RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

dhorgan

Aug 6, 2007, 8:32 PM
Post #1 of 11 (960 views)
Shortcut

crampons for sierra routes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi

I'm going to be doing a few alpine routes in the sierras in september. Sill, Whitney, Temple Crag, Bear Creek Spire, etc. I'll be focusing on routes that are mainly rock climbs.
I wondered about using a pair of strap-on crampons on a pair of low-top approach shoes, in case I run into a tiny stretch of snow or ice. I've never tried that, and I was wondering what people thought of that versus getting into something heavier, either a high-top approach shoe or a full-on lightweight mountaineering boot like the sportiva trango s evo gtx. I hate to spend money on something like that (and lug it up a long rock climb) if I don't need to. Any particular boots people like for this type of climbing?
Cheers,
David

hiyapokey

Aug 6, 2007, 8:59 PM
Post #2 of 11 (947 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dhorgan] crampons for sierra routes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in yosemite last october and they were expecting snow soon I think, but the day was very warm still and not conducive to snow on the ground. Of course you may be going higher, so other folks more knowledgable about the area may tell you differant. Anyway, to answer your question there are these square steel plates with the corners turned down the strap over the ball of you shoe that I haven't personally used. My mom used them to give herself a little piece of mind when climbing down the ice trails of the grand canyon in the winter. She loved them. Real men use crampax brand crampons.

shimanilami

Aug 6, 2007, 9:09 PM
Post #3 of 11 (942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't been up any of those routes this year, but I'd be surprised if there's snow any of them right now. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

And if there is, I think you'd be better off with an axe.

snowey

Aug 6, 2007, 9:24 PM
Post #4 of 11 (931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] crampons for sierra routes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

we climbed mt. russell yesterday and didn't have to cross or come in contact with any snow. Mt. Whitney looked totally dry too.

trebork2
Deleted

Aug 6, 2007, 9:54 PM
Post #5 of 11 (920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Black Diamond Sabertooths are a good all around crampon for any route.

dingus

Aug 7, 2007, 1:36 AM
Post #6 of 11 (903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trebork2] crampons for sierra routes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chances are very very good you will not even need an ax, let alone crampons. I didn't take crampons for any of those mountains you listed.

Keep in mind that snow flies at some point between mid Sept and the end of Dec.... and when it does, you're pretty mkuch done. Keep your eye on the sky that time of year.

Cheers
DMT

dynoho

Aug 7, 2007, 2:21 AM
Post #7 of 11 (889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got back from Whitney yesterday. While there is a lot of ice, as low as 12K, all of it was avoidable. The first gully after the notch had a large field which was easily by-passed. Mt. Russel appeared to have none.

Daytime temps were pretty high, so I doubt anything would be accumulating in the next month. Good luck.

crotch

Aug 7, 2007, 3:03 AM
Post #8 of 11 (876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynoho] crampons for sierra routes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lightweight aluminum strap-on crampons on tennis shoes work fine. I'd be glad to have them if I was headed up Glacier Notch to the Swiss Arete for instance. More is overkill unless you're setting out to climb some couloirs. Most of the trade routes in the Sierra you'd be fine without.

If you don't want to carry as much weight you can get away with having only 1 partner bring a pair of 'pons and then belay the 2nd guy up. Another alternative is to chop or stomp steps the afternoon before your climb when the snow is soft.

tavs

Aug 7, 2007, 3:24 PM
Post #9 of 11 (856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crotch] crampons for sierra routes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did the lightweight crampons over low approach shoes for the last two weeks in the Bugaboos. Everything from hard icy snow/glacier in the early AM to 12 inches of melty, mushy snow by the PM. Worked like a charm throughout. If you did think you'd be encountering much snow, low-top gaiters over the shoes are also a nice (and light) touch.

timm

Aug 7, 2007, 3:28 PM
Post #10 of 11 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sill is the only climb you will need crampons for of the ones that you listed. The rest are all snow free. The glacier up thru Glacier Notch is very icy with crevasses (some hidden). Make sure that whatever crampons you have are sharp for the Glacier Notch approach.

superbum

Sep 2, 2007, 2:25 AM
Post #11 of 11 (749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crotch] crampons for sierra routes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crotch wrote:
Lightweight aluminum strap-on crampons on tennis shoes work fine. I'd be glad to have them if I was headed up Glacier Notch to the Swiss Arete for instance. More is overkill unless you're setting out to climb some couloirs. Most of the trade routes in the Sierra you'd be fine without.

If you don't want to carry as much weight you can get away with having only 1 partner bring a pair of 'pons and then belay the 2nd guy up. Another alternative is to chop or stomp steps the afternoon before your climb when the snow is soft.

Yep! I've used Trango's cheapest strap on crampons many times w/ only my approach shoes...from the Bugaboos to the Sierra. If you can get a super lightweight pair of alum. ones, even better...But if you were to only have ONE pair of crampons, I would want them to be steel.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook