Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

climbxclimb

Aug 19, 2007, 7:22 PM
Post #1 of 108 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Gear Stolen near High Exposure at the Gunks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yesterday, me and 3 more friends were climbing on High E, split in 2 parties. I carried all my rack with me while I was leading, my friend, who was leading for the other rope, decided to leave some stuff on the ground, mostly big cams.
When we came down we realized that somebody had stolen his stuff, about 6 or 7 cams, all BD C3 and C4.
Now...there is the possibility that by accident, other parties at base of the climb while packing their stuff, they took also my friend's rack...although I find hard to believe that you are putting a N.4 and a N.5 in your pack and you do not notice they are not yours...
The other scenario is that Yesterday there were some assholes climbing at the Gunks, and they took the gear...not hard to believe...
Considering how long it takes to put together a rack for somebody with a low or normal income, them stiling the gear drives me up a wall!
We spoke with the rangers, and they were very surprised to ear what happened, they will file a police report.
In any case if somebody knows or ears anything about this, please shoot me an email.

livinonasandbar

Aug 19, 2007, 9:14 PM
Post #2 of 108 (5493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbxclimb] Gear Stolen near High Exposure at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That really sucks... I hope you find the stuff. Thieves at the crag... that's even worse than unleashed dogs!

wanderlustmd

Aug 20, 2007, 12:47 AM
Post #3 of 108 (5415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [livinonasandbar] Gear Stolen near High Exposure at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This sort of thing has been happening a lot lately. Aside from the fact that it's just wrong, I can't believe any climber who knows the cost of gear would rip off fellow climbers.

That said, it probably wasn't too smart to leave your stuff lying around...

bent_gate

Aug 20, 2007, 12:58 AM
Post #4 of 108 (5406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's unbelievable. I only hope your most optimistic scenario comes true.

I have often wondered if it would be smart to get one of these PacSafes to lock to a tree while I was gone.

It's mainly meant for locking up your pack at a hostel. But if it works as a deterrent...

bent_gate

Aug 20, 2007, 1:04 AM
Post #5 of 108 (5393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bent_gate] Gear Stolen near High Exposure at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And then maybe attach this luggage motion alarm:

http://products.isc365.com/...stVCat_ID/131705.htm

bent_gate

Aug 20, 2007, 1:06 AM
Post #6 of 108 (5388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And then maybe put this Black Mamba in the pack:

Damn bastards.

(This post was edited by bent_gate on Aug 20, 2007, 1:08 AM)

krosbakken

Aug 20, 2007, 1:07 AM
Post #7 of 108 (5386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bent_gate wrote:
That's unbelievable. I only hope your most optimistic scenario comes true.

I have often wondered if it would be smart to get one of these PacSafes to lock to a tree while I was gone.

[image]http://www.pacsafe.com/media/product/product_image/normal/1961_48_1568_48_1305_anti-theft.jpg[/image]

It's mainly meant for locking up your pack at a hostel. But if it works as a deterrent...

That's kinda cool, how much is one of those?

bent_gate

Aug 20, 2007, 1:10 AM
Post #8 of 108 (5378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krosbakken] Gear Stolen near High Exposure at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The PacSafes are pretty expensive, starting at $50

http://www.google.com/...how=dd&scoring=p

But then again, if it saves you once...

gblauer

Aug 20, 2007, 1:17 AM
Post #9 of 108 (5370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear about the gear, that's really bad form! (I would be afraid to climb on it...divine retribution etc)

Was your friend's gear inside his pack????

Partner zara

Aug 20, 2007, 1:17 AM
Post #10 of 108 (5368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That really sucks that someone would do that. I was just at the gunks a few days ago (august 17th). What I usually do is put all the crap in my bag and dont leave any gear visible. Still, its annoying as fuck that ya cant even climb a cliff on top of a mountain without worrying about some jackasses stealing gear.

The worst part is that it was definitely a climber. Some random hiker didnt come by and bag your gear Mad

gblauer

Aug 20, 2007, 1:23 AM
Post #11 of 108 (5355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bent_gate wrote:

Love it!

(This post was edited by gblauer on Aug 20, 2007, 12:51 PM)

climbxclimb

Aug 20, 2007, 1:51 AM
Post #12 of 108 (5323 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That was kind of my idea....but not having mamba easily available in the north east I thought I could use a couple of copperheads....
To reply to someone else...the gear was not in the pack, and I agree it is better to keep it in there; and that is what I do with my gear, but on the other hand, at the Gunks you see many folks having the gear at the base of the route all the time, and if you are an honest person and not a fucking asshole, you do not even think about that gear, because you know it belongs to somebody like you who is there enjoying his day...
The idea of safety net is not bad, and after this I will consider buying one.
And last but not list...I hope to ear for the first time a C4 failed under the fall of this asshole leader...

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 20, 2007, 2:35 AM
Post #13 of 108 (5273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw the post at the kiosk today. Bummer...

The Gunks doesn't have a high rate of theft, but heaven knows, when it happens to you, who the hell cares that it's rare....

Suggestions:
- Describe the gear fully, including markings.
- Keep your eyes on EBay for a while.
- Post on all the sites, get the word out. If the thieves try to sell, someone may put 2 and 3 together, and help you snag the creeps.

- In Future:
- Don't leave gear laying out. Putting it in pack and fully closing will reduce the chance of theft substantially(thieves OFTEN steal because opportunity preseneted itself, whereas they might not have gone and opened that pack to see what was inside.
- Renters insurance(I don't have it myself, but I KNOW it's a smart thing to have.).

Hope that your friends gear shows up.

MikaK

Aug 20, 2007, 9:40 AM
Post #14 of 108 (5220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not knowing the place, is it possible that someone mistook the gear as forgotten? Lately there has not been week when someone does not report some piece of gear found or lost on the finnish crags.

overlord

Aug 20, 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #15 of 108 (5216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bent_gate wrote:

Damn bastards.

LOL, that would be a nice touch Cool

seriously, i hope you get the gear back.

Partner wormly81

Aug 20, 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #16 of 108 (5205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Gear Stolen near High Exposure at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in the first team (3) up High E yesterday. I'm pretty sure we do not have your gear as that would have probably been known when we unpacked for the next climb (we went down to Lisa). Also did not see anything that appeared out of the ordinary before we left. Thinking positive thoughts.

Jeff

robbovius

Aug 20, 2007, 11:12 AM
Post #17 of 108 (5187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wormly81] Gear Stolen near High Exposure at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

let's see, weekend mob scenes, $15 a day to climb, and now gear thievery...

hmmmm. the gunks ain't so appealing to me as they once was.

OP: dude, my sincerest condolences on the gear loss. those things are quite a pretty penny. watch Ebay, for real. I hope you're able to recover at least some of it.

People Suck.

(This post was edited by robbovius on Aug 20, 2007, 11:13 AM)

reg

Aug 20, 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #18 of 108 (5145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbxclimb wrote:
Yesterday, me and 3 more friends were climbing on High E, split in 2 parties. I carried all my rack with me while I was leading, my friend, who was leading for the other rope, decided to leave some stuff on the ground, mostly big cams.

that's understandable - wonder: if they wern't needed why not leave um at home?

climbxclimb wrote:
When we came down we realized that somebody had stolen his stuff, about 6 or 7 cams, all BD C3 and C4.

bastards!

climbxclimb wrote:
Now...there is the possibility that by accident, other parties at base of the climb while packing their stuff, they took also my friend's rack...although I find hard to believe that you are putting a N.4 and a N.5 in your pack and you do not notice they are not yours...

no possibility of that!

climbxclimb wrote:
The other scenario is that Yesterday there were some assholes climbing at the Gunks, and they took the gear...not hard to believe...

there's your answer!

climbxclimb wrote:
In any case if somebody knows or ears anything about this, please shoot me an email.

shoot who?

kimmyt

Aug 20, 2007, 1:47 PM
Post #19 of 108 (5096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zara] Gear Stolen near High Exposure at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zara wrote:

The worst part is that it was definitely a climber. Some random hiker didnt come by and bag your gear Mad

don't be so certain on that point. We were racking up to climb on Asphodel and a group of 5 urban-looking kids were walking along the cliff base. Now, i hate to make assumptions, but these kids did not look like the type to take a casual stroll, and hikers very rarely come up to the base there. At the time I figured they were with a group, maybe toproping, and were taking a walk. They were obviously headed somewhere, and when I said hi to them they didn't respond. The funny thing is, there were 5 of them. 5 missing pieces of gear. (edited to add that the ranger told us 5 pieces missing, but it looks like you said there were more) No one but a climber would want gear, but maybe a kid would like a piece of climbing gear to show off to his friends.

I hate to point fingers and make assumptions, but this scenario is much more likely to me than that a climber stole your gear, seeing as most climbers know how valuable a piece of gear is to someone and that essentially by taking their gear, you're taking their lifeline.

K.

(This post was edited by kimmyt on Aug 20, 2007, 1:50 PM)

mulligan

Aug 20, 2007, 2:32 PM
Post #20 of 108 (5044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They were my cams that were taken. After taking inventory at the car I had 5 missing cams.

2 c4's #4,#5
2 c3's #00,#0
and an old school #3 camalot.

cadaverchris

Aug 20, 2007, 3:09 PM
Post #21 of 108 (4997 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mulligan] Gear Stolen near High Exposure at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

so i was at the gunks this weekend too, we were bouldering on the carrige road.

i saw that group of 4 "urban kids" walk in and later walk out.

i think that to stereotype them and accuse them of being the thieves is completely absurd!

shame...

kimmyt

Aug 20, 2007, 3:28 PM
Post #22 of 108 (4967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cadaverchris] Gear Stolen near High Exposure at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you know, i hate that i made that stereotype as well. however, they were not on the carriage road when I saw them. They were on a little-travelled path at the base of a climb heading towards high e when i saw them walking. they were in an area that i rarely see recreational walkers and hikers. it is wrong that i make the association, but it was out of the ordinary. i have not heard many instances of gear being stolen at the gunks, so i guess my mind connected the two oddities. if i could see those kids and they would tell me they didn't do it, i would apologize for my assumption. however, i'm just saying that the assumption that it could only be a climber that stole the gear because hikers wouldn't be up at the baseline, isn't necessary correct. people do come up to the cliff base from the carriage road.
k.

jgloporto

Aug 20, 2007, 3:50 PM
Post #23 of 108 (4946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimmyt] Gear Stolen near High Exposure at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kimmyt wrote:
zara wrote:

don't be so certain on that point. We were racking up to climb on Asphodel and a group of 5 urban-looking kids were walking along the cliff base. Now, i hate to make assumptions, but these kids did not look like the type to take a casual stroll, and hikers very rarely come up to the base there. At the time I figured they were with a group, maybe toproping, and were taking a walk. They were obviously headed somewhere, and when I said hi to them they didn't respond. The funny thing is, there were 5 of them. 5 missing pieces of gear. (edited to add that the ranger told us 5 pieces missing, but it looks like you said there were more) No one but a climber would want gear, but maybe a kid would like a piece of climbing gear to show off to his friends.

I hate to point fingers and make assumptions, but this scenario is much more likely to me than that a climber stole your gear, seeing as most climbers know how valuable a piece of gear is to someone and that essentially by taking their gear, you're taking their lifeline.

K.

I think I saw those kids around noon near Shockley's. There wasn't a huge volume of people there yesterday (relatively speaking) and it seemed like a lot of the regulars. So you may be right but, and I didn't get down near High E, but it always seems like there's at least a couple of parties hanging around. I can't believe that other climbers would not have noticed some kids rifling through bags at the base of a climb and not say anything. I don't know how many people were down there though.

To the OP, that sucks. May those thieving bastards get struck by lighting or genital herpes or something.

Partner cracklover

Aug 20, 2007, 4:31 PM
Post #24 of 108 (4899 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimmyt] Gear Stolen near High Exposure at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kimmyt - it's good of you to bring this up. It sure makes sense to me to bring up anything out of the ordinary like that.

GO

Partner wideguy

Aug 20, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #25 of 108 (4824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Gear Stolen near High Exposure at the Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't underestimate the intelligence of thieves. Climbers are not the only people who would research and know the value of all sorts of things. Professional crooks do their homework. Nor would they be above disguising themselves as climbers and brazenly going through a pack in broad daylight.

Sorry to hear about your stuff. Mad

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook