RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

andy_lemon

Oct 2, 2002, 4:13 AM
Post #1 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently purchased a roll of slide film at the local camera shop and took some great climbing shots with it. Not realising the price of development I took it to the local 1 hour photo and was told they could not develope slide film. After further questioning I am told that it is $5 per print for slide film.

PLEASE HELP

eric

Oct 2, 2002, 4:37 AM
Post #2 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you want prints from the slides? It will be a bit more, but $5/frame is outrageous. Well, that depends on how they do it, of course.

Just development should be between $4-12 per roll of 36 exposures. You can then get high quality scans for ~$1/frame or "web" scans for much less. Or borrow a film scanner and do it for free. With a digital file you can get very good prints on any recent inkjet.

What are you going to do with the pics? Do you want print or digital?

jmlangford

Oct 2, 2002, 4:59 AM
Post #3 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Andy...I send all of my slides toThe Slideprinter for prints. They are very reasonable and they do fantastic work, especially on the larger prints. They also develop slide film cheaply but if you want it back faster just go to your local drug store and send it out to Kodak through them. I get slides back overnight from Kodak through Long's Drugs and it is about $7.50 for 36 ex.

The prices on the above 'prints from slides' link are: 4x6-$1.20, 5x7-2.25, 8x12/10-5.50, 11x16/14-9.00, and 16x24/20-35.00. Those prices include shipping as they will send you post-paid mailers. The developing is $6/24 ex. and $7/36 ex.

andy_lemon

Oct 2, 2002, 6:12 AM
Post #4 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So I should have slides developed before I get prints? What is this slide scanner? Where can I find one? Interesting stuff, yet expensive.

kriso9tails

Oct 2, 2002, 2:35 PM
Post #5 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:So I should have slides developed before I get prints?

You generally have to develop film before you make a print ( ), but slides are a finished product in themselves. You get the slides, pick the ones you like and if you want prints you get them printed. You pay to get the transparencies themselves, not prints, unless you need/ want them, and then that's a seperate product so seperate cost.

35mm slide scanners start at around $500 (Cnd) to buy (I believe), and the prices skyrocket from there for better quality (of course), but they can be scanned at many labs. Just shop around because many places charge rediculous prices to buy their cd on top of the charge for scanning. They also charge more in some places if you don't have them scanned right after they're developed, plus keep in mind that you'll need photo-quality printer/ paper to print the image on you pc.

[ This Message was edited by: kriso9tails on 2002-10-15 10:39 ]

dsafanda

Oct 2, 2002, 2:52 PM
Post #6 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As said above, the cost of processing a roll of slide film usually averages only about $8-10. Most people who shoot slide film(myself included) do not plan on getting a print made of every frame. Far from it...I'm lucky if I get more than 2 per roll that I think are worthy of printing.

tradguy

Oct 2, 2002, 2:59 PM
Post #7 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get the slides developed first. Most likely, you'll need E-6 color slide processing. Most "local" places I've ever been charge $9 for a 36-exp roll, with a turn around time of 2 days. There are send-away services that take about 2 weeks and cost about $4 for 36-exp (via pre-paid mailer), but they mount in cardboard instead of plastic. Check out B&H Photo for deals on processing (and film!). If you take the film to a local shop for processing, they will typically charge you about $10 extra to have the slides roll-scanned and burned on photo CD. The scanning is done after the flim is developed, but before it is cut and mounted, so it costs less than having the scans done after the processing. High quality post-processing scans usually run about $1.50 each at a custom photo lab.

My recommendation, if you are trying to go about it cheaply, is to process the film, look at the slides through a projector, and pick out the best shots, then have those printed to 8x12, or HQ scan, depending on what format (digital vs print) you want them displayed.

krillen

Oct 15, 2002, 4:57 PM
Post #8 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The cost is one reason people shoot slide film. Because it's pretty cheap (~$10/36 exp.) you can shoot more and having a better chance of shooting something really nice.

As was said above, you would usually only get one or two shots processed out of a roll anyway.

My question to everybody is, what do you prints look like blown up (8x10ish)? Anyone's I've seen are blurry or grainy, but the mags have these great velvety full colour shots. Jody says his come out nice, anyone else?

tradguy

Oct 15, 2002, 5:24 PM
Post #9 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine have always come out nice when I use good film (Fuji Velvia). I typically have them printed to 8x12, done cheaply at the local photoshop with an inter-negative (ie they make a negative from the slide and then make the print from the negative). The shots in the climbing mags are high resolution scans of the slides that are stored digitally and then printed with the magazine - which is partly why they look so good (also, they are extremely selective with the photos they choose to print).

There are photo labs that can scan slides and make prints, but that is usually more expensive. Also, I've heard of places that can make prints directly from the slides, called Ilfochrome, but it too is much more expensive. I've never done it myself, but know people who have and they've been very happy with the results.

eightdirtypaws

Oct 15, 2002, 5:59 PM
Post #10 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Blurry prints from slides?? This is strange !

I shoot slide film almost exclusively and rarely have prints made from every frame. I find that Velvia and Kodak EV slide film are wonderful for landscapes, climbing, etc.

It should be remembered that slide film does not have near the exposure latitude that print film has, so more care must be taken when shooting with slide film. I use a Nikon F5 and scan my slides with a Nikon film scanner. I'll then print with an Epson 1280 on various papers. I've made 11X14 prints from slides that are tack sharp, even given the limitations of the printer.

If you are getting blurry enlargements, it's more than likely caused by the photographer or the printer when they are making the internegative. I would check some of your slides out on a light table, find some nice sharp ones, and try a couple different labs to find which ones you like the best. I can recommend Dale Laboratories as I've sent stuff to them before. They do nice work and you can find them on the web.

Keep shooting,
pAwS

climbnphotog

Oct 30, 2002, 5:12 PM
Post #11 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I always shoot slide film and can say that prints directly from slides, NOT scanned, are the finest quality that's available and that I have seen ....But it is VERY expensive. A 5X7 custom chrome print from a pro lab will lighten your wallet by about $15. Awesome detail & color, it's worth it at least once with your BEST shot...one you'll frame!!!

climbincajun

Oct 30, 2002, 5:24 PM
Post #12 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

on the subject of slides, I have several hundred slides i have taken all over the world and want to get them scanned to cd. if they were ever destroyed, i would have backup...
i realize two options are to pay to have them scanned to cd ($$$), or to find equipment and do it myself. for the sake of $, i plan to do this, though it will probably take weeks!

my question is regarding the parameters for scanning slides. what resolution, size, etc should i use for a good, manageable image in the final product (CD)

any input?

cyberclimber

Oct 30, 2002, 5:55 PM
Post #13 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbincajun,

The size and resolution you scan your slides at depends on what your final use will be. If you only plan to use the images for web use then 5 x7 @150 dpi gives you enough that you can crop down to 50% and still have enough image for most web uses. If you think you will ever want to print from it, then I would recommend 8 x 10 @300 dpi TIFF or even larger if you have a good scanner. At that size (about 20 mg) you can get about 35 images onto a 700 mg CD-R. Remember that CD-Rs are really cheap and that it is always better to have more res than you need than to ever not have enough.

taorock

Oct 30, 2002, 6:02 PM
Post #14 of 14 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Slide film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbincajun,

I have hundreds of slides too. One idea that I've had is to get three or four people together with the same situation, form a club, and pool resources to purchase a good quality slide and negative scanner.

Any thoughts on this?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook