RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

edmontonalta

Aug 5, 2007, 6:36 AM
Post #1 of 21 (2533 views)
Shortcut

Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I bought it because i thought it self-brakes but I watched the video at petzl.com they only show it breaking when you are belaying someone else. Im looking for something that will brake when Im repelling or walking across a steep snow bank. Is the grigri what I want? There video says to use shunt or prusik loop when repelling.

(This post was edited by edmontonalta on Aug 5, 2007, 6:38 AM)

jp_sucks

Aug 5, 2007, 8:02 AM
Post #2 of 21 (2510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edmontonalta] Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reverso won't self lock when rapping. Grigri will lock but not guaranteed. If you really want a self-locking rap device, you need to find a petzl stop.

edmontonalta

Aug 5, 2007, 8:15 AM
Post #3 of 21 (2505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jp_sucks wrote:
reverso won't self lock when rapping. Grigri will lock but not guaranteed. If you really want a self-locking rap device, you need to find a petzl stop.

I assume you mean the shunt thing. Its basically a mechanical prussik? thanks:)

mr-pink

Aug 5, 2007, 1:53 PM
Post #4 of 21 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edmontonalta] Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the petzl stop is a rappel device with a built in brake.

Because you have allready bought the reverso, it's cheaper to buy a prussic or a (more expensive) shunt

8flood8

Aug 5, 2007, 1:58 PM
Post #5 of 21 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr-pink] Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the shunt will back up your rappel and you can use it as an ascender in a jam as well.

flint

Aug 5, 2007, 2:25 PM
Post #6 of 21 (2450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey MODS, can we please delete these threads, and maybe Edmontonalta. He/She is clearly doing more damage than good, and they are not listening to any advice. This is particullarly a problem because they are posting in the beginners forum, which has been discribed to him/her as a focal point of people who are trying to learn and who could get the wrong ideas.

Thank you.

moose_droppings

Aug 5, 2007, 6:06 PM
Post #7 of 21 (2384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edmontonalta wrote:
I bought it because i thought it self-brakes but I watched the video at petzl.com they only show it breaking when you are belaying someone else. Im looking for something that will brake when Im repelling or walking across a steep snow bank. Is the grigri what I want? There video says to use shunt or prusik loop when repelling.

I'm done feeding this guy.

swaghole

Aug 5, 2007, 6:44 PM
Post #8 of 21 (2364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just use a prussik as a back up and let it do the braking when you need to go hands free (you are uisng one, right??) If you are not familiar with how the prussik can be used for 'hands off' braking with a rappel device, have someone knowledgeable show you. A number of things can go wrong if you don't set up the prussik correctly, with side effects ranging from incontinence to death- make sure you know what you are doing before using it.

(This post was edited by swaghole on Aug 5, 2007, 7:34 PM)

Partner j_ung

Aug 6, 2007, 1:58 PM
Post #9 of 21 (2298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edmontonalta wrote:

You need a $1.50 piece of 6-7mm cord.

Valarc

Aug 6, 2007, 2:32 PM
Post #10 of 21 (2272 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edmontonalta wrote:
jp_sucks wrote:
If you really want a self-locking rap device, you need to find a petzl stop.

Not to feed the troll or anything, but it oughtta be clarified that the shunt and the stop are NOT the same device. The stop is designed for descending, and the shunt is designed for ascending.

pastprime

Aug 6, 2007, 7:10 PM
Post #11 of 21 (2200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
edmontonalta wrote:
jp_sucks wrote:

Not to feed the troll or anything, but it oughtta be clarified that the shunt and the stop are NOT the same device. The stop is designed for descending, and the shunt is designed for ascending.

One point of correction: I have a shunt, like it a lot.
It works well as a backup for rappelling or any other use where you might want to hang on the rope and have both hands free, and that is one of the uses for it covered in the manufacturer's instruction sheet.

rocknice2

Aug 6, 2007, 7:17 PM
Post #12 of 21 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pastprime] Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pastprime wrote:
Valarc wrote:
edmontonalta wrote:
jp_sucks wrote:

It works well as a backup for rappelling or any other use where you might want to hang on the rope and have both hands free, and that is one of the uses for it covered in the manufacturer's instruction sheet.

There is a problem trying to release it when you want to reengage the rappel.
You need to set it below the rappel device for it make transitions possible.

(This post was edited by rocknice2 on Aug 6, 2007, 7:19 PM)

shockabuku

Aug 6, 2007, 7:22 PM
Post #13 of 21 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
pastprime wrote:
Valarc wrote:
edmontonalta wrote:
jp_sucks wrote:

There is a problem trying to release it when you want to reengage the rappel.
You need to set it below the rappel device for it make transitions possible.

A Shunt? Not sure what you mean by transitions, but if you want to stop and then go on rappel it can be set either above or below the rappel device.

rocknice2

Aug 6, 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #14 of 21 (2122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's say your on rappel and you need to stop to whatever. You engage[release] the shunt. Now your totally hanging on the shunt.
You finish whatever and you want to continue rappelling.
If the shunt is above the rap device, it'll be fully loaded by body weight. In my experience I couldn't get it to release it's grip without attaching a long sling so that I could step up and raise my rap device.
With the shunt below the ATC, I just gave it a good whack and it released.

mikebarter387

Aug 7, 2007, 12:55 AM
Post #15 of 21 (2092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mike to the rescue again

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1N2aLXqX37c

anykineclimb

Aug 7, 2007, 1:05 AM
Post #16 of 21 (2082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebarter387] Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mikebarter387 wrote:
mike to the rescue again

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1N2aLXqX37c

the OP is asking about RAPPELLING not belaying a second

rocknice2

Aug 7, 2007, 1:31 AM
Post #17 of 21 (2076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebarter387] Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mikebarter387 wrote:
mike to the rescue again

[sucks]http://youboob.com/don'twatch?v=1N2aLXqX37c[/sucks]

Link fixed

stymingersfink

Aug 7, 2007, 7:19 AM
Post #18 of 21 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
mikebarter387 wrote:
mike to the rescue again

[sucks]http://youboob.com/don'twatch?v=1N2aLXqX37c[/sucks]

Link fixed
LaughWhy yes, you did fix that link, didn't you!Wink

WTF is up with that guy, anyway? All he ever does is post links to some crappy video my 6 y.o. niece could have produced and directed better... and she doesn't even climb!

shockabuku

Aug 7, 2007, 9:24 AM
Post #19 of 21 (2017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
Let's say your on rappel and you need to stop to whatever. You engage[release] the shunt. Now your totally hanging on the shunt.
You finish whatever and you want to continue rappelling.
If the shunt is above the rap device, it'll be fully loaded by body weight. In my experience I couldn't get it to release it's grip without attaching a long sling so that I could step up and raise my rap device.
With the shunt below the ATC, I just gave it a good whack and it released.

I would agree that it's easier with the Shunt below, though I can't recall ever having severe difficulty releasing it when it's hooked above the rap device. I will admit that I usually use it below now myself.

mikebarter387

Aug 7, 2007, 2:34 PM
Post #20 of 21 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Can you make the reverso self-braking when you are repelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://youtube.com/watch?v=utTUqyrfZv8

billcoe_

Aug 7, 2007, 11:01 PM
Post #21 of 21 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edmontonalta wrote:

Sure: just being an experienced partner along and have them pull on the bottom of the rope as you rap with your Reverso. It will Self-Brake right away.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook