Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

elepita

Apr 12, 2007, 9:49 AM
Post #1 of 38 (25506 views)
Shortcut

Does your period affect your climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

He ladies! I have a question for all of you: How does your period affect your climbing? If it does at all. Does it affect you positively or the opposite? In my case, it is not my period what affects me, but the week and a half before my period, I call it my pre-period...I feel clumpsy, not as strong physically or mentally ( I get more easily scared! even on routes that I have done before! Unsure), and also I am more prone to injury...if my tendoms are going to hurt, they will do it at that time. Now once I get my period everything is gone miraculously! Does anything similar to this happen to you? Cheers! Sly

(This post was edited by elepita on Apr 12, 2007, 9:50 AM)

rushgirl

Apr 12, 2007, 5:28 PM
Post #2 of 38 (25481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elepita] Does your period affect your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that climbing helps to get my mind off my period. But when you are bloated, wearing the harness can be less comfortable. If it is really bothering me, I might boulder instead.

acacongua

Apr 12, 2007, 5:29 PM
Post #3 of 38 (25481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, all that happens and it's especially worse at the onset of high temperatures. You just gotta ride it out.

granite_grrl

Apr 12, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #4 of 38 (25478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] Does your period affect your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

About 3 days before my period my motivation goes through the floor. Don't know if I'm actually more tired and weak, or if its just in my head, but its hard for me to get going.

Rocknovice

Apr 12, 2007, 7:32 PM
Post #5 of 38 (25463 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Does your period affect your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you need birth control and take the pill, you may want to talk to your MD about taking the pill for 3 months at a time with no break and only having 4 periods a year. You do not need an expensive, name brand pill to do this. You just don't take a week off. I appreciate not having to deal with 12 a year. Sort of off topic but hope that helps someone else.

lena_chita

Apr 12, 2007, 7:43 PM
Post #6 of 38 (25460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

elepita wrote:
In my case, it is not my period what affects me, but the week and a half before my period, I call it my pre-period...I feel clumpsy, not as strong physically or mentally ( I get more easily scared! even on routes that I have done before! Unsure)
Now once I get my period everything is gone miraculously! Does anything similar to this happen to you? Cheers! Sly

Yes, yes, on both counts.

I wouldn't say that it's a big effect, and some months are more noticeable than others. But it is definitely there.

The most weird thing for me was when I got my period back after giving birth. Since I was nursing, I enjoying a rather long time without Aunt Flow visits.

ANd then all of a sudden one day I was climbing and I had a panic attack. Seriously, I was so scared, I literally froze. I was top-roping in a gym-- as safe as you get, but the rope was slightly behind me, so if I were to say "take" and let go of the wall, I would have swung maybe couple feet. I couldn't let go. I couldn't climb up or down, I was just clinging to the wall... It took some time to get my nerves under control. Rather embarrassing.

I couldn't figure out what happened to me. I am not exactly prone to panic attacks... never had them before or after... But almost two weeks after that episode I got my first (whammy) perriod in over 2 years-- and I'm convinced that one was related to the other.

climberterp

Apr 16, 2007, 6:10 PM
Post #7 of 38 (25357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Does your period affect your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely get the klutziness and weakness sometimes right before my period, it's very annoying! That can have a big effect on my climbing for sure. I've had some pretty crazy emotional PMS issues lately, luckily not every month otherwise I think I'd check myself into some kind of treatment facility! Makes for a very sucky trad leading experience.

lmcwil

Apr 16, 2007, 9:00 PM
Post #8 of 38 (25351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've had a really tough time climbing sometimes when i'm on my period, because i definitely feel weaker. This is what i refer to as "not having a strong climbing day." I think some of my male climbing partners have figured out that this is code for "on my period"

Back when i used to get really bad cramps, there was one time i recall when I was TR'ing something above my level, and got seized w/ really bad pain, had to lower off and spent the next half-hour lying on my stomach on a rock.

HOWEVER, that said, last time i climbed at that time of the month, i ended up leading something that i'd always had a very tough time TR'ing, b/c a guy in the group got pumped and couldn't finish the lead (he left gear up on the wall, so somebody had to go retrieve it). I was really glad i stepped up to the plate that day.

SO... the moral of the story is, (for me, at least) don't hold back because you feel you're having a "not strong climbing day"

i think some of our best climbing happens when we (i mean climbers in general) feel weak, because we compensate for it by trying extra hard.

burrito

Apr 17, 2007, 6:03 PM
Post #9 of 38 (25330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lmcwil] Does your period affect your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I honestly feel like a different climber during PMS. I'm unfocused, jittery, easily frustrated/scared, and just generally off.

I'm sure stategies differ for each individual, but recently I've found out that what helps me the most is taking a break from leading and switching to bouldering. I don't mean to offend any boulderers out there by implying that it's somehow "easier" than climbing -- that's not what I'm saying. All I mean is that, for whatever reason, it's an activity that allows me to regain my focus and my confidence, and still get a good workout even if I've given up on climbing for the day. And I'm really not a boulderer, so this surprised me when I figured out that it worked.

In any event, I'm sure this isn't the universal cure, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Smile

debsanders

Apr 20, 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #10 of 38 (25274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [burrito] Does your period affect your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i think i posted this same question several years ago . . .

for me i am stronger right before i start, but i am 46 and it could be i have some hormone testosterone thing going on

during my period due to flow i sometimes can't climb at all - too many trips to the bathroom or behind the rock. my poor partners, my poor son Blush

getting older has benefits!

bitchslabbin

May 10, 2007, 6:25 PM
Post #11 of 38 (24967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, but add vertigo on that list.

clausti

May 11, 2007, 2:06 AM
Post #12 of 38 (24953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, becuase birth control makes me gain weight.

also, i feel like i'm more risk averse when i'm PMSing.

dalguard

Jun 5, 2007, 5:34 PM
Post #13 of 38 (24790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not that I've noticed.

caughtinside

Jun 6, 2007, 5:18 AM
Post #14 of 38 (24756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes.

I'm always looking for a new excuse.

My partners seem to be getting wise to 'the sun was in my eyes.'

justthemaid

Jun 6, 2007, 4:05 PM
Post #15 of 38 (24729 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Does your period affect your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So you admit you have periods? ^^^

We've long suspected.

caughtinside

Jun 6, 2007, 4:18 PM
Post #16 of 38 (24726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justthemaid] Does your period affect your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justthemaid wrote:
So you admit you have periods? ^^^

We've long suspected.

Yes. I regularly enjoy periods of uninhibited brilliance, hard climbing, and total flailing.

Thanks for your interest.

elepita

Jul 16, 2007, 7:37 AM
Post #17 of 38 (24494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Does your period affect your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

man just one month ago...of course right after ``itīī I climbed so f well...and ``itīī came and what happened? flailed, struggled, fell on a 5. easy (does the grade really matter?)..and of course finally cried...how horrible...

Crazy_Shizzle

Jul 16, 2007, 7:57 AM
Post #18 of 38 (24493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rocknovice] Does your period affect your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rocknovice wrote:
If you need birth control and take the pill, you may want to talk to your MD about taking the pill for 3 months at a time with no break and only having 4 periods a year. You do not need an expensive, name brand pill to do this. You just don't take a week off. I appreciate not having to deal with 12 a year. Sort of off topic but hope that helps someone else.

Maaannnn, isn't this not healthy? It's only natural that a woman has to "throw away" that egg cell of hers and everything else inside the uterus....it REALLY doesn't sound healthy at all to have just 3 periods in a year than 12.

Anyways, I've been climbing for a short period and haven't really thought about my periods affecting my climbing. I do have bad climbing days, so I'll just focus to see if that's the reason. Sure would be glad to find out it's because of the PMS Smile

What I figured out from the posts: you climb when you have your periods? I don't, that's my week of relaxation (especially 'cause I climb for recreation so loosing strength doesn't bother me). Can't imagine climbing with the eaky feeling during my period Crazy

acacongua

Jul 16, 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #19 of 38 (24484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Crazy_Shizzle] Does your period affect your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Crazy_Shizzle wrote:

Maaannnn, isn't this not healthy? It's only natural that a woman has to "throw away" that egg cell of hers and everything else inside the uterus....it REALLY doesn't sound healthy at all to have just 3 periods in a year than 12.
It's debatable. We're not designed to have periods every month for many years in a row. We're designed to have babies, which halts those periods. That's why the chances of ovarian cancer reduce with childbirth.

However, we have the choice to ignore that design. Wink

(This post was edited by acacongua on Jul 16, 2007, 11:06 PM)

Crazy_Shizzle

Jul 16, 2007, 9:38 PM
Post #20 of 38 (24464 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] Does your period affect your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And what, in that one period in
In reply to:
every three months we throw away three egg cells instead, that have been waiting there, and three times the blood that has made layers and layers within? Tongue

clausti

Jul 16, 2007, 9:53 PM
Post #21 of 38 (24463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crazy_Shizzle wrote:
And what, in that one period in
In reply to:
every three months we throw away three egg cells instead, that have been waiting there, and three times the blood that has made layers and layers within? Tongue

no. when you are on a birth control pill, you do not acutally have a "period" in the sense of flushing the unimplanted egg, ect from the uterus. assuming you are taking the pill correctly, you do not ovulate, at all. what you experiance is a "withdrawal bleed" where what lining your uterus does have is shed, however, this lining will never get as big as a normal, unregulated endometrium.

SOME pills are a lot easier to skip your period with than others. the short of it is that the monophasic pills (three weeks of one color, period week of a different color) are the best/easiest, since your body just gets the same amount of hormones all the time. triphasic pills (four different colored rows) are more associated with irregular bleeding because the pill leads your body through a cycle and by discarding the period week pills, you chop off part of the cycle.

i am not a doctor; this is not doctor advice, but reading the drug information that comes with the prescription and some basic research would reveal these details to anyone.

Rocknovice

Jul 17, 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #22 of 38 (24448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crazy_Shizzle wrote:
Rocknovice wrote:

Anyways, I've been climbing for a short period and haven't really thought about my periods affecting my climbing. I do have bad climbing days, so I'll just focus to see if that's the reason. Sure would be glad to find out it's because of the PMS Smile

What I figured out from the posts: you climb when you have your periods? I don't, that's my week of relaxation (especially 'cause I climb for recreation so loosing strength doesn't bother me). Can't imagine climbing with the eaky feeling during my period Crazy

Here is an article that may be helpful. I just take my pill packs back to back. I look forward to never having a regular period again. I am also done having kids so fertility is not an issue.

http://www.webmd.com/...ol-pill-may-help-pms

(This post was edited by Rocknovice on Jul 17, 2007, 10:47 AM)

elepita

Jul 19, 2007, 8:13 AM
Post #23 of 38 (24397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rocknovice] Does your period affect your climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does any of you know if taking birth control pill hals control PMS? I go through major caracter changes and depression the week before my period. It really affects me, my SO and everything I do including my climbing performance. When I am going through it I know what it is but it is very difficult to control, it is as if I did not have control over my own emotions and reactions (well, not as if, it is like that really). So I am wondering if there is anything you girls do that you could share. I have been reluctant until now to taking the borth control pill because some gilrs have told me that it makes you gain weight, that it makes your breatss grow bigger, and I donīt want this to happen to me. Is there any pill out there that doesnīt produce those effects and helps with PMS? Thanks!

acacongua

Jul 19, 2007, 2:14 PM
Post #24 of 38 (24383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Elepita:

Yaz may be the answer for you. It treats PMDD and in my experience, I lost weight (water though).

If you take it, I strongly recommend taking it at night. Taken in the morning, you might be really tired all day.

(This post was edited by acacongua on Jul 19, 2007, 8:24 PM)

RABclimbon

Mar 30, 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #25 of 38 (24016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone purposely take birth control so they can surpress their periods and thereby climb more? I am considering taking hormonal birth control so I can spend a few weekends on climbing trips that would otherwise be very badly timed to coinside with my period. Peeing behind rocks and changing tampons is not on my list of fav activities but I love weekend climbing/camping trips.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook