RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

mikitta

Jul 22, 2007, 12:58 AM
Post #1 of 13 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Singing Rock Blues on sale
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gear Express has them for $17.00. I'm thinking about getting one because I really do need it (my old bod was not salvageable and frankly, a swiss seat is too uncomfortable for all day climbing). This is going to be an interim harness for me as it likely will stop fitting in a few months as I drop weight. With luck, it will do through this year's climbing season and then next year I'll have been able to save up for a Petzl Luna or a Selena.

Total with the harness, a locking pear and an ATC along with some little book about knots (to get free shipping) will be $53.35 - which I thought was a pretty reasonable price for everything.

Question - has anyone here used a Singing Rock Blues harness? did you like it? Was it reasonably comfortable for mostly top roped problems and some multi pitch with hanging belays? Planning on a Seneca day this fall w/ my partners and the one guy who's done a lot of climbing there says there some hanging belays on the rout he wants us to do.

Thanks for your replies.

God Bless,
mik

alpinismo_flujo

Jul 23, 2007, 4:35 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikitta] Singing Rock Blues on sale [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the heads up...only $21 with shipping. I just ordered one - although don't know if it's any good, but for the price i think it'll be just fine!

climbinwv

Jul 23, 2007, 5:09 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1214 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel bad for the poor guy who has to drag you up a 5.5 @ Seneca. My advice is to just sit down at Harpers Front Porch gobbling pizza all day with a pair of binoculars watching people who aren't taking 7 hours to summit. Tongue

mikitta

Jul 23, 2007, 7:37 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinwv] Singing Rock Blues on sale [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbinWV - no one drags me up anything. If I can't climb it under my own power, I do not climb it.

My climbing partners have no problem with how I climb. I don't hang dog, nor do I slip trip. In fact, my technique is very good. I also doubt it will take more than 2 or 3 hours total to summit with 3 people in the party. My weight has no bearing on the matter whatsoever.

I may not be at my goal yet, in fact, I am currently 50 lbs from my goal and working on it continually. Now, maybe you and your girl friend don't think I'm HAWT enough to climb with you (not that I would ever be THAT desperate for partners to rope up with you), but that just exhibits your own prejudice.

You have a nice day :)

God Bless,
mik

(This post was edited by mikitta on Jul 23, 2007, 7:47 PM)

climbinwv

Jul 23, 2007, 8:01 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I summited Seneca on Saturday. What were you doing?Tongue

mikitta

Jul 23, 2007, 8:13 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mowing a field, taking care of my children, doing housework and spending time with my husband, who is a truck driver and who I don't see more than 2 days a week.

I think it's important to have priorities in order, don't you?

God Bless,
mik

climbinwv

Jul 24, 2007, 1:22 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do have priorities. I work. I climb. My wife works. She climbs. Were you mowing the field or grazing on it for lunch?

Partner j_ung

Jul 24, 2007, 1:34 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't used this harness, so tell me to STFU if you like and I will, but if you're traddin' and rackin' your gear on your waist, I think you might have problems with biners bunching up in the gear loops.

mikitta

Jul 24, 2007, 6:06 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Singing Rock Blues on sale [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

J_ung, that's a good point :) I'll have to see how it works and I will definitely post my results with it. Even following and cleaning it can be an issue. I do have an over the shoulder sling that I can use - in fact, that's all I used for years as trying to climb offwidth with stuff hanging off my waist was a pain in many different ways LOL.

God Bless,
mik

oldrnotboldr

Jul 24, 2007, 7:10 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As with a lot of gear it depends on different factors.
I use a Singing Rock harness. And, as Jung pointed out the gear loop design causes gear to slide forward. If it's a few biners or draws, it's not too bad. It is a very comfortable harness. If I need to carry a considerable amount of gear, If it's a long trad route, I'll use a shoulder sling and/or switch to a black diamond harness.

For the price, it would be a good buy, if only for a spare, friends, quick routes, or using a shoulder sling. Good luck.

mikitta

Jul 25, 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1056 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldrnotboldr] Singing Rock Blues on sale [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got my harness, ATC and pear locker along with a block of chalk today. Kudos to Gear Express for fast shipping :)

The harness says it will fit a waist of 35 inches - that is it's MAXIMUM fit. If your waist is bigger than 35, you will need to get the XL. I should be able to wear my size L harness for the rest of this year comfortably before having to get a new one (my waist, this morning, was at 33 inches). I haven't measured the circumference yet of the harness buckled as tight as it will go, but I am guessing it will fit down to around 28 inches, which gives it some decent cross over range with the other sizes of this model.

The gear loops are weird. They will take some getting used to, and I can see how gear would slide forward. The back is different in design too. It is split with a plastic piece. It seems comfortable enough, though, and the plastic bit is a convenient place to clip my chalk bag.

For the price, I think this harness would be a good addition to anyone's stash for extras to lend out to buddies new to the sport.

After I've climbed in it, I'll know if it's really comfortable. Didn't go climbing today as my partner strained his back playing with his dog yesterday and is currently enjoying the Vicodin the ER put him on. Hopefully we'll be able to get out some on Sunday :)

God Bless,
mik

oldrnotboldr

Jul 26, 2007, 5:45 AM
Post #12 of 13 (1036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, the back of the belt is a bit different. I find it quite comfortable to wear. Just remember the plastic loop in the back is NOT fall rated. It is for a haul loop, chaulk bag etc. The only thing I don't like is the gear loops. I think they would be much better if they were not canted forward.

So, climb on and have fun!

mikitta

Aug 3, 2007, 2:40 AM
Post #13 of 13 (939 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldrnotboldr] Singing Rock Blues on sale [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a quick update since I went climbing yesterday and used this harness for the first time.

I liked it, it was very comfortable both to climb in and being lowered. I was a little concerned the leg loops might pinch (my Bod's did) but I had no problems there. The gear loops are a little too crowded to the front for my taste, though I will get used to it and I won't notice it after a while.

I didn't have any problems with the gear I cleaned bunching to the front. it may be different if I follow up a substantially longer climb with more gear. The little cliff I go to is only about 50 feet tall at the highest spot.

I like the fact that this harness will fit me for another 5 inches of loss around the waist. It means I can save up for a Luna Sly

Overall I rate this harness very high on function :) It looks like Gear Express still has XL harnesses available (fits 35+ waist). $21 after shipping is a good deal :) I don't know if they are making this a semi permanant deal or what, though, as I've seen this advertised on their site for the last 6 weeks.

God Bless,
mik

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook