpinestar


Aug 12, 2007, 11:20 PM
Post #17 of 41 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 10, 2004
Posts: 66

Re: [peas] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So now I am back from Pakistan. No problems at all. Such nice people there! Unfortunately a greek team, with whom we shared base camp with had a fatal accident. We tried to help recover the body, but did not manage to find it. He slid about 200 meter down a 45 degrees ice slope, and out over a area with lots of crevasses. They where at the second to last rap, and instead of cliping into the ice screw anchor he just planted his axe, and cliped in to that. The axe then poped. Aster this the local police wanted everybody off the mountain, we tried to talk to them, but it did not matter, they wanted everybody down. We where perfectly acclimatized to about 5000 and ready to rock when it happed. Bummer :(

But I will have to go back! Lots of un climed peaks, and new routes Cool


Basta916


Aug 13, 2007, 6:07 AM
Post #18 of 41 (3233 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2007
Posts: 311

Re: [alpinestar] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

glad You are back....Now You can practise for a second trip on unclimbed Danish peaksTongue


KETU


Aug 17, 2008, 7:18 AM
Post #19 of 41 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 17, 2008
Posts: 54

Re: [alpinestar] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Glad you made it back from the bad, rouge and terrorist country.


sungam


Aug 17, 2008, 8:05 AM
Post #20 of 41 (2946 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26800

Re: [KETU] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Are you just taking IRD too far? It's just meant to be those 20 threads...


kachoong


Aug 17, 2008, 6:42 PM
Post #21 of 41 (2919 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 15304

Re: [KETU] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

KETU wrote:
Glad you made it back from the bad, rouge and terrorist country.

Bitter much?


summerprophet


Aug 17, 2008, 8:30 PM
Post #22 of 41 (2898 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 16, 2004
Posts: 764

Re: [KETU] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dude, you just had a TEXAN imply you had gone overboard with that statement. Might wanna take that into consideration.

Seriously though, remember that 99% of the people in these countries are just like us, just looking to feed their families, watch their kids grow up and lead a peaceful life outside of the politics and warmongering that is so prevelent in the news.

Saying all Pakistanies are bad, rogues, or terrorists is roughly equivalent to saying all americans are Amish.


jt512


Aug 17, 2008, 9:47 PM
Post #23 of 41 (2873 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21904

Re: [summerprophet] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

summerprophet wrote:
99% of the people in these countries are just like us, just looking to feed their families, watch their kids grow up and lead a peaceful life outside of the politics and warmongering that is so prevelent in the news....
Saying all Pakistanies are bad, rogues, or terrorists is roughly equivalent to saying all americans are Amish.

Totally naive. Consider:

Percentage of Pakistani Muslims who believe that suicide bombings are justified: 29%*

Percentage of American Amish who belief that suicide bombings are justified: 0%**

*2005 Pew Global Attitudes Project.
** 2008 jt512 hunch.

Jay


anykineclimb


Aug 17, 2008, 10:08 PM
Post #24 of 41 (2862 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 29, 2003
Posts: 3593

Re: [jt512] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
summerprophet wrote:
99% of the people in these countries are just like us, just looking to feed their families, watch their kids grow up and lead a peaceful life outside of the politics and warmongering that is so prevelent in the news....
Saying all Pakistanies are bad, rogues, or terrorists is roughly equivalent to saying all americans are Amish.

Totally naive. Consider:

Percentage of Pakistani Muslims who believe that suicide bombings are justified: 29%*

Percentage of American Amish who belief that suicide bombings are justified: 0%**

*2005 Pew Global Attitudes Project.
** 2008 jt512 hunch.

Jay

wow.

really. who's naive here?
you ever meet a Pakistani? IN Pakistan??
how about meet thier families? Parents? children?
The amount of ignorance here just amazes me.


jt512


Aug 17, 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #25 of 41 (2861 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21904

Re: [anykineclimb] Off to Pakistan...countdown. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anykineclimb wrote:
jt512 wrote:
summerprophet wrote:
99% of the people in these countries are just like us, just looking to feed their families, watch their kids grow up and lead a peaceful life outside of the politics and warmongering that is so prevelent in the news....
Saying all Pakistanies are bad, rogues, or terrorists is roughly equivalent to saying all americans are Amish.

Totally naive. Consider:

Percentage of Pakistani Muslims who believe that suicide bombings are justified: 29%*

Percentage of American Amish who belief that suicide bombings are justified: 0%**

*2005 Pew Global Attitudes Project.
** 2008 jt512 hunch.

Jay

wow.

really. who's naive here?
you ever meet a Pakistani? IN Pakistan??
how about meet thier families? Parents? children?
The amount of ignorance here just amazes me.

So, anecdotal evidence from meeting a few Pakistani families is more valid than a scientific survey conducted by the Pew Research Center? You, sir, are an idiot.

Edit: Obviously, the probability sample of 1225 interviews which comprised the Pew survey are no match for the fact that you're friends with some nice family in Pakistan.

In reply to:
Country: Pakistan
Company: ACNielsen Aftab
Sample design: Probability
Mode: Face-to-face adults 18 plus
Languages: Urdu
Fieldwork dates: May 2-24, 2005
Sample size: 1225
Margin of Error: 3%
Representative: Disproportionately urban

Jay


(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 17, 2008, 10:39 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook