Premier Sponsor:

crowntown2007

Jul 31, 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #1 of 23 (2672 views)
Shortcut

Bear Grylls in the News
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone here care that he's supposedly checked into some motels and the camera crew has helped him out? Interesting, but I'll wait for the verdict...I like Survivorman better anyways Smile

http://au.news.yahoo.com/070730/11/142y3.html

surf_crazy75

Jul 31, 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #2 of 23 (2663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crowntown2007] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I stopped watching him after he held up that elephant poop to his mouth and squeezed the water out of it.

microbarn

Aug 1, 2007, 1:27 AM
Post #3 of 23 (2639 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I watched about 30 seconds of a couple of different shows from him. Every one of the shows made me turn it off immediately. Finding honey by listening and hearing it from hundreds of yards away???? right. Then you run it down and the hive is free hanging from a limb???? right.

dr_feelgood

Aug 1, 2007, 1:30 AM
Post #4 of 23 (2636 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a show about survival technique. Not about actual survival. Once you get past it, it can be mildly entertaining... when you are drunk and loaded up on percs....

hiyapokey

Aug 1, 2007, 3:19 AM
Post #5 of 23 (2627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the show and have no trouble suspending dis-belief. Its more of an out door survival drama than a real life survival show like Survivor Man.

carabiner96

Aug 1, 2007, 4:08 AM
Post #6 of 23 (2615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hiyapokey] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bear grylls is h-a-w-t!

robbovius

Aug 1, 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #7 of 23 (2599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
It's a show about survival technique. Not about actual survival. Once you get past it, it can be mildly entertaining... when you are drunk and loaded up on percs....

shiat dude, ANY TV show is mildy entertaining when you're drunk and loaded up on percs.

robbovius

Aug 1, 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #8 of 23 (2596 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crowntown2007 wrote:
Anyone here care that he's supposedly checked into some motels and the camera crew has helped him out? Interesting, but I'll wait for the verdict...I like Survivorman better anyways Smile

yeah, I read that article a few days ago. But, like, c'mon, you watch teh show and it's pretty opbvious there's a camera crew RIGHT THERE, so obviously it's not all getting along in the wild...

overlord

Aug 1, 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #9 of 23 (2591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
crowntown2007 wrote:

yeah, I read that article a few days ago. But, like, c'mon, you watch teh show and it's pretty opbvious there's a camera crew RIGHT THERE, so obviously it's not all getting along in the wild...

LOL, that was my thought after watching that show. who is on the camera if hes all aloneTongue

Partner macherry

Aug 1, 2007, 4:19 PM
Post #10 of 23 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

never heard of it

Partner epoch

Aug 1, 2007, 8:12 PM
Post #11 of 23 (2545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
never heard of it

don't look into it too much. you're not missing anyting dear.

Partner macherry

Aug 1, 2007, 8:54 PM
Post #12 of 23 (2536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks

trebork2
Deleted

Aug 2, 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #13 of 23 (2509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crowntown2007 wrote:

I should punch you for saying you like Survivor Man better!!!! Laugh

gwendolyn

Aug 2, 2007, 1:54 PM
Post #14 of 23 (2503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
bear grylls is h-a-w-t!

Biner, I am right there with you - he is smoking h-a-w-t.

dookie

Aug 2, 2007, 2:00 PM
Post #15 of 23 (2497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gwendolyn] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, his accent drives me nuts. Tongue Normally I love the brit accent, but his is just grating to me.
Of course he's got a camera crew with him - my husband loves shows like this (he watches survivor man too) and so I get stuck watching it now and then. There has been a number of times where he's said 'you really shouldn't do this unless absolutely necessary (life and death), but I'm going to show you how to do it safely if you ever need to'. Like jumping into a freezing cold river in Iceland. It's pretty obvious there's a full crew with the guy, and that he gets help along the way.
After all, what they don't want is the guy dying on the show... kinda defeats the purpose LaughWink

Partner tradman

Aug 2, 2007, 2:03 PM
Post #16 of 23 (2492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dookie] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my husband loves shows like this

Husband!?

Man I've been away a long time.

Tongue

Scott2770

Aug 2, 2007, 2:12 PM
Post #17 of 23 (2487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradman] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like Survivor man more because he really has to survive alone for a week, but I don't mind that Bear Grylls has a crew....

Partner wideguy

Aug 2, 2007, 3:07 PM
Post #18 of 23 (2481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dookie] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dookie wrote:
Like jumping into a freezing cold river in Iceland. It's pretty obvious there's a full crew with the guy, and that he gets help along the way.

That's the whole thing. They never hid his camera crew but they HAVE always insisted they gave him no help. He even admitted that he had the mental benefit of knowing they were there if the shit hit the fan, which was MUCH easier than being truly stuck alone.
But even knowing all that, it's disappointing to hear that while he COULD have slept in the shelter he built on the beach, he didn't. He went to a hotel/resort on the other side of the island and came back the next day for filming. And while you COULD survive on grubs for 3 days, he chose to go have a filet mignon instead.

Les Stroud (Survivorman) has admitted that the camera crew stays the first day and does some of the remote camera shots etc, for better TV, but then they leave. He has a satellite phone for a real emergency but he at least actually stays our where he claims to be.

dookie

Aug 2, 2007, 3:44 PM
Post #19 of 23 (2468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradman] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradman wrote:
In reply to:
my husband loves shows like this

Husband!?

Man I've been away a long time.

Tongue

haven't you?!?! ShockedLaugh

Wide, I hear ya, it is disappointing - but I don't think it takes away from the point he tries to convey - tactics to stay alive in the wild if you get stuck somewhere. He shows everyone just that.
I like survivor man better.Cool

markc

Aug 3, 2007, 1:32 PM
Post #20 of 23 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gwendolyn wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
bear grylls is h-a-w-t!

Even though he drank his own piss and eats anything that crawls? I agree that he's an attractive guy, but that sort of thing would put me off a bit.

markc

Aug 3, 2007, 1:41 PM
Post #21 of 23 (2433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trebork2] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trebork2 wrote:
I should punch you for saying you like Survivor Man better!!!! Laugh

If you're handing them out...

I like that Les is more conservative in his approach. He's out there on his own, and doesn't seem to go for the unnecessary risks that Bear does. It's also impressive that he can spend so much time by himself in that sort of situation. Doing what he does would be impressive even without hauling all of that camera gear.

I think Bear's program is intentionally more exciting. There's no way he could do all the things he does without a film crew along. While I don't watch it a lot, I've seen him climb some fairly awkward things, jump across gaps, etc. He doesn't have to worry about hauling gear, so he has more freedom.

It's all about entertainment. While it would be nice to maintain the illusion that Bear's roughing it, I'm not really put out by him crashing at a motel on occasion. I like sleeping in a bed most nights, too.

gwendolyn

Aug 3, 2007, 2:01 PM
Post #22 of 23 (2426 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Bear Grylls in the News [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
gwendolyn wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
bear grylls is h-a-w-t!

Even though he drank his own piss and eats anything that crawls? I agree that he's an attractive guy, but that sort of thing would put me off a bit.

He also insists on taking all his clothes off whenever he gets wet so as to conserve his body heat. Tell me that's not done for ratings.

jakedatc

Aug 3, 2007, 2:55 PM
Post #23 of 23 (2418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually thats a real tip.. wet clothes.. especially cotton and whatever else he's' wearing will suck the heat right out of you when it's soaking wet like that. so while it looks dramatic and i'm sure the girls like it.. it is beneficial.

Les is much more useful for the normal person... now.. if YOU are in the special forces, can climb everest, etc etc then maybe.. maybe Bear's methods won't get you killed by the 2nd day. especially if you don't mind a 35 mile trot across some countryside.

I swear i've seen a belay rope when he downclimbed the water fall and he definitely had a harness on when he "found" that tyrolean across some gorge. Also think he has a PFD under his jacket when he jumps into rivers..

Les's website says that he's almost bailed by Sat phone twice.. once in the arctic when he was hypothermic and in some desert when he ran out of water for quite a while

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook