RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

mtengaio

Aug 2, 2007, 4:14 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1508 views)
Shortcut

Framing for horizontal roof wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I want to add a horizontal wall mounted to my garage ceiling, does anyone have any beta on constructing a wall at this angle? The ceiling is finished with sheetrock.

I already have a complete vertical wall that's up and climbable and understand basic framing of climbing walls but have never dealt with dead horizontal angles before.

lostcauseclimber

Aug 2, 2007, 4:26 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtengaio] Framing for horizontal roof wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you probly have to rip the sheetrock off and frame it right off your rafters, thats what i would do. you can probly just run some bracing between the rafters and as long as you are using 3/4" plywood and your garage is reasonably soundly constructed then you shouldn't have any problems. i have done somethnig similar and it worked fine. also make sure you use all screws (3") NOT nails...

wrbill

Aug 2, 2007, 8:05 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

look at the phots in my profile. I have a good side view of my wall that should help. If you have any questions post or pm me.

Here are some pics.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...Wall_Pic3_71457.html
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...Wall_Pic1_71455.html

Bill

(This post was edited by wrbill on Aug 2, 2007, 8:07 AM)

jakedatc

Aug 3, 2007, 3:05 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lostcauseclimber] Framing for horizontal roof wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lostcauseclimber wrote:
you probly have to rip the sheetrock off and frame it right off your rafters, thats what i would do. you can probly just run some bracing between the rafters and as long as you are using 3/4" plywood and your garage is reasonably soundly constructed then you shouldn't have any problems. i have done somethnig similar and it worked fine. also make sure you use all screws (3") NOT nails...

I agree with this.. you'd be surprised at how good 3" wood screws are at holding.

Tip: try to start one edge on a rafter.. then mark the sheet with each rafter you'll screw onto.. then drill the Tnut holes and mount those before putting it up. that way you won't have Tnuts that you can't use because a rafter is behind it.

Partner ctardi

Aug 5, 2007, 7:09 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have the height, I would recommend not putting it right up against your rafters, unless you can still get to the back of the climbing surface via an attic.

You will strip t-nuts, or occasionally break a t-nut. It is very nice to be able to get to the back of it without having to remove panels.

What is the layout of your other walls? Are they in a way that you can have the horizontal wall(roof) resting on them, to tie it all together like a cave? This way, it could be either totally free standing, or, if you have already anchored to your structure, this way to don't have to rip out anything else. If you ever end up moving, this could make it easy to take the walls with you.

Do you have photos of what you already have in the space? (as well as photos of where you would like the roof to go?)

(This post was edited by ctardi on Aug 5, 2007, 7:10 PM)

mtengaio

Aug 6, 2007, 2:21 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ctardi] Framing for horizontal roof wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont want to tear off the drywall from the ceiling 'cuz I'll just have to replace it when I sell the house eventually. I'll post a couple of pics of what's already in place. Thanks for the ideas so far.

bcombs

Aug 6, 2007, 2:54 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What I did was run sleepers the opposite way that the rafters were running. Take a look at the Metolius "build a home wall" guide.

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/...meBoulderingWall.pdf

They explain what they are and have pics on how to set it up. You'll also be able to keep the existing sheetrock intact.

Hope that helps.

(This post was edited by bcombs on Aug 6, 2007, 2:55 PM)

hsvclimber

Aug 6, 2007, 3:12 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bcombs] Framing for horizontal roof wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have done this several ways.

Sleepers as stated above is one of the best ways to do minimal damage to sheetrock, but still attach to the ceiling.

I had a high enough ceiling and wanted a wall that could be moved when I sell and had also just sheetrocked the whole garage and didn't want and holes that would have to be patched, so I built mine completely free standing. Framed a whole other ceiling below the sheetrocked ceiling, supported by a few columns in the center of the garage. Lots more expensive to build the wall. Built it in 10x10 sections that can be dismantled and moved. No screws at all into house. Takes up one whole bay ~ 800 sq ft.

Partner ctardi

Aug 6, 2007, 4:32 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mtengaio wrote:
I dont want to tear off the drywall from the ceiling 'cuz I'll just have to replace it when I sell the house eventually. I'll post a couple of pics of what's already in place. Thanks for the ideas so far.

Freestanding is probably your best bet. Yes, it is more expensive, but like mentioned above, you can take it with you, and don't have to repair the walls/ceiling when you leave.

mtengaio

Aug 16, 2007, 2:48 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ctardi] Framing for horizontal roof wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So I've got a majority of my wall up. I'm waiting until winter to install the roof section. Thanks for all the suggestions.

One thing I'm trying to figure out though is how to connect the left vertical wall to the 45 degree steep wall in the middle (see pictures). When I hold a 2x4 up in between the two walls the angles don't match up, the 2x4 doesn't sit flush on the vertical plane. Has anyone else dealt with this?
Attachments: IMG_0495.JPG (99.5 KB)
  IMG_0497.JPG (100 KB)

aarong

Aug 28, 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude - you finally got to the best part! The creative section. Put down the tape measure and get to work. This is going to be the best section of your wall. Just make it work - start piecing a frame together and use smaller sections of plywood as needed. Personally, I stay away from acute and 90 degree angles in home gyms as much as possible so I would be less likely to make a corner/dihedral between the vert wall and the 45 - shoot more for a larger upside-down triangle shape. I think the best features and the ones that make home gyms really stand out are created in the in-between spaces like what you have. Good luck and let us see what you have created when you get it finished.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook