RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

northfacejmb

Jul 21, 2007, 3:09 PM
Post #1 of 19 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Nicros or Synrock
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have alot of begenners climbing my wall so I need some super positive roof holds. I'm looking at the roof set 2 from nicros, and both of the synrock roof sets.
Nicros

Synrock

Which one would you choose?

dlintz

Jul 21, 2007, 3:28 PM
Post #2 of 19 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [northfacejmb] Nicros or Synrock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know much about the Synrock jugs (I have a set of the cobbles). What is your wall made out of? Synrocks are a little tricky on highly textured walls.
The Nicros pinch hold (at 11 o'clock in the pic) is definitely not a jug. The rest of the holds in that set are big and noob friendly. Cool

d.

Valarc

Jul 21, 2007, 3:37 PM
Post #3 of 19 (2460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go with the synrock, personally. Plastic holds are a dime a dozen, but the texture of synrock really does feel significantly different. Maybe a grippy real sandstone texture isn't as important with a roof jug as it is with a sloper, but I still love the feel of synrock on my hands.

If you've never used synrock before, I'd try them just to feel the texture for yourself. As far as breaking the holds, Jim, the guy in charge of synrock, has started making some of his synrock holds with metal embedded in them to give them more strength. You might want to email him and ask him if he does this with the roof holds, or if he even feels it necessary. I have some of his metal-reinforced holds on a textured concrete wall and they seem pretty bomber to me.

SkaFreak

Jul 21, 2007, 3:38 PM
Post #4 of 19 (2460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coming from a noob, those Nicros do look very noob friendly and more similar to the stuff that we have on the easier parts of the bouldering cave at my college. Both look positive enough that they should be as easy as it will get.

northfacejmb

Jul 21, 2007, 7:01 PM
Post #5 of 19 (2424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Nicros or Synrock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My wall is painted plywood with a bit of sand. I already have a set of Synrock buckets and I love them. The synrock ones are also $16 cheaper and come with two more holds. But again the Nicros holds look much more positive.

localshredder

Jul 21, 2007, 8:44 PM
Post #6 of 19 (2406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

E-grips makes the best roof jugs around. Super big with just enough texture so your skin doesn't hurt too bad after a session. Check 'em out.

jh_angel

Jul 21, 2007, 9:00 PM
Post #7 of 19 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gym I set in has a 25' roof in it and I use those Nicros holds on a regular basis. As stated in the above post the E-grips hold also rock. Also not to be missed are Morganics holds which can be found at climbingholds.com.

northfacejmb

Jul 21, 2007, 9:13 PM
Post #8 of 19 (2391 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jh_angel] Nicros or Synrock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of e-grips jugs don't apear to be very positve relative to the Nicros or Synrock holds, and the few that look super positive are quite expensive.

HarklessDO

Jul 22, 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #9 of 19 (2360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have both of the synrock sets pictured. I love both of them. These are very noob friendly. The shape is very easy on the hands and the texture of synrock can not be beat. Set A is much more positive. though.
In set B the roof shoe is great for starting into a horizontal roof but after that it is a foot hold. But would be bomber on any other angle. The one below going clockwise is a super deep two finger but no full hand. The balls hold there is one of my favorites. It is so comfy to the hands. It is not really a full on roof if you are hanging horizontal but I have it on my roof section.
But if you are looking to make a wall noob friendly synrock is the way to go. When I have noobs on my wall I know they all comment that there hands don't hurt afterwards and I know that is do to using synrock. And Jim is great to deal with. Plus if there are types of holds you are looking for say some handle type holds let him know. There are alot he has that are not on the website.

northfacejmb

Jul 22, 2007, 5:54 PM
Post #10 of 19 (2338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HarklessDO] Nicros or Synrock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Could your roof be noob climbable with the Synrock holds?

HarklessDO

Jul 22, 2007, 7:15 PM
Post #11 of 19 (2327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The simple answer is yes. The long answer is you may to Jim (owner) what you are using the for and he may tell you to increase certain amounts of holds from that set in your order and to forget some of the roof holds. You may want to look into his giant roof hold though for Noobs this is great. And I don't mind it either. The comfort of the shapes will help noobs though be willing to pull on a roof.
A plastic company I do like is atomik. Much cheaper than nicros and I think just as good of quality or higher. You may want a mix of roof holds.

My roof is following the pitch of my carport so it all depends on length and and difficulty level for what you will need. If you would like a pick let me know I haven't posted a pic of the wall since I added some new sections.

northfacejmb

Jul 22, 2007, 7:44 PM
Post #12 of 19 (2322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds like a good wall, so yeah, a pic would be great if you don't mind

HarklessDO

Jul 23, 2007, 3:10 AM
Post #13 of 19 (2286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Added all the pics under my profile. So please check them out. My roof section pics I took laying on my back straight up at them.
Few words about the design I decided to do. I basically made a circle. I have an angled wall on the inside of my carport with mainly large holds to jugs. The outside wall is mainly crimpers, slopers, and tiny feet, (except the big jugs low for my daughter). You can get to both sides via the end pieces you can see on the pics. This gives you roughly 40 horizontal feet. Great for building endurance. The inner wall is 10' tall and the outer 8'. The roof is 8' wide and roughly 10' from one side of the carport to other. the flat wall on the opposite side you climb to is 8'x8'.
You should also notice there are two traverse sections so far.
Since my wife has not yelled to much about me building the last pic shows where I will be expanding more.

Any questions or comments welcome

karmaklimber

Jul 23, 2007, 5:35 AM
Post #14 of 19 (2269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out StoneAge Climbing Holds

www.stoneageclimbing.com

N_Oo_B

Jul 24, 2007, 5:06 AM
Post #15 of 19 (2230 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, nice wall Harkless.

I've looked at those same Nicros holds thinking I wanted them. I recently got a 40pc Synrock mini-roof set though and am REALLY happy with how they are.

I just opened them today and don't have any bolts/finished roof section of my wall yet.

How noob friendly are we talking about anyway? most the noob friends I have I drag out to 5.9-5.10b/c climbs on toprope.

HarklessDO

Jul 24, 2007, 1:14 PM
Post #16 of 19 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [N_Oo_B] Nicros or Synrock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the comment on the wall. I am very pleased with it. I want to texture paint the rest but haven't had time.
As for how noob friendly if they are doing 5.9-5.10 then you will be in great shape.
Tip on buying bolts if you are doing that separately try a company called enco. www.use-enco.com I think. You have to buy in bulk but is a great way to save money.
But I have to say I have not had a set that I have been displeased with. Half of the reason I keep adding sections is so that I can try more sets that synrock has. I really wanted to do an inset wall but convinced myself not to.
any questions I am happy to answer.

HarklessDO

Jul 24, 2007, 6:43 PM
Post #17 of 19 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rest of the photos of the wall are now up

lambone

Jul 26, 2007, 3:57 AM
Post #18 of 19 (2153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

synrock holds are heavy and chip a lot. nicros are lighter and chip a lot. both feel about the same to me.

I'd skip them both and go with Urathane.

N_Oo_B

Jul 26, 2007, 5:15 AM
Post #19 of 19 (2146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lambone] Nicros or Synrock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

^^Urathane advocator^^

But I have to agree about synrock. They do chip quite a bit around the contact surface with the wall. At least this has held true for all the smaller holds I have as well as 1 I saw in his gym that was xl size.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook