RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

thomasribiere

Oct 3, 2002, 11:32 AM
Post #1 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

BW and filters
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I used a polarizing filter with a black and white Tmax 100ASA, hoping it would create a contrasted sky with well appearing clouds, but not at all!
Any idea to get "tragical" sky, with "threatening" clouds. I heard of yellow or red filters. Any info?

I add that I don't develop the films by myself, but have them in a shop (medium quality).

Thanx for infos.

krillen

Oct 3, 2002, 12:49 PM
Post #2 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

BW and filters [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a red filter will in crease you contrast (i.e. your darks will be blask, and you lights will be white). This provides teh cloud effects you are looking for, but remember it WILL effect you subject too.

Play around with it to see how it works, that's the easiest way.

cyberclimber

Oct 3, 2002, 1:17 PM
Post #3 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Thomas,
If you are wanting to darken the sky and make the clouds stand out more with B/W film, without strongly affecting the rest of your image, use a medium yellow filter. A red #25 filter will have an even more pronounced effect on the sky, but as already mentioned, it will greatly increase your overall contrast. If your image has a fairly flat horizon, you can use a split filter (yellow or red on top and clear on bottom or even a split neutral density filter stacked with a yellow to darken the sky and increase contrast). Realize that it is very difficult to get a dark sky if you are trying to shoot backlit (towards the sun), shooting with the sun at your back will make it much easier to get that dramatic looking sky. Off the subject a bit, but for really dramatic skies, try some Kodak High Speed Infrared B/W with a #25 Red filter and the sun behind you. Have fun!

jasona

Oct 3, 2002, 2:38 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IF you really wanted a contrasted sky and some interesting effects, try Kodak's infrared BW. Use a 28 or 25 red filter and be sure to bracket your exposures. Remember film must be loaded and unloaded in total darkness. Recommend leave it in canister when not in camera. Expensive stuff but looks amazing. Oh yeah, the more wide angle the better.

thomasribiere

Oct 15, 2002, 8:16 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you very much for this complete answers. I'm just coming back from one week in Greece, where I mainly shot colour rolls, and 2 BW rolls. I used my polarizing filter again, b/c I had only this one, but for my next holidays I will try either the red or yellow one, depending of what I find in my small city.
ANd why not try this infrared film. I had never heard of this one before.

Additional question : have you ever tried this film by Kodak "Black and White +, 400 ASA"?
It's a BW film which can be developped in a colour machine?

jasona

Oct 15, 2002, 8:23 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like Kodax T400 CN. B&W film that is C-41 processed(same processing as color) but yeilds B&W prints. Haven't used it myself but seen some of it and appears to have good results.

Partner tim

Oct 15, 2002, 8:31 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T400CN is probably the finest grained black and white film most people will ever care to use. I only buy T400CN and TMZ these days, they cover both ends of the spectrum as far as what I desire from black & white (on the one hand fast invisible grain, on the other, highest possible speed).

If you're really into B&W look at Barnbaum's book, and consider whether yellow, orange, or red filters would best suit your aims. Remember that the filter you choose will basically intensify the *opposite* color from itself and wash out its own in B&W.

the book: http://www.barnbaum.com/artofphotography.html

the nice thing about Barnbaum is that he does not pull any punches and does not pretend there is only one answer to a problem; this is ''art'' and no one can tell you how to feel or think.

krillen

Oct 15, 2002, 9:15 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

C-41 B&W can be a bit wonky. I had some great results with it, and then went to another lab and had HORRIBLE results. so it depends what your lab is doing.

It certainly makes getting someone else to develop you film easier adn cheaper, but I stil l favour the results of true B&W.

pushfurther

Oct 15, 2002, 10:02 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i used the 400 c41 film for a while. when you take it to get printed, they will be more brown and white than black and white.

all my chandler park bouldering pictures were done on c-41 b&w film, i just scanned them as gray images and they turn out black and white. the actual prints look different.

i like the tmax100 alot better.

beyond_gravity

Oct 15, 2002, 10:06 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One think I like to do is shoot threw my Ski goggles or sunglasses...experiement around and you'll get some interesting effects.

krillen

Oct 16, 2002, 3:17 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My C-41 B&W's came out brown and white too!

thomasribiere

Oct 16, 2002, 5:31 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so I might wait for a non important event to use it, b/c my lab is poor, unfortunately.
I wish I hqve time and space to do the job myself!

pushfurther

Oct 16, 2002, 6:26 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

krillen, that's because it's not true black and white film..it's black and white film for color processing. my photo teacher says that stuff can turn out blue and white, red and white, etc..

paceth01

Oct 16, 2002, 8:12 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would be nice and easy if you could get darkroom acess. You could Burn the sky and clouds out with a high filter and avoid having to guess about the filter when you are in the middle of shooting a quick scene or sequence.

basecamp_junkie

Oct 16, 2002, 8:38 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

beyond_gravity mentioned a great idea, I first tried shooting through my yellow glacier glasses when i lost my filter while in the mountains.. it does have some great effects. Have fun and try it all out. let us know how it all works.

spike

Oct 16, 2002, 9:16 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Tom,
I just purchase a roll of B&W file that can be processed in C-41 chemicals but haven't used it yet. I think the problem is that you are having the lab make "prints" from your "B&W film" like it was color film. I think it is a "B&W negative" not a "color negative".
Richard / SPIKE

peanutbutterandjelly

Oct 17, 2002, 1:00 AM
Post #17 of 17 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work in a photo lab. C-41 black and white film is what many of the proffesionals use for portraits when they shoot. We develope the film with black and white paper. This gives you a true black and white. If you use color paper with the C-41 b&w you will get a sepia toned result (brownish). The best results that I have found on C-41 b&w have come form Kodak Portra 400 B&W. Most places you have to tell them you want your roll on black and white paper and in many noncustom labs (cvs, walmart, ect) they will not be able to do this for you. The only time I shoot regular b&w is for stuff I want to enlarge my self. For all my paid work I shoot C-41 B&W.

(sorry about the spelling errors above)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook