RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

S0lid_Rock

Aug 22, 2007, 10:55 AM
Post #1 of 19 (1023 views)
Shortcut

Rope for top-roping indoors?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for a good and durable rope for top-roping indoors at our clubs' gym.

Any suggestions on what rope to buy? (Or avoid.)

Thanks,

/Kenny

usacpnw

Aug 22, 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #2 of 19 (1015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [S0lid_Rock] Rope for top-roping indoors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why would you just not use the gyms rope?

Carnage

Aug 22, 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #3 of 19 (999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

indoor top-rope setups are usually on static or gym(ropes with some but very little stretch) ropes. you cannot lead on them, so bringing your rope own rope is pretty pointless because you would have to start each climb at the top, then walk(or rappel if you really want to) down and top rope from the bottom. only other way would be to belay from the top, which can be kinda awkward and uncomfortable in some situations.

Seems like its more work that its worth though

guccipiggy

Aug 22, 2007, 1:26 PM
Post #4 of 19 (982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Kenny,

Why do you need to bring your own rope to top rope in your gym?

olderic

Aug 22, 2007, 1:51 PM
Post #5 of 19 (974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guccipiggy] Rope for top-roping indoors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Many gyms (including some in Canada (universities in Alberta)) intentionally do NOT provide the TR ropes. You either have access to the top vis stairs or pull your rope up via a parachute cord (and put the cord back when you are done).

stefanohatari

Aug 22, 2007, 2:20 PM
Post #6 of 19 (965 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This page should point you in the right direction:

http://www.nicros.com/products.cfm?CatID=43

Carnage

Aug 22, 2007, 4:05 PM
Post #7 of 19 (948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Rope for top-roping indoors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Many gyms (including some in Canada (universities in Alberta)) intentionally do NOT provide the TR ropes. You either have access to the top vis stairs or pull your rope up via a parachute cord (and put the cord back when you are done).

that sucks, better be one amazing gym then

olderic

Aug 22, 2007, 4:11 PM
Post #8 of 19 (944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] Rope for top-roping indoors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
olderic wrote:

Actually at the gyms I have experienced this at it has been a good thing. You typically are given a tour/demo of how things work, demonstrate some basic competency (typical belay test) and sign a waiver acknowledging that you understand the procedure. Then you are typically left alone - not cconstantly checked on by 15 year olds with 2 months experience that know one knot, one belay device and one belay technique...

coastal_climber

Aug 22, 2007, 4:46 PM
Post #9 of 19 (932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] Rope for top-roping indoors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:

They are, you rap down (a couple pitches I think) then gear climb the cracks back upSmile

>Cam

NSFW

Aug 22, 2007, 8:13 PM
Post #10 of 19 (901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Leave it to the Canadians

NSFW

Aug 22, 2007, 8:15 PM
Post #11 of 19 (900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Carnage wrote:
olderic wrote:

Actually at the gyms I have experienced this at it has been a good thing. You typically are given a tour/demo of how things work, demonstrate some basic competency (typical belay test) and sign a waiver acknowledging that you understand the procedure. Then you are typically left alone - not cconstantly checked on by 15 year olds with 2 months experience that know one knot, one belay device and one belay technique...

What does bringing your own rope have to do with competency? You haven't been to local sport crags I assume.

I've never been to a gym where they constantly checkup on you. Maybe it's your technique?

jakedatc

Aug 22, 2007, 8:23 PM
Post #12 of 19 (890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NSFW] Rope for top-roping indoors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NSFW wrote:
olderic wrote:
Carnage wrote:
olderic wrote:

What does bringing your own rope have to do with competency? You haven't been to local sport crags I assume.

I've never been to a gym where they constantly checkup on you. Maybe it's your technique?

hehe should look up the people you're talking about.. eric's been around.... a while.

The other countries these gyms are in are probably less sue-happy and their waivers stand up alot stronger in court. Basically if you say you say you can do it and show them enough to prove it then you're on your own.. if you get yourself dead they aren't going to pay for it.

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Aug 22, 2007, 8:25 PM)

NSFW

Aug 22, 2007, 8:26 PM
Post #13 of 19 (885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Rope for top-roping indoors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
NSFW wrote:
olderic wrote:
Carnage wrote:
olderic wrote:

hehe should look up the people you're talking about.. eric's been around.... a while.

The other countries these gyms are in are probably less sue-happy and their waivers stand up alot stronger in court. Basically if you say you say you can do it and show them enough to prove it then you're on your own.. if you get yourself dead they aren't going to pay for it.

So What. What does that have to do with not providing ropes? It just doesn't make sense to not provide TR ropes. The simple fact you have to walk over and hang up your rope on each line is a hassle. And those gym TR ropes last forever. Relative to a lead rope anyway.

(This post was edited by NSFW on Aug 22, 2007, 8:28 PM)

jakedatc

Aug 22, 2007, 8:34 PM
Post #14 of 19 (876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NSFW] Rope for top-roping indoors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i was mostly commenting about you thinking that eric somehow needs supervision...

Why bring your own rope? Perhaps those gyms are geared more to ACTUAL climbers.. who have their own gear and not birthday party gumbies that need to be hauled up and cheered for on 5.3's

Also it could be the cost.. they can build a bigger gym and have more holds if they do not have the cost of ropes and replacements.

I'm guessing the routes also have a lead option and you don't have to hang your rope from the top unless you're strictly top roping.

NSFW

Aug 22, 2007, 8:43 PM
Post #15 of 19 (870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've just never felt like gym workers were hawking over me.

It's not a matter of owning a rope, to me anyway. It's a matter of the inconvenience of stringing up TRs. I prefer gyms that make/allow you to bring in your own lead line, just because the gym lines are usually crap. But having to walk up some stairs and drop a line on every TR just seems silly.

And someone jump in here, because I'm just guessing, but I would think those 12mm semi-static super gym lines last quite some time when just used for TR.

(This post was edited by NSFW on Aug 22, 2007, 8:44 PM)

davidji

Aug 22, 2007, 9:23 PM
Post #16 of 19 (854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
TBasically if you say you say you can do it and show them enough to prove it then you're on your own..
When I've gone to gyms in other countries there wasn't any showing anybody anything. I was just on my own.

While they may not check constantly here, they are paternalistic in so many ways. They require belay test, require fig-8 knot so it's easy for them to inspect, many gyms won't let you teach your friends, etc. And from the posts I read here, it seems like americans expect and want that stuff. But trust me, the other way is more pleasant.

S0lid_Rock

Aug 23, 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #17 of 19 (806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry for my rather confusing post.

The reason why I'm looking for a rope is that I'm a member of the board of the club, and we own our own climbing gym.
Now it's time to buy some new ropes, and I wanted some advice on what ropes to buy. =)

Durability and overall good quality is the main priority.

/Kenny

hotgemini

Aug 23, 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #18 of 19 (796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a quartermaster of another club, I'd look at the sterling big gym or jungle gym as a starting point. The 10.4 is the same as their marathon sport rope which I've found to be excellent in terms of durability in the wild.

From there you go into the semi-static gym ropes, virtually every ropemaker will offer one, I can't offer much advice on models here though as we exclusively climb outdoors. Find 'the man' who actually knows whats going on at your local commercial gym and see if you can get an honest opinion out of him, but bear in mind he probably has some commercial arrangement with a supplier so he will probably be hideously biased.

percious

Aug 23, 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #19 of 19 (796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been working at the YMCA for about 2 years now (I just quit however) In that time I have seen 3 cycles of ropes. First we had the Beal Gym Ropes and they were ok. The sheath lasted a pretty long time We did notice a considerable amount of separation from the kerning and the inner core. Sometimes we had to re-cut the ends so the core would match up with the kerning. Those lasted about 6-8 months of being used about 8-10 times per day. We replaced them with some outdoor ropes that were in the back room because management was not getting their acts together. The outdoor ropes lasted < 6 months, but they had a few years of outdoor use on them. Now they are back to the beal gym ropes again, but they have been using them for outdoor programs too! What a cluster-f that place is! Glad I'm done with them...

So what is my point? Get and indoor gym rope that is designed for indoors. They are likely to have considerably less stretch than an outdoor rope and more durable sheaths to withstand the daily abuse. You can also purchase spools of rope and cut it yourself which should be much less expensive.

Since you are likely to replace your ropes again in 6-8 months, why not get a couple of brands of gym ropes and then report back to us on which was the most durable over time. The information would definitely be valued.

-percious

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook