RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

flint

Aug 27, 2007, 3:19 PM
Post #1 of 13 (6941 views)
Shortcut

Hey Slackline Joe.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

To keep it simple, I moved to China and brought along a 125 foot line. I am the only person I know who slacklines here so I only use my ratchet to set things up, normally a line under 75'.

I read in a previous thread that webbing and biners will fail before the ratchet.

So my question is, if I wanted to set up a 100' line with the ratchet, do you think everything would be safe. Mainly the ratchet as I have set 100' lines in the states with friends using biner systems.

I ask you because all my gear comes from slackline express, including the ratchet.

Also, is there a single person set up the would make tensioning the system easier. I do have the line buckel so I can reset the ratchet, but 2 hours of pulling on the lever can be tiring.

live2climb

Aug 27, 2007, 3:49 PM
Post #2 of 13 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] Hey Slackline Joe. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just use pullys and a static line hook up a 3 to 1 and tie it off let slack out the pullys and your done.

Partner j_ung

Aug 27, 2007, 4:10 PM
Post #3 of 13 (6903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [live2climb] Hey Slackline Joe. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you done that before for 125' slackline? I'm no slackline expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't seem to me like a single person can pull a z-drag tight enough on a line that long.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Aug 27, 2007, 4:11 PM)

live2climb

Aug 28, 2007, 12:47 AM
Post #4 of 13 (6865 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Hey Slackline Joe. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well do you ever use pullys J????
my guess is nope!!
Yes you can make it happen

omalavet

Aug 28, 2007, 1:03 AM
Post #5 of 13 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hello im just strating to slackline... i bought a ratchet form walmart the bigest i could find...and it is rated at 3,500 pounds... i dont now what you can do but i now what you cant do dont use the ratchet beacuse the force ate the anchor would be bigger than 3,500 pounds check out htis wbe site

http://www.wanderingphotographer.com/slack_pages/slackline_analysis/static_analysis_graph.htm

(This post was edited by omalavet on Aug 28, 2007, 1:04 AM)

gobennyjo

Aug 28, 2007, 1:31 AM
Post #6 of 13 (6841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dang, I have tried pulleys on a 100 foot line and could not get it tight enough, how high are your ancors, or should I ask how much slack is in the line when your on it?

flint

Aug 28, 2007, 1:48 AM
Post #7 of 13 (6834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have used pulley systems and I don't believe that I could possibly pull out a 100' line. It took three of us to do it on my buddies line.

Plus I would have to find strong pulleys here in China, the land of questionable quality at best.

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 28, 2007, 4:25 AM
Post #8 of 13 (6810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flint wrote:
I read in a previous thread that webbing and biners will fail before the ratchet.
When comparing to our 2" 10,000 lb test ratchets yes that is true but most are not that strong.

flint wrote:
So my question is, if I wanted to set up a 100' line with the ratchet, do you think everything would be safe.
Depends on the rest of the system. If this is a full kit we made, then yes, everything should be fully rated for that use (not highlining safety rated mind you), but a 125 foot lowline should be within our intended margins if we made that kit for you. If however you pieced it together I'd need to know exactly what pieces you are using to ensure we inteded it for that load.

flint wrote:
Also, is there a single person set up the would make tensioning the system easier. I do have the line buckel so I can reset the ratchet, but 2 hours of pulling on the lever can be tiring.

First, make sure you are preloading the buckle correctly. Refer to the first photo on our Product Updates page.

If you are looking to go a step beyond the normal reset system please drop me an email - joe@slacklineexpress.com, I've just finished testing two new reset systems that eliminates the transition slack that happens when resetting on our old systems. This makes things faster and we should be able to send you just the parts necessary to convert your kit to the new design. I do not have the instructions polished yet but it has passed our user testing.

For future reference, it would be a lot easier to contact us directly rather than post to forums. I troll the boards a few times a week but can usually answer an email within an hour of receiving it.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Aug 28, 2007, 4:26 AM)

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 28, 2007, 4:46 AM
Post #9 of 13 (6799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

live2climb wrote:
just use pullys and a static line hook up a 3 to 1 and tie it off let slack out the pullys and your done.

Well, lets just take a look at this. He said he wanted a solo rig. Please keep in mind he said he already has the gear to set a line that long, just wants see if he can make it more efficent speed wise as a 125 foot line is a lot of line resetting when the ratchet only holds a few feet of webbing for each reset.

You would be looking to pre-load the line upwards of 600 lbs of tension (most likely closer to 800lbs). A 3:1 rigging on high efficency, very large sheave, well cleaned rescue grade pulleys is 2.44:1 once you include friction. Cited from a Rescue Rigging Study.

That leaves you pulling between 245 and 327 lbs solo.

Cost of those high end pulleys alone exceeds $200.

Lets just say that if you've done full 125 foot lines solo that way then you would be an exception to the rule. Far more people have a hard time beyond 75 feet with those nice pulleys in 3:1 configuration. By no means am I saying it's impossible, just not likely the average bloke will be setting that solo.

For those wondering a 3:1 with biners would need 350 to 470 lbs of pulling for that scenario. Better call up some friends.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Aug 28, 2007, 4:49 AM)

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 28, 2007, 4:52 AM
Post #10 of 13 (6791 views)
Shortcut

Re: [omalavet] Hey Slackline Joe. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

omalavet wrote:
hello im just strating to slackline... i bought a ratchet form walmart the bigest i could find...and it is rated at 3,500 pounds... i dont now what you can do but i now what you cant do dont use the ratchet beacuse the force ate the anchor would be bigger than 3,500 pounds check out htis wbe site

http://www.wanderingphotographer.com/slack_pages/slackline_analysis/static_analysis_graph.htm

3,500 lbs is plenty strong for an average line under 100 feet, however if it is the 1" varety you'll likely run out of room on the take up spool long before you get a line longer than 30 feet tight.

If you need a quick "plug and chug" method of estimating line load, I built a web based slackline force calculator for that purpose. I based it off Eric's site and took it a step further.

In this scenario the 125 foot line with say really tight at 5 feet of dip would yeild 1159.94 lbs of tension at the anchors. The unit the original poster has is nearly 10 times stronger than that load.

Generally speaking the webbing market tries to keep a 3X safety margin hence the working load is always 1/3 of the tensile strength of a product.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Aug 28, 2007, 4:55 AM)

flint

Aug 28, 2007, 5:17 AM
Post #11 of 13 (6783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Hey Slackline Joe. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the speedy response Joe. First of all, Yes all my equipment is from you guys, except one firemans steal locking rescue biner that is rated to a 9000 lbs working load. I use this because it alows the thick webbing on the back of the ratchet to sit nicer.

I purchased the basic kit about two years ago, that is the ratchet, tree slings, biners, and a 50' line. I then came back and got a 125' foot line and the tensioning widget. As staited before, all lines over 70' usually involve some beer and friends.

I am only in China for another 2-3 months, and don't think that getting anything shipped hear is wise, due to it taking almost a month to recieve.

Anways, thanks again for the response, and for making and maintaining such a great product/customer service. I simply love having a line with on end sewn, and my friends still try to steal my adjustable tree slings.

Happy Slacking

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 28, 2007, 5:33 AM
Post #12 of 13 (6774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flint wrote:
Thanks for the speedy response Joe. First of all, Yes all my equipment is from you guys, except one firemans steal locking rescue biner that is rated to a 9000 lbs working load. I use this because it alows the thick webbing on the back of the ratchet to sit nicer.

I purchased the basic kit about two years ago, that is the ratchet, tree slings, biners, and a 50' line. I then came back and got a 125' foot line and the tensioning widget. As staited before, all lines over 70' usually involve some beer and friends.

I am only in China for another 2-3 months, and don't think that getting anything shipped hear is wise, due to it taking almost a month to recieve.

Anways, thanks again for the response, and for making and maintaining such a great product/customer service. I simply love having a line with on end sewn, and my friends still try to steal my adjustable tree slings.

Happy Slacking

I understand on the shipping thing. On the plus side I believe China accepts the new flat rate shipping boxes which would be $37 for anything you can cram in a 11x8x6 under 20 lbs, but still delivery times there suck.

When you hit stateside give me a call or shoot me an email. Since I finally quit my day job and am now solely slacking I've been working hard to expand our long line gear. In the past it just hasn't seen the ease of use as our short and medium line kits but I'm currently building a really robust line of gear for 100 to 300 feet lines.

Hang on to those zip slings, those things made my life so much easier when we first came up with them. For your long stuff though I did make some similar slings using 4,000 lb test climbing harness buckles. Not quite as quick since you have to double back them but just the ticket for long lines.

Your friends can of course pick up their own for their biner based lines, they work very well and will keep their lines 100% flat.

flint

Aug 28, 2007, 5:55 AM
Post #13 of 13 (6765 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Hey Slackline Joe. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good idea on the harness buckels, the high tension on the 100' seems to dig those cam teeth in a little tight.

I will definitly hit you up when I get back to the states. I am looking into maybe getting a highline kit together. There are some nice looking gaps in the Red River Gorge that I have been eyeing. I read that you guys can custom out a double line or a line with smaller webbing ran threw the tube. Might be the ticket for some of those 150' gaps.

P.S. Even a little 30' line draws a crowd of 30 to 150 people here in China. Absolutly crazy, as long as they don't throw money at me I am cool.

(This post was edited by flint on Aug 28, 2007, 6:00 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook