OTHER? (define below) 1 / 3%
37 total votes

shockabuku

Aug 17, 2007, 8:52 PM
Post #26 of 45 (4944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hsvclimber] Crossloading defined with pictures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This document isn't specific enough by itself to define anything. Without any details, dimensions, as to location of the application of the force, i.e. half the distance between the ends of the gate, it's open to interpretation.

Aug 17, 2007, 9:26 PM
Post #27 of 45 (4926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] Crossloading defined with pictures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I think of crossloading as any loading geometry other than loading along the major axis (axis with largest strength rating). I don't know if a formal definition exists. Therefore, in my opinion, all of the above...

trenchdigger

Aug 17, 2007, 9:26 PM
Post #28 of 45 (4925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Crossloading defined with pictures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
This document isn't specific enough by itself to define anything. Without any details, dimensions, as to location of the application of the force, i.e. half the distance between the ends of the gate, it's open to interpretation.

Yah, exactly. That's my point. And presuming anything from this doc other than the rough definition of what "cross loading" means is a moot point. Discerning the true definition of what cross loadin is as defined by the strength rating (the OP's actual question) would require details about the testing procedure.

Partner kimgraves

Aug 18, 2007, 1:06 AM
Post #29 of 45 (4885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [112] Crossloading defined with pictures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

112 wrote:
Personally, I think of crossloading as any loading geometry other than loading along the major axis (axis with largest strength rating). I don't know if a formal definition exists. Therefore, in my opinion, all of the above...

I concur with this. A "crossload" is any load that doesn't or can't use the maximum strength of the biner. That said, there is probably some element of "crossload" in most any fall - IE. there are no perfect loads. Luckily biners are very strong.

Tom Frost (the engineer who came up with the first modern aluminium carabiner) once told me that his feeling was that if someone could design a biner whose X-load was greater than 12 KNT (I think this is the number he used - it might have been higher) that there would never be a carabiner failure.

The point is that there is a number where biners won't fail. Someone who I know once told me that when they rope solo's they uses a steel biner to attach the Gri because it's so much stronger in the X-load.

Best, Kim

michaellane

Aug 18, 2007, 1:21 AM
Post #30 of 45 (4881 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hsvclimber] Crossloading defined with pictures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hsvclimber wrote:
http://www.uiaa.ch/web.test/visual/Safety/SafComPictorials/PictUIAA121-EN12275Connectors.pdf

Green

This is correct. Per UIAA and CE, this is how minor axis is defined and tested.

To secure and maintain the pins, the biners are notched (there's a spec for that, too) so they can't slip out of that orientation.

--ML

shockabuku

Aug 18, 2007, 1:54 AM
Post #31 of 45 (4873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [michaellane] Crossloading defined with pictures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

michaellane wrote:
hsvclimber wrote:
http://www.uiaa.ch/web.test/visual/Safety/SafComPictorials/PictUIAA121-EN12275Connectors.pdf

Green

This is correct. Per UIAA and CE, this is how minor axis is defined and tested.

To secure and maintain the pins, the biners are notched (there's a spec for that, too) so they can't slip out of that orientation.

--ML

How do you notch a wire gate?

joeforte

Aug 18, 2007, 4:22 AM
Post #32 of 45 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the number represents it's weakest possible orientation. This is different for every design, so one generic majid-diagram cannot fully represent the entire pool.

microbarn

Aug 18, 2007, 11:34 AM
Post #33 of 45 (4850 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimgraves] Crossloading defined with pictures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kimgraves wrote:
112 wrote:

I concur with this. A "crossload" is any load that doesn't or can't use the maximum strength of the biner. That said, there is probably some element of "crossload" in most any fall - IE. there are no perfect loads. Luckily biners are very strong.

Tom Frost (the engineer who came up with the first modern aluminium carabiner) once told me that his feeling was that if someone could design a biner whose X-load was greater than 12 KNT (I think this is the number he used - it might have been higher) that there would never be a carabiner failure.

The point is that there is a number where biners won't fail. Someone who I know once told me that when they rope solo's they uses a steel biner to attach the Gri because it's so much stronger in the X-load.

Best, Kim

I am not asking for terminology. I am asking to find out how the number stamped on the side of the biner is defined. Since manufacturers are putting a number permanently in the metal of the product, there has to be some well defined standard.

The other guys are heading in the direction I was hoping for, and I think they are bringing up good questions.

michaellane

Aug 20, 2007, 8:17 PM
Post #34 of 45 (4802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Good question ...

You don't, actually. Once the frame is notched and the gate aligned against the opposing pin, pressure pretty well keeps it in place for the test.

--ML

td

Aug 22, 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #35 of 45 (4764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimgraves] Crossloading defined with pictures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One nice biner is the DMM Shield. Superstrong and light, yet they can't do a typical crossload test since it reorients itself from minor axis to major axis.
If that were always the case then the crossload strength would be the same as the major axis strength. Of course once in a great while something may cause the biner to get stuck sideways, but it seems this is much less likely than most other lightweight biners, including cheap knockoffs like Madrock made in China.

http://www.dmmclimbing.com/productsDetails.asp?id=&id2=45

(This post was edited by td on Aug 22, 2007, 11:06 PM)

stymingersfink

Aug 23, 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #36 of 45 (4745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

michaellane wrote:
In reply to:

Good question ...

You don't, actually. Once the frame is notched and the gate aligned against the opposing pin, pressure pretty well keeps it in place for the test.

--ML

having spent more than a few afternoons giving people the factory tour at BD, I can honestly say I have never seen a biner "notched" to maintain its position in the dynamometer.

pins are indeed used, but I seem to recall the tech holding the biner in position while setting the machine under light tension, just enough to secure the biner. the door to the machine is then closed and the test performed to failure.

watching that shit break again and again can be a very educational experience, especially when witnessed in a controlled environment.

be sure to take the tour if you're ever in Salt Lake and have the opportunity to. Check with the retail store for their tour days/times... 2pm IIRC.

microbarn

Aug 23, 2007, 1:18 AM
Post #37 of 45 (4731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Crossloading defined with pictures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
michaellane wrote:
In reply to:

Good question ...

--ML

having spent more than a few afternoons giving people the factory tour at BD, I can honestly say I have never seen a biner "notched" to maintain its position in the dynamometer.

pins are indeed used, but I seem to recall the tech holding the biner in position while setting the machine under light tension, just enough to secure the biner. the door to the machine is then closed and the test performed to failure.

watching that shit break again and again can be a very educational experience, especially when witnessed in a controlled environment.

be sure to take the tour if you're ever in Salt Lake and have the opportunity to. Check with the retail store for their tour days/times... 2pm IIRC.

but in the end, you agree it is the centered measurement of green??

shockabuku

Aug 23, 2007, 3:57 AM
Post #38 of 45 (4723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:

Don't do it, man!!

stymingersfink

Aug 23, 2007, 4:09 AM
Post #39 of 45 (4719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
michaellane wrote:
In reply to:

Good question ...

--ML

for controlled testing purposes, yes.

the reality in the field is another matter all together, where any loading other than along the major axis will result in sub-optimal strength.

There is one thing you have not shown on your diagrams which will result in gear failure at much lower loads than cross-loading (as i understand it), that being a load along the major (or any, actually) axis where the 'biner is levered on its side (or spine) over a feature on the rock. Preventing such a situation must be kept in mind when installing bolts or placing gear, and when such situations cannot be avoided perhaps a secondary piece near the primary piece would be considered prudent.

domu888

Aug 23, 2007, 4:15 AM
Post #40 of 45 (4717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
now a clickable link:

Thanks for finding that

I think you have your answer: center of the gate, 10mm from the connecting notch of the main body.

michaellane

Aug 23, 2007, 4:26 PM
Post #41 of 45 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Crossloading defined with pictures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
michaellane wrote:
In reply to:

Good question ...

--ML

<snip>

Here's the standard:

EN 12275:1998 Paragraph 5.3.2.1.4 Minor axis testing "In order to avoid movement of the loading pins during the test, grooves may be made in the body, in the gate and/or the gate-locking device to sufficient depth to ensure location of the pins. These grooves shall not be subsequently the cause of failure."

--ML

sky7high

Aug 23, 2007, 6:32 PM
Post #42 of 45 (4677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Regardless of "correct" crossloading, I wonder what the strength ratings are for the blue and red loads. It's my experience that in real-life scenarios, carabiners are often loaded the red way. i.e. right above the gate. This is especially true with pear shaped carabs.

(This post was edited by sky7high on Aug 23, 2007, 7:13 PM)

microbarn

Aug 23, 2007, 6:41 PM
Post #43 of 45 (4667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sky7high] Crossloading defined with pictures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sky7high wrote:
Regardless of "correct" crossloading, I wonder what the strength ratings are for the blue and green loads. It's my experience that in real-life scenarios, carabiners are often loaded the red way. i.e. right above the gate. This is especially true with pear shaped carabs.

well the green should be stamped on the biner. The red and blue are the unknowns.

For most biners, I bet the green is the weakest point. So, I feel pretty good if the biner slides to the blue or red positions.

sky7high

Aug 23, 2007, 7:12 PM
Post #44 of 45 (4656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

woops, I meant red... editing right now

sky7high

Aug 23, 2007, 7:18 PM
Post #45 of 45 (4651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
[snip]
For most biners, I bet the green is the weakest point. So, I feel pretty good if the biner slides to the blue or red positions.

Well, the red position feels a bit more sketchy to me, because the portion of the carab right above the gate isn't hooked or attached to the rest of the carabiner. If the carabiner is loaded across the gate, the gate is still attached to the carab through the hook or keylock at the nose, but the nose can be folded backwards and it won't have a hook attaching it to the gate.

I don't know if this is clear, I'll try to post an image later

(This post was edited by sky7high on Aug 23, 2007, 7:18 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook