RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

dingus

Jul 26, 2007, 4:59 PM
Post #1 of 6 (498 views)
Shortcut

What's it cost? (a night on the ground)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recall some discussion about a portaledge. Someone made the point, it may have been Kate now that I think about it, that if you divide the cost of a ledge by the total number of nights you sleep in it, even if you only use that $500 ledge 10 times that's like a cheap hotel nightly rate.

Interesting notion and certainly strong self-justification for buying one (if you wall climb that is).

I travel on business a lot and for mid-tier no-squishy-carpet hotels like Hampton Inn, $100 - $250 a night is the norm, depending upon area. Hiltons and such generally start at $150 in their cheaper markets.

Decent hotels in Hawaii are $200 and up, sans discount.

OK... I got to thinking, (considering a new tent I don't really NEED at all)....

What's it cost me to spend a night on the ground?

Not transportation or climbing gear, but the stuff you need to spend the night on the ground somewhere. Add up what you have, divide by the number of nights you've used that gear, what's your hotel rate?

I couldn't begin to come up with the number for my whole outdoor career; impossible. It'd be really hard pressed to do it for my current outdoor kit.

But let's see:

Tent
Ground clothe
Pad
Sleeping bag
Head lamp or flashlight (whatever you use)
Stove
Pot
Fuel
Cook kit
Bug juice

Then divide by the number of nights you'
ve actually used all that stuff. What's your rate?

Mine would be quite low I think, combo of purchase habits, a used $40 REI synthetic bag and a whole lot of nights in it. Tent is a megamid I paid $150 for back in the day, countless nights in that thing.

I gotta be in the 5 bucks a night range though that's purely speculation.

Any ayall have a handle on your costs? I'm guessing some of you do, s'why I ask.

Cheers
DMT

reno

Jul 26, 2007, 5:05 PM
Post #2 of 6 (489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] What's it cost? (a night on the ground) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think my cost per night would be pretty low, but that's because I've been fortunate to have received several gifts: My tent (Mountain 25) was a gift, as was my cookset. I also scored my sleeping bag at the Ouray Ice Festival auction for fairly low cost, picked up a thermarest on Steep and Cheap once, and so forth.

That said, the "cost" of a night on the ground is miniscule compared to the benefits gained by those nights. Some folks get all stressed out and go pay some head pshrink to fix their mojo. I go sleep in the desert, and get the same benefit.

Better view, too. Smile

moose_droppings

Jul 26, 2007, 6:15 PM
Post #3 of 6 (436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, and after you get out of the pool you can call up room service and have dinner sent to your tent.

flint

Jul 26, 2007, 6:44 PM
Post #4 of 6 (407 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] What's it cost? (a night on the ground) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
Yeah, and after you get out of the pool you can call up room service and have dinner sent to your tent.

pool = lake

room service = partner that didn't lead a single pitch, only followed.

trebork2
Deleted

Jul 26, 2007, 6:47 PM
Post #5 of 6 (404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You forgot to add lots of beer. It's mandatory!

pastprime

Jul 27, 2007, 9:04 AM
Post #6 of 6 (270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back through the '70's and early '80's when I was in the outdoor biz, I was out in the woods dozens of nights a year, and my gear was either given to me, or bought at a deep discount, so the cost per night since then was very low, less than staying at a hostel, certainly very low single digits. Last year I decided the old gear was getting pretty tatty, bit the bullet and replaced the major stuff with really good gear, knowing this time would probably be the last time.
Went down near the Escalante for a couple of nights, then did a 3 day trip into the Sawtooths in early summer of last year; then got involved with some serious medical crap and haven't been out since. The cost per night on this new stuff, right now, is up there with a pretty fancy hotel, but nobody cleaned up after me.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook