Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
How do you know if one harness is better than another?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

mcfoley

Sep 24, 2002, 6:07 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2102 views)
Shortcut

How do you know if one harness is better than another?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ditto

paintinhaler

Sep 24, 2002, 6:24 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2102 views)
Shortcut

How do you know if one harness is better than another? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the ditto.

rck_climber

Sep 30, 2002, 4:58 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved to Gear Heads forum.

I agree with the others, the price of a harness does not necesarily correspond with it's quality or comfort.

You need to decide what you're going to be doing in the harness (short sport routes, all day trad lines, big wall, aid, alpine?), then figure out what features you're looking for in that harness. Once you decide those things, just start trying on harnesses that fit your requirements until you find one you like.

All harnesses that are CE certified (and any other applicable certifications) are essentially equal as far as safety. From there, it's only a matter of features and comfort. Price doesn't always delineate good or bad, better or worse. You'll simply have to decide which is best for you.

Mick

djnibs

Oct 1, 2002, 12:11 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with everything that has been said. I almost wish now after spending $110 on a Corax (which i love), that i could've bought a less expensive harness that would do me the same. i just like fancy pancy things, so i spent too much money on a harness, now i don't have enough for other stuff comfort is number 1, then i would functionailty (i think thats how you spell it) and then price. if the harness is real comfortable, it has all the fetures you want/need, and the price is alright, i would say go for it. good luck and have fun!!

billcoe_

Oct 1, 2002, 7:43 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aww hell, in the old days, men were men and women rarely climbed. Men would buy the infamous "Willans Sit Harness". It's sole redeming feature being that it was a hell of a lot better than a swami belt (that's @ 18 feet of soft 2" webbing wrapped around your waist and tied with a water knot and would suffocate you if you hung on it too long).

Anyway, there was a strap that went right up underneath your bollacks on the Willians. That's correct sir: the soft dangly parts right there. So as I was saying: although men were men, and had balls of steel, there was not much upstairs if you know what I mean. And the Willians was the "Cadillac" of harnesses too.

So my advice is to avoid The Willians sit harness and go for comfort and price from any major mfg. You don't always get what you pay for though, as evidenced by the Willians harness. Not to worry, as the Willians has not been seen for at least as long as Don Willians has been gone. (He Died @10years ago?)

The advise above is good. If you plan on long hang time - get bigger, fluffier and softer. If you want ease of use and plan on climbing hard stuff, smaller, thinner and lighter is the way. If you screw up and get a big one instead of a small one or vise versa, you'll still have a serviceable harness. I'm partial to Petzel big soft and fluffies. I only buy them at REI when on sale ($59.99). I currently have a brand new one in my basement waiting for my current one to wear out. I will then use the worn one for toproping and the new one for leading until the toprope thing looks too bad when I will buy another new one and do the rotation again. The trashed one gets used for doing roofing jobs, misc construction and high up painting until I get too fat to fit in it when it is finally thrown in the trash can. I have thrown at least 5 or 6 in the trash so far, which means I get a new one every 5 or so years, and am additionally quite a bit fatter than I use to be. If you climb more than I (I focus on being a good father and climbing is secondary so I really don't get out all that much) you will need to replace it sooner.

Anything you use short of an old dog leash wrapped around your waist will beat a swami or a Willians.

Regards:

Bill

[ This Message was edited by: billcoe_ on 2002-10-01 12:49 ]

basecamp_junkie

Oct 1, 2002, 8:39 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are plenty of great harnesses that can be found for under 50 dollars... some even under 40. I have a black diamond bod harness, and I absolutely LOVE it. I think I only paid $37 for it on sale (not the alpine model either)

no_limit

Oct 1, 2002, 8:42 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, the bod is a great beginner harness. I have one and it works great, was cheap, is easy to use, and has alot of gear loops. It is also pretty comfy.

no_limit

Oct 1, 2002, 8:42 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, the bod is a great beginner harness. I have one and it works great, was cheap, is easy to use, and has alot of gear loops. It is also pretty comfy.

petsfed

Oct 1, 2002, 9:16 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try on as many harnesses as possible. You're a beginner so chances are you will be spending an awful lot of time hanging in it and you don't want your boys, or your womanly parts if it applies here, getting thrashed. Once you know what harness you want, keep your eyes open for sales between picking the harness and pay day. There is no good reason to spend more than $70 american on a harness. None. I got my Petzl Corax for $68 during an REI opening sale (could've been better, but my brother, an REI employee, refuses to get me deals on climbing equipment). EMS has pretty good sales too, and don't forget your local mountain shops. Welcome aboard and remember: pain tolerance does not equate to skill.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook